Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jupiter 11A on Nikon
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:31 am    Post subject: Jupiter 11A on Nikon Reply with quote

No big deal - as many of you will have done this before, but here are some of my experiences with Jupiter 11A on my Nikon.

Mates with a glassless adapter, so loses ability to focus to infinity.

Maximum focus range is now just over eight metres.

Sharpness and contrast are good, and will only improve as I use a lower ISO and tripod.

These images are at ISO 3200 hand held.

It is winter here, and there is little colour about.
I am pleased with the results so far.
Cheers
OH

Last edited by Oldhand on Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens looks like a solid performer. I have known that from others posting images but these two look very nice. Very rich colour and also looks sharp.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto wrote:
Lens looks like a solid performer. I have known that from others posting images but these two look very nice. Very rich colour and also looks sharp.

Thanks Tom.
There is a saying that it is hard to find a bad 135mm lens, but this one looks like it has potential.
I need an outing to find some colour and give it a workout.
It is dull and colourless here at present.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those look great to me colours are good, the 11a is a great lens one of my favourite ones great smooth bokeh and excellent colours two very hard colours for cameras are red and purple but look at the tonality of the reds

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eddieitman wrote:
Those look great to me colours are good, the 11a is a great lens one of my favourite ones great smooth bokeh and excellent colours two very hard colours for cameras are red and purple but look at the tonality of the reds

Many thanks - yes, the colours are pleasing.
I am also glad that the working distance out to around eight+ metres isn't too limiting for the images that I most often take with this kind of lens. Sometimes adapters can take away a lot of distance from lenses turning them into close focus only.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If infinity is needed, the "Russian" "A" lenses, including the J11A have interchangeable mounts. Here's a Nikon mount ...

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
If infinity is needed, the "Russian" "A" lenses, including the J11A have interchangeable mounts. Here's a Nikon mount ...

That is soooo cool.
So these adapter mounts are M42 to Nikon F? ....... is this correct?
If they fit the Jupiter 11A and 37A, is there anything stopping them from fitting other M42 mounts as well?
Just had a thought - is it the size of the lens barrel that affects the fit?
Thanks for this link
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are not adaptors but mounts. Look at the back of your J11A. There are 3 screws around the edge. Unscrew them and the mount comes off - to be replaced by a different one - such as the one in the 'bay listing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:
They are not adaptors but mounts. Look at the back of your J11A. There are 3 screws around the edge. Unscrew them and the mount comes off - to be replaced by a different one - such as the one in the 'bay listing.

Aaah sooo ............. thank you Sensei.
Grasshopper understand now.
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your test shots look nice.
Glad you can use this nice lens on your Nikon.
Eight meters focusing distance doesn't seem too bad.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:

Thank you uddhava.
I, too am glad that the combination works so well.
The possibility of a simple back flange change to the lens restoring full usability is also exciting.
Egészségedre
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you uddhava.
The possibility of a simple back flange change to the lens restoring full usability is also exciting.
Egészségedre
OH

I did a similar change from a Rollei lens (QBM mount) to Canon eos and it worked really well. Wasn't too hard to do either.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uddhava wrote:
Oldhand wrote:
uddhava wrote:

Thank you uddhava.
Egészségedre
OH

I did a similar change from a Rollei lens (QBM mount) to Canon eos and it worked really well. Wasn't too hard to do either.

That is very encouraging.
I wondered how hard it could be.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sichko wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have this lens too in Nikon mount at first I thought it's modified or a T2 mount with a T2 to Nikon adapter but when I got it, doesn't look like so.

Here's a pc of mine:

[/img]

Great lens btw, at first I was choosing either this or the Tair 11/11A because I know the Tair has T2 mount versions which can be used on my Nikon full frame. Then I stumbled on a Jup 11A Nikon mount and I wonder if it's modified. I even opened a thread on another section of this forum to ask as to which I should choose as a Nikon user, T2 or modified Nikon mount. I chose the Jupiter in the end because some results show that the Jupiter is actually sharper than the Tair from f/4 onwards; and of course the biggest reason, it's a lot cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Well now I'm glad that this is actually not modified Smile.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruzzo wrote:
sichko wrote:

Thanks for the info. I have this lens too in Nikon mount at first I thought it's modified or a T2 mount with a T2 to Nikon adapter but when I got it, doesn't look like so.

Here's a pc of mine:

[/img]

Great lens btw, at first I was choosing either this or the Tair 11/11A because I know the Tair has T2 mount versions which can be used on my Nikon full frame. Then I stumbled on a Jup 11A Nikon mount and I wonder if it's modified. I even opened a thread on another section of this forum to ask as to which I should choose as a Nikon user, T2 or modified Nikon mount. I chose the Jupiter in the end because some results show that the Jupiter is actually sharper than the Tair from f/4 onwards; and of course the biggest reason, it's a lot cheaper, smaller, and lighter. Well now I'm glad that this is actually not modified Smile.

Yes, a very nice lens.
It is good to see that the lens can take Nikon and M42 mounts.
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you guys find the focussing ? I've had several copies and the focussing has always been slightly "uncomfortable". It's not the helicoids but the guide rods which, I think, become slightly twisted and don't move smoothly in the guide channels.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My jupiter 11a has a minolta mount. loosen the 3 screws on the lens and remove the mount. Get a t-mount, take out the threaded part and the rest of it just replaces the bit you've removed. No need for special adapters. The screws go a little further in but thats no problem.

I also have a Jupiter 11, this works the same except I found the ring on the lens too tight for the t-mount. I just ran a dremel round the inside of the t-mount and it fits perfectly.

In both cases the original russian M42 mount is undamaged and can be put back.

sichko wrote:
How do you guys find the focussing ? I've had several copies and the focussing has always been slightly "uncomfortable". It's not the helicoids but the guide rods which, I think, become slightly twisted and don't move smoothly in the guide channels.

I thought that was just my copy. Very stiff and at some point in its life the focus guides have been twisted right out of the channels. (if you have one you'll understand that.)

Very stiff focusing, especially near infinity. The lens appears to have 2 helicoids. Any amount of lighter fuel and fresh grease makes not a jot of difference.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jupiter 8 (50mm) lens to Nikon D3300? Any adaptor/Mount? Tips?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alexcrushjohnson wrote:
Jupiter 8 (50mm) lens to Nikon D3300? Any adaptor/Mount? Tips?

Jupiter-8(M) was made for range-finders only. The register distance is very small compared to your DSLR - ~35mm vs 46mm. You need a mirrorless camera.