Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-12 on Leica M9 / Monochrom?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-12 on Leica M9 / Monochrom? Reply with quote

Currently, I am completing a series of pre-1960 KMZ Jupiter LTM-lenses.

I have the 8 and 3, which I love. A Jupiter-9 is next to be CLA'd, adjusted and shipped to me.

Next are the 11 and 12. The 11 will pose no problems, but the Jupiter-12 (Biogon-based) has a rear element that is going really deep into the camera.

I've read conflicting information on this matter: Does it, or does it not fit the M9 or original Monochrom without issues? Also I've read lenses from 1971-onward would fit for sure.

Anyone here with first-hand experience?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not? You can see plenty of photos taken with Jupiter-12 on M9 in the internet.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Why not? You can see plenty of photos taken with Jupiter-12 on M9 in the internet.

I've seen these. But you can also read stories where a Jupiter-12 poses a problem, so the information overall is not conclusive.

Therefore, I want to identify if there are specific versions/years/... that will always work (or never work) Smile

I don't want to go through several copies through trial&error, but that would just be inconvenient. Worse, I might inadvertently damage the shutter on my Monochrom.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-12's did change construction over the many years and different vendors that it was in production. I've had the earliest ones jam up on the RF follower of the body as the diameter of the RF cam was too big. I've seen ones with the metal guard ring over the rear element jam up on light baffles.

I use a 1952 KMZ Jupiter-12 with Zeiss glass and serial numbers with my M9 and M Monochrom. I've also used late 1970s and early 1980s J-12's. Look for one that is not too early (pre 1952) and for one without the guard ring.

RIMG0381 by fiftyonepointsix, on Flickr

The one above- from 1977, I shimmed it for Leica and sold it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, this is really helpful!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have two J-12, a sliver and black version, it s a lens i really like on my Sony A7ii, i use them with a home made adapter that you can find on ebay for the Sony E mount, they work fine. But a warning, i took both the lenses apart and they to have an internal shim between the optical blocks. I actually shaved off a bit the one on the sliver one because otherwise it didn t reach infinity. So my advice is to get one that was never opened, because shaving too much off the shim could result the rear element touching the shutter. You can find a post of mine in the pic section i posted some time ago with the lens.

Oh the next lens on your list should be the J-6 Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tomas! Yes I agree, the Jupiter-12 has a very sweet rendering. I hope I can work it out in a way that I feel comfortable about my cameras shutter.... it would be fun to have a complete series of LTM Jupiters Cool

I hadn't thought of the Jupiter-6 yet, but I could use it on the Fuji of course Like 1 small

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It s a huge lens....be warned Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Typically for use on A Leica, a thicker shim is required. Usually adding 0.1mm~0.2mm does the trick.

The shim is the same used in the Jupiter-8.

Last edited by fiftyonepointsix on Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really grateful for this information Thank You Dog

As soon as the Jupiter-9 project is completed, I'll dive into the Jupiter 11 + 12.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updating on this thread:

A week ago, I received a Jupiter-12 calibrated to Leica Whoo Turtle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small looking forward to seeing some results!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
looking forward to seeing some results!!
Me too actually... it's a matter of time, I received a few other toys as well (Orion-15, and a FED-2) and tried those first Thank You Dog

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made a walk downtown with my Jupiter-12 last weekend.

I couldn't resist shooting the couple at the bridge, reading each others' thought Mr. Green

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great shot.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2018 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter-12 on GXR