Home
SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jim Fiscus
View previous topic :: View next topic  


PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Jim Fiscus Reply with quote

http://www.fiscusphoto.com/ some of the photos look more like digital graphic art than photography.


PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is the "father" of the ultra-realistic plasticky look that made famous so many emulatores like Dave Hill and Joey Lawrence.

While is useful to know how to get this look (it's a mix of lightning and PS) I still prefer Avedon (http://www.richardavedon.com/) Razz


PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:
...

While is useful to know how to get this look (it's a mix of lightning and PS) I still prefer Avedon (http://www.richardavedon.com/) Razz


Excellent. To me Avedon's work doesn't resemblance to Jim Fiscus's. Its pretty different.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dislike everything: style, subjects, illumination, fakeness, and photographer's attitude.
It is nearly 180 opposite of what I like.


PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

montecarlo wrote:
A G Photography wrote:
...

While is useful to know how to get this look (it's a mix of lightning and PS) I still prefer Avedon (http://www.richardavedon.com/) Razz


Excellent. To me Avedon's work doesn't resemblance to Jim Fiscus's. Its pretty different.


Avedon is the "GOD" of portraiture imho. Old classic style but still marvellous.

Orio wrote:

I dislike everything: style, subjects, illumination, fakeness, and photographer's attitude.
It is nearly 180 opposite of what I like.


And Fiscus isn't half bad that his younger emulators. But this style has its reason for some commercial works like movie posters, CD covers, etc


PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

really poor Sad

unfortunately these people are 1000 miles from artistis flaire -- where is the emotion ??

they have only 'crazy' ideas or good equipment or contacts to people they are on the top of society ???

There is only good one pic from the Fiscus gallery
and Avedon is slightly better than Fiscus...

I dont know if these guys loose their key messages or they are commercially oriented ----

I wound't buy any pic

tf


PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stieglitz, especially in his younger days, was pretty snooty about professional photography. You were in debt to your clients, not to your own artistic vision. But then he was independently wealthy so could afford such an attitude.

The thing about much commercial work is that it is like any other business: find a formula that works and then replicate, replicate. You build a brand and make a good living.


PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is very contrived for my eye.
Hollywood style at it's most plastic.
This is what big budgets can produce. Rolling Eyes