Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 85/2 RF - Now a comparison with M39
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 67 (at least I think its 67, can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to get up and look for it to confirm) J-9 in m39 is also very sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sirrith wrote:
My 67 (at least I think its 67, can't remember exactly and I'm too lazy to get up and look for it to confirm) J-9 in m39 is also very sharp wide open.

Nice to know it, thank you and congrats!

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sonnar designs such as the J-3 and J-9 are known for being sharp wide open and for having warm color rendition. All lenses are softer wide open than slightly stopped down. It's part of the design. Leitz could not make a sharp lens nearly as fast for many years after the Zeiss sonnar. I have a 56 J-9 and it's a tad soft at F2, but so is a Nikkor 50/1.4. Both become super sharp stopped one time.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best Jupiter-9 #2 and #12 are wide open rest of it F8
http://forum.mflenses.com/jupiter-9-red-p-8-5cm-f2-kiev-contax-mount-1957-t49067,highlight,%2B1957+%2Bjupiter.html

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now after spending some time using the M39, I can conclude that it is much different than the RF version. The IQ does indeed have different characteristics other than any difference in sharpness or color. Or at least I think it does. Sharpness at f/2 is good, at f/5.6 excellent. There is something about the bokeh from the RF that I very much liked and I'm not sure I'm seeing it from the M39. Anyway, here are some images of the lens and results from a day at the beach yesterday. I believe numbers 3,4&5 were taken at f/2, showing reasonable sharpness. All others were f/5.6 and most were cropped slightly. No sharpening was done post camera. The distance shots may have been compromised by the lens not reaching infinity by a hair.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh "the Blondie lens" try it for portrait , I hope you love it like me. Nice piece, congrats!

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here are two portraits from today...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Four more, all taken wide open...

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

W - O - N - D - E - R!

This lens talks by itself, great lens, no doubt about it. This version impressed me by the color rendering, much more neutral than my M42 copy, sharp enough: more than that i'd say, 3Dpopper, wonderful colors, a pleasure to see the photos you shot with it. Thanks for showing here. The old tree - close-up photo - remember me one photo made by the legend A.A. Subtle curves, a lot of texture close to the theresold of the contrast / tone curve. Loved that!

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Renato. This lens impresses me much more than my RF version. I enjoy using this one. BTW, the dog pictures were taken at about f/2.5 - I only turned a tad to see how it would make a difference.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The doggie and Steinway shots are sweet. Kudos! I have the RF version of the J-9 that took a destructive DIY mod to make it work on my Canon. Result is it takes a little extra work to make the magic happen.

Last edited by frenched on Wed May 29, 2013 12:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will say it again the silver m39 slr version is the best jupiter 9 out there i have some amazing portraits with it

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "rangfinder" version, are you talking about the Kiev/Contax mount? Also, do you know the year for that lens?
Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lenny wrote:
When you say "rangfinder" version, are you talking about the Kiev/Contax mount? Also, do you know the year for that lens?
Thanks.

The RF version, the one reported earlier in this thread, is a Contax Yashica C/Y mount. The year of manufacture is 1961. Pictures following.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Thank you so much, Renato. This lens impresses me much more than my RF version. I enjoy using this one. BTW, the dog pictures were taken at about f/2.5 - I only turned a tad to see how it would make a difference.

So ... do we need better lens Wink I love these samples , congrats!

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila: I say the RF version is not as good, but then look back at my pictures and then question myself. I definitely have a perception that it isn't as sharp, but I will need to do some deliberate and equal comparisons to confirm.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no matter what you like better that is better Smile these were mass produced lens, tampered opened etc so copy variation issue also exists

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Woodrim.
I'm pretty sure that's a kiev/contax mount though.
I'd love to see any further comparison you do.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course it's Contax/Kiev mount. Contax/Yashica C/Y is a DSLR mount from the 70.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that, I stand corrected. According to my records, I purchased a Nikon S / Contax RF Rangerfinder lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Adapter for that lens.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
Sorry about that, I stand corrected. According to my records, I purchased a Nikon S / Contax RF Rangerfinder lens to Sony NEX E-Mount Camera Adapter for that lens.

Contax is origin camera, KIEV and Nikon share same mount, KIEV is Contax , factory was entirely robbed from Germany even people were in captivity for 10 yrs.

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/zconrfKiev.htm

http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfs.htm

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
woodrim wrote:

Contax is origin camera, KIEV and Nikon share same mount, KIEV is Contax , factory was entirely robbed from Germany even people were in captivity for 10 yrs.

http://www3.telus.net/public/rpnchbck/zconrfKiev.htm

http://www.cameraquest.com/nrfs.htm

No kidding, they robbed the hole factory WITH it's workers???

Unbelievable!

[]s,

Renato

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes as Germany lost war , properties was taken much as winner could grab ..

Once Staliin was dead these workers was released and after several years may 7-8 they could return home who did survive of course.

Carl Zeiss Jena was 'nice' they said they can't go immediately to production to work, they have to prove it they can..

and Werra camera was born as evidence YES, they can ...

http://camarasclassicas.blogspot.hu/2010/09/werra-design-that-came-from-east.html

I am non stop amazed by both Contax/KIEV line and Werra.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally gotten around to doing a comparison. Please look for it very soon under new title "Four 85mm-ish lenses".

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry if I brought this thread back from the grave but here goes, judging from your sharpness pictures (the bicycle), your RF version does look softer (almost motion blur, would be strange at such high speeds 1/4000). I belief Attila already mentions it being miss aligned. I belief so too. Al Jupiters are too easy to open up (and a lot have been opened and tempered with missing shims, swapped glass or just Russian 'quality' etc.) I had to buy multiple J8's to create one good one Smile I have the 'newer' black J9 RF export version (in English, made in USSR from 1977) and is sharper then your version is @f2.
(like Attila also mentioned before). The yellow tint could be coming from the same problem, that this lens been made up from all the bad parts of other lenses and you would never know it. Try opening it up and cleaning it all.

http://pentax-manuals.com/repairs/j9service.pdf

Good luck Smile

P.s. I bought this lens as it was relatively cheap compared to a konica version but I absolutely love it and don't plan to sell it any time soon. Razz

A bit lazy: Made with my phone sorry Razz