Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-21M 200mm f4: (howz this lens.. ) )Now I know)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:22 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-21M 200mm f4: (howz this lens.. ) )Now I know) Reply with quote

I am not able to find the details of this lens. I have seen few results on this forum.. but few.. and I think Orio loves this...

I got an opportunity to buy this lens for $30 (incl S&H). And I Evil or Very Mad am not able to stop myself... Embarassed

How is this lens....

I have really really bad luck with 200mm.. I tried from day one.. and able to get 4-5 different lens.. all eventually comes out be dog/broken.... The best 200mm lens I got was part of 8 lenses lot.. Vivitar 200/3.5.. front coating is all scratched.. but unbelievable sharp.. although lot of CA... And I kept that lot because of that lens...

Does any one has details about this lens. optical design... and other details.. how is resolution, 3-D effect, bokeh etc...

Last edited by Ballu on Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:59 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 21M is quiet common lens in Eastern Europe, read my review here
http://www.mflenses.com/content/view/133/29/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One word: BUY! Wink

http://www.winken-zemke.info/?p=28

Michael[/url]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.. Sent the money.... Will post the results once i will have a lens..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-21M 200mm f4: howz this lens.. Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

How is this lens.

I have four copies of it.
Does this tell you something? Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very very happy with my one.

Scope my site to see it in action:

http://www.aquariasq.com/photos/content/view/28/28/

or look here for some samples in the forums gallery

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=974&highlight=

I am sure you will be pretty happy with the Jupiter.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Jupiter-21M 200mm f4: howz this lens.. Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Ballu wrote:

How is this lens.

I have four copies of it.
Does this tell you something? Wink

Now I know why do you have so many copy...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great lens.. may be one of the most undervalued one...
I got (Total amount paid: $31) this today.. in almost new condition. Looks like, never used...
Just a test shots.. captured JPEG (forgot to move to RAW format setting).

Direct from camera...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If this lens has a label Leica or Zeiss people say legends from it's performance.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
If this lens has a label Leica or Zeiss people say legends from it's performance.

I was about to use same words... But stopped (dont want to hurt L-crowd)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Many Russian lens can be excellent performer in good hands for example if you see our sqwall pictures hard to imagine better ones even if taken by any $$$$$ expensive lenses and I remember for your portraits taken perhaps with Jupiter-9 ? Hard to believe also anybody can take better ones. Lenses are same crazy fashion like clothes for womans.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More from the lens.. the reduced sharpness is due to handheld capture.. I am really bad with tipod (too lazy) and with handheld... Rolling Eyes

(there is motion bur at faces in most of these, kids captures are most difficult.. and esp if kid wants to review wach picture after a click... and funny is.. without looking at LCD.. I always hear, "Its OK.. alright... " Razz )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent captures , nice bokeh and colours !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice pics.
Really a fine lens!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you have a good command of this lens, very nice pictures!

Borges

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone...

Cant think going back to AF lens ever.. unless some one (outside my family Laughing ) is giving me free (but need to get a list from me Smile Very Happy Smile )

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posting 100% crop... need to take the distance of subject (around 100m, atleast 75m), handheld capture, just for fun....

No sharpening.. 0% set in Bibble Pro... from RAW to TIFF (in Bibble Pro) to JPEG converted (in Picture Window Pro).

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I am using this, the more I am in luv with this...

(By clicking on the pictures, you can go to original size, Flickr links)

Little stretch in dynamic range.. and I think little sharpening too...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last one is amazing!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bad problem of flaring and low contrast with my copy of this lens, so I haven't thought about getting another one. But now these great shots are making me have a rethink! Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, your version must be a faulty one, it would be a good decision to buy another. I never heard of anyone who is not very satisfied with this lens. It was one of my first manual focus lens and the results are sharper and rich of contrasts than anything else I've seen before - same as you'll find here.

Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Peter, your version must be a faulty one, it would be a good decision to buy another.
Michael

I agree. Actually I gave Peter the same suggestion some months ago.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Borges wrote:
Peter, your version must be a faulty one, it would be a good decision to buy another.
Michael

Yes.. I reached to this point, few (very few) bad pieces are putting bad reputation to these lenses.

Orio, you have few of these lenses. Is there any difference in this version (I think MC) and the older version... I am not so much into coating.

If you can post some captures with different version, that will be great...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Borges wrote:
Michael

Yes, quite right, you did and I didn't take your advice. Since then instead I've accrued a Pentacon 4/200 preset, two Tamron 80-210 zooms (one for the Pentax ME Super) and a Tamron 60-300 zoom so until now I didn't feel I needed yet another 200mm Very Happy

I sympathise with Ballu - I was having real problems trying to find a nice 200 lens too. Besides the Jupiter I'd bought a Soligor 3.5/200 with a stuck diaphragm, which I gave away for someone to repair, and a Meyer Orestegor with a mangled diaphragm which is still sitting here on the unrepairable shelf with the Jupiter, so I thought I'd try something else instead.

The Tamrons all give a distinctive, somewhat over-saturated look. I prefer the colour from the Pentacon but it's not as sharp. However, none of these lenses touches the quality of Ballu's images from the Jupiter, either in sharpness or depth of colour.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, I like my (Kiev) Telear-N 3.5/200 a lot. It is a Russian lens with Nikon mount (thus the "N").

Some infos here:

http://www.haardt.net/kievtelear200.htm

http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=145

http://www.rugift.com/photocameras/telear_200_nikon_lens.htm