Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 37A, sharpness and bokeh
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:42 am    Post subject: Jupiter 37A, sharpness and bokeh Reply with quote

Here's a couple shots I took today. The lighting was overcast, heavy clouds, but no rain.

first one is the cat:

and a tree for bokeh:

This is the Soviet model of the 2 lenses in J37A, and I'm quite pleased
with the results!

Cat pic shot at f4 or f5.6, and tree at f3.5

Here's a bokeh shot from the Soligor 28/2.8 shot wide open:

The Soligor can focus 9-10" from the subject, very good performance! And
very good build quality, fairly cheap on ebay.

Bill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Bill!

Excellent results for the Jupiter!
The bokeh of the Soligor is - of course, I might say - not as creamy, but still OK for a wide angle.

Nice lenses. I also am convinced that Soligor lenses often are better than their reputation says.

Carsten

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J37A a really good one, but Soligor is not my taste.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He, let's say it loud and clear: The bokeh of the soligor is ugly! Very Happy

But the cat image is - I'm searching for the right words - a killer. Sharp in the best meaning of this word, very three-dimensional and fantastic color (as far as the color-blinded me has the right to talk about that). The glance of the cat is fascinating. She must be looking at your fish Very Happy
Thanks for showing!

Michael

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-37, "basta la parola!" (the word is enough!)

As for the Soligor, it's quite difficult, if not impossible for a wide angle to hold a comparison against a tele lens with regards to bokeh.
I would say Soligor's not too bad for a wideangle - of course, I've seen better too from wideangles - but, in general, if you look for bokeh effects, you should better not use a 28mm lens.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
As for the Soligor, it's quite difficult, if not impossible for a wide angle to hold a comparison against a tele lens with regards to bokeh.
I would say Soligor's not too bad for a wideangle - of course, I've seen better too from wideangles - but, in general, if you look for bokeh effects, you should better not use a 28mm lens.

Yes, that's what I meant. Creamy bokeh needs a certain minimum focal length.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with the comments concerning the Soligor's bokeh. And Michael,
I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees a 3D effect with the J37A cat
pic. I like this picture much better than the one I took with the Viv 200/3.5
when it comes to overall effect. Is it just better in tonal gradations?
Curious.

Bill