Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-9 2/85mm Disassembly
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-9 2/85mm Disassembly Reply with quote

Hi,

Has anyone tried to disassemble a Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 lens? Serial No. 8910610. Googled and found the disassembly procedure for an older Kiev lens but not for this one.

It doesn't have a mounting ring. The M42 mount is milled directly to the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated. At least tell me where to start. Ive tried twisting the front element ring, but i fear it may not be like the kiev jupiter9 and id end up breaking something.

Thanks in advance! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-9 2/85mm Disassembly Reply with quote

jazzokh1 wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone tried to disassemble a Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 lens? Serial No. 8910610. Googled and found the disassembly procedure for an older Kiev lens but not for this one.

It doesn't have a mounting ring. The M42 mount is milled directly to the barrel.

Any help would be appreciated. At least tell me where to start. Ive tried twisting the front element ring, but i fear it may not be like the kiev jupiter9 and id end up breaking something.

Thanks in advance! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start to disassembly from front also you can find small screw on barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've cleaned one exactly like this. I didn't remove any glass but simply cleaned the moving parts.

The optical block, complete with aperture ring and stop down ring, unscrews as a block from the base/mount/focusing unit. The aperture ring and stop down ring can then be removed from the optical block and cleaned.

The focus ring is held on by 3 screws. You can see one of them near the 1,7 on the distance scale. This reveals the focusing helicoid. I didn't dismantle this part but cleaned it and regreased it while assembled.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: What is the next step? Reply with quote

@ sichko. got the focusing ring off and twisted the rign to which it was attached. I can now see the helicoid full of axle grease.

If i remove the three screws from the aperture ring. would it release optical block from the helicoid?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optical block simply unscrews from the focussing assembly. You don't need to remove the screws on the aperture ring - unless your lens is completely different to mine. The optical block will come away with both aperture ring and stop down ring. If you want to remove them for cleaning/regreasing then it's fairly intuitive. But if you need any further advice let me know. When you do remove the optical block - be careful. There may be one or more spacer rings which might be quite thin and easily bent.