Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-8 on NEX
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:32 am    Post subject: Jupiter-8 on NEX Reply with quote

I'd like to try a J8 on my NEX but I'm not sure what adapter I need. Will the M39 lens mount properly with a Leica L39>NEX adapter? I understand the thread is slightly different pitch. Thanks
Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least with mine it works - never tried infinity, but 30 - 40 m is no problem

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use regular LTM adapters with Russian lenses, no problem there. I think if you have a very early FED lens (from the 30's) then you might run into a problem with different pitch. There shouldn't be any problem with J-8, which is post-war.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks, I'll go ahead. It would help if sellers understood the distinction bewteen the two. Leica thread (LTM) is L39, not M39! Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Many thanks, I'll go ahead. It would help if sellers understood the distinction bewteen the two. Leica thread (LTM) is L39, not M39! Rolling Eyes

No, L39 = M39, Peter. That's the same threadmount.
There is another one, often abbreviated as M39SLR which is different and was used for early SLR lenses.

I use a Summitar 2/50, an Elmar 4/90, a Jupiter-3 and a Jupiter-8 all with the same kind of M39-NEX-adapter. No probs at all.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter, you can safely go ahead. I've tested a similar one and it works fine, even infinity:

(BTW, do you remember this lens? Wink ).

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carsten, thanks for the reply.

I could always be wrong, but I believe M39 (as used on early Zenit SLR cameras for example) is 39mm OD thread x 1mm pitch (i.e true metric thread). L39, or LTM, is a non-standard 39mm OD x 26TPI (threads per inch). So M39 has 25.4TPI against L39 at 26TPI and if you try to intermix them the thread will eventually bind.

I wasn't sure whether this would be important for the short length of the thread on a lens mount - evidently not. Smile

Thanks too to Jes, your memory is superb! I had forgotten. Smile

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're wrong Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
You're wrong Wink

You could at least explain why. And as you're a NEX user with a J8 you could have answered the original question too.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Peter is wrong . . . although I had always believed that the early Zenits with Leica thread were truly "Leica-thread compatible" (but not for register, of course).

But - rummaging through my assortment of old Leica-thread tubes and accessories recently, it's clear that some of them are relatively tighter or looser as they screw into different bodies and adapters. Now, maybe that's down to sloppy manufacturing tolerances, but equally it could be because the pitch differs. Just a passing thought.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
I could always be wrong, but I believe M39 (as used on early Zenit SLR cameras for example) is 39mm OD thread x 1mm pitch (i.e true metric thread). L39, or LTM, is a non-standard 39mm OD x 26TPI (threads per inch). So M39 has 25.4TPI against L39 at 26TPI and if you try to intermix them the thread will eventually bind.

I don't think that you are wrong. A (Google) search for something like "Russian rangefinder lens Leica compatibility" reveals apparently conflicting views. Many people have no difficulty in mounting Russian RF lens on Leica bodies. However some people do. Many explanations are offered including the usual references to the sobriety (or lack of it) of Russian workers. I am attracted by Fedka's view who states that : Very early FED and FED lenses used a slightly different thread pitch which would may not make it compatible with lenses with the ‘true” LTM thread pitch. I guess that the original Russian rangefinder mount was M39x1 mm (as used in the early Zenit SLRs) which was later modified to make it compatible with LTM.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a lens not reach infinity that is lens faulty I have dozen of lens all okay except one.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Jupiter 8 and NEX 5, the adapter from big_is on ebay is perfect.

Dont worry about L39 or M39, pitch etc. Look at a photo of the adapter if it's about an inch and half thick its for m39 Zenit SLR lenses, if thinner its for rangefinder lenses. Mine screws on nicely, no binding, perfect and infinity too.

And what a lovely body/lens combination it is too.

ebay item no: 120894326031

Edit: Can anyone identify the year my lens was made? The serial doesn't fit with the normal convention of the first 2 digits being the year.

Yer equipment gets dusty sat in a camera bag don't it!!