Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 (L39)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 4:29 pm    Post subject: Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 (L39) Reply with quote

Have tested a Jupiter-12 35mm f/2.8 which has a M39 mount (Leica screw mount, L39)

Below are some of the test shots taken with this lens.
The B&W pictures are analog and are taken with a Zorki 6, AGFA CINEREX (X-ray film) and developed in X-tol.

My review has more and hires images and can be found here if you're interested: http://www.blog.bkspicture.com/review_Jupiter_12_35mm_f2_8.html

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish this lens would work on my Sony Crying or Very sad great pictures, and the X Ray film is interesting.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had four of them, very good once closed to f4.

Look out for the postwar Zeiss Opton version, that does fit a NEX.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice photos.
I am planning on getting this lens, but with the Kiev mount. I also have a Zorki 6 so I could
buy one for that if the price is right. Did you use a universal viewfinder to take the photos?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Nice photos.
I am planning on getting this lens, but with the Kiev mount. I also have a Zorki 6 so I could
buy one for that if the price is right. Did you use a universal viewfinder to take the photos?

Thanks but no I just used the cameras viewfinder, usually works good enouph and one can get a somewhat good understanding whats in frame.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I wish this lens would work on my Sony Crying or Very sad great pictures, and the X Ray film is interesting.

Good time to invest in a Sony A7 Smile
I quite like this X ray film but should maybe correct a little becouse the picture with the viking stone art and the tree + flare are taken with Efke 25 and developed with D76

Many thanks for the nice comment!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

Like the look of this older chrome vertions.
Have the chrome Jupiter-9 85mm f/2 which is very nice.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that Jupiter lenses are pretty good and generally not very expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pictures indeed.
Lloydy wrote:

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I don't have this lens but I'm intrigued by it, too.
It's only the big diameter of the rear lens that makes it not to fit a NEX? If so, my optician could easily reduce it to, let's say, 15.5 mm. It won't cover FF anymore but it will cover APS-C, I think.
What do you think, would it fit my NEX if I'll do this reduction?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That reduction may work for NEX, or you will get vignetting.
It's the plastic surrounding the APS-C sensor that causes the problems, the FF sensor of the A7 series don't (AFAIK)have any clearance issues with the Jupiter 12.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't offered the lens up to the NEX, so I don't know how much interference there would be. The rear element does have a 2mm parallel section in front of the curved face, whether that curved face could be ground off to give nearly 2mm reduction I don't know ?

Side view of rear element. The diameter is 29mm

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:
I haven't offered the lens up to the NEX, so I don't know how much interference there would be. The rear element does have a 2mm parallel section in front of the curved face, whether that curved face could be ground off to give nearly 2mm reduction I don't know ?

Side view of rear element. The diameter is 29mm

I don't think your plan would work, as I think the lens is designed to have that specific curved surface at a specific position.

I was thinking more about reducing the diameter of the upper part.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I was thinking more about reducing the diameter of the upper part.

Yes, that's what I was thinking of, too.
But if the rear lens diameter is 29 mm. I don't think it will work. If 29 mm. are necessary to cover the 24x36 format image circle of ~43 mm. then for the APS-C image circle of ~28 mm. would be necessary that the rear lens to be reduced to a diameter of ~19 mm., otherwise it will vignette. With a diameter of ~19 mm. it won't fit inside the plastic mask of the sensor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Nice pictures indeed.
Lloydy wrote:

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:

I don't have this lens but I'm intrigued by it, too.
It's only the big diameter of the rear lens that makes it not to fit a NEX? If so, my optician could easily reduce it to, let's say, 15.5 mm. It won't cover FF anymore but it will cover APS-C, I think.
What do you think, would it fit my NEX if I'll do this reduction?

The way to make it work is to remove some of the plastic frame around the sensor, then it will fit. Wouldn't have to be much because the lens will mount if focused at the minimum distance, but then the rear element is touching the frame and you can't focus any further away.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or to cut the rear lens in a rectangular shape with the dimensions of the APS-C sensor, keep the lens focused closer when you mount it on the camera and after it is mounted you could focus to infinity. Just need to remember to only mount and unmount it when it's focused to the closest distance.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the A7? I have a J12 I'd like to try, but have been reluctant to do so because I'm worried about shutter clearance with the big rear element. I understand that people here have used it successfully, but did you take any precautions or measurements to make sure it's OK? Is it safe for all focus positions including infinity? I think my current adapter is a bit on the thick side, so there's a bit of additional margin, but at some point I'd like to get the correct thickness to get proper infinity on various L39 lenses.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Contax RF/Kiev 4 version of this lens. It works fine at Sony A7 (infinity is reached). But it doesn' fit to other Sony NEX Cams.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan_ wrote:
Or to cut the rear lens in a rectangular shape with the dimensions of the APS-C sensor, keep the lens focused closer when you mount it on the camera and after it is mounted you could focus to infinity. Just need to remember to only mount and unmount it when it's focused to the closest distance.

cutting in rectangular shape can be done, but mind the rotation of the lens when will be mounted

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MartinV wrote:
What about the A7? I have a J12 I'd like to try, but have been reluctant to do so because I'm worried about shutter clearance with the big rear element. I understand that people here have used it successfully, but did you take any precautions or measurements to make sure it's OK? Is it safe for all focus positions including infinity? I think my current adapter is a bit on the thick side, so there's a bit of additional margin, but at some point I'd like to get the correct thickness to get proper infinity on various L39 lenses.

I didn't get any measurements but I've taken shots at max and min focus distance without any problem on the A7
http://www.telltale.it/black-and-white-october/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have too on the A7R and I measured the clearance to be 1.8mm Wink

There is some color shift on A7R so I use the Flatfield plugin to correct, but A7 should have less problems.

http://manuellfokus.no/jupiter-12-35mm-f2-8/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick1779 wrote:

cutting in rectangular shape can be done, but mind the rotation of the lens when will be mounted

Ian said that the lens can be mounted on NEX but it can't reach infinity.
It will need to be mounted/unmounted only when the focusing helicoid is extended to maximum (minimum focusing distance). Then it can be focused to infinity if it's cut rectangular.

But that's only possible if wile focusing the lens doesn't rotate and I don't know if this is the case.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best way is definitely to remove some plastic from the NEX rather than hack the back of the lens I think.

The amount of plastic needed to be removed is the distance the helicoid travels between infinity and mfd. It's not far, I reckon no more than 2mm.

I have seen pics on the net of NEX so modified.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nordentro wrote:
I have too on the A7R and I measured the clearance to be 1.8mm Wink

There is some color shift on A7R so I use the Flatfield plugin to correct, but A7 should have less problems.

http://manuellfokus.no/jupiter-12-35mm-f2-8/

yes, on A7 isn't bad at all, just some really soft corners at wider aperture

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried two copies on the A7, silver 1963 and black 1987, both seemed to work shutter clearance wise, although the silver one is definitely a bit short of infinity on my adapter. Wide-open corners do look bad (blurred/smeared, didn't notice color shift), but the image center and corners stopped down seem OK. Will try to get some pictures out of them now. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The J12 should be considered an f4lens really, as at f4 it performs nicely but at 2.8 it's poor. I find the character at f4 to be very nice indeed on bw film.