Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-21M 200mm f4: (howz this lens.. ) )Now I know)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:

Orio, you have few of these lenses. Is there any difference in this version (I think MC) and the older version... I am not so much into coating.
If you can post some captures with different version, that will be great...

There are absolutely no differences amongst my 4 copies. They all shoot with identical image quality.
Like the Jupiter-37, not only these are excellent models, but also they have a surprisingly constant quality level (considering the issues of the COmmunist production). They are much more consistent in quality than the DDR Jena lenses.
And, I don't know of any Jup-21M non-multicoated. All my 4 copies are MC.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of these shots are just beautiful. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of these beauties.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Adam & Attila...

Orio, there is Jupiter-21 A version available (in market). Do you have any "A" version.. I took this )A) as non-coating lens.. Any difference in these 2 versions... (Attila, if you can help)...

I think 21A is preset version...
(A: Automatic.. and M: for manual switch)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No clue,sorry, I have an jupiter-21m it has auto-manual switch.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link providing different versions,

http://zenit.istra.ru/archive/lenses/jupiter-21.html

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last posting (pic) for this thread... I did some bokeh related testing..
Seems like 8 blade iris kills the picture in extreme/harh situation... creates some "doughnut" bokeh..

Captured at f5.6,

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu, how can you think about the bokeh?
Forget about it. This is a beautiful picture!
One of the most beautiful I have seen on this forum lately.

This one must be in the Gallery, amongst the best ones here.

_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed! This photo is excellent!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent capture ! Who care the bokeh!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because of the strong presence of the boys - very three-dimensional - I didn't recognized the quality of bokeh until you mentioned it. So this is not a good example for bad bokeh, instead it is a superb proof of sharpness and contrast rendering of this lens.
Very Happy
Michael

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really admire the composition of this photograph - I find it really breaking.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
i saw this lens in my country in good price, less then $20. i want to take it but i still want like 300mm for aviation photography...

then i see these photos, i think i will take this jupie for me hehehehehe

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is jupiter is more valuable than many other lens above $300. Take a Nikkor 300mm f4.5 AI lens pretty cheap and excellent.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Last posting (pic) for this thread... I did some bokeh related testing..
Seems like 8 blade iris kills the picture in extreme/harh situation... creates some "doughnut" bokeh..

Captured at f5.6,

Very nice picture.

There is almost no trace of the effect of the number of blades in the bokeh. The structure of the highlight bokeh is not affected by the number of blades, only the outline when stopped down, so here you ought to have an octagonal highlight bokeh shape -- however, an octagon is already almost round compared to the more usual hexagon. On the other hand, the structure, e.g. the bright edge here, is dictated by the optical design.

Practically all sharp, well corrected lenses produce this kind of bokeh, the most you could ask for is the neutral type of bokeh with a completely flat highlight disk the outline of which is defined by the blades, and even then you might occasionally get this bright edge when the distance relationships are suitable, i.e. the camera to subject distance relative to the subject to highlight distance. With a simpler lens design, e.g. a meniscus or a triplet, you may be safer regarding the bokeh but at the expense of other, uncorrected lens defects and maybe inferior sharpness and contrast. There is no such thing as a free lunch, and there is no such thing as a completely perfect lens which never misbehaves, you just have to make a choice and take the lens which best matches your expectations at a given picture taking situation and even then be prepared for an occasional disappointment, often when you least expect it.

Veijo