Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-8 50mm F2.0 - extending focus to 0.6m (2ft)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Jupiter-8 50mm F2.0 - extending focus to 0.6m (2ft) Reply with quote

Just recently tried this lens and like how it renders on Fujifilm X-T2. I'm using set of LTM to Leica M + Leica M to FX adapter. It is very small lens and pleasant to focus, but by default closest focusing is limited to 1m only.

Here's short article on how to extend Jupiter-8 minimal 1m focus to 0.6m https://yukosteel.wordpress.com/2019/03/09/mod-jupiter-8-50mm-f2-0-focus-to-0-6m/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cameraderie.org/threads/jupiter-8.39524/

To add- if using on a Leica, place the lens on an M-Mount adapter and file down the Threads where the cam of the lens comes into contact with the RF pickup. RF coupling will hols to 0.65m.

I did this a few years ago, ended up selling the lens. It's a neat trick that works only on the later J-8's where the front of the lens rotates with the focus.

Just to add- very nice write-ups on disassembling lenses on your blog.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing that thread and very useful details on rangefinder couple, I even didn't think about such option.

I also plan to add 0.5mm shims to that long bolts later, because now they are touching each other on minimal focus and there is a risk to accidentally rotate helicoid further while dismounting lens. I think extra 1mm should be enough to prevent that.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The method I used for the lens in the thread: Instead of removing one of the screws, I "mis-threaded" the helical to reverse the action of the two stop screws. The J-8 in normal position has "about" 120degrees from 0.9m to infinity. Misthreading allows greater motion before hitting the stops. Then- undo the set screws for the DOF ring and focus ring, to re-align with the new position of the helical. The stop screws made good contact.