Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jethro Tull concert (at least, in part)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

22. a bluesman and his guitar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another Italian guitarist joins the Trio:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is it.
I don't have an image of the final, sadly, because as I said, I was tired and went back home before the end.
So I will use this one, it is a lot smoky, and usually smoky images work well for finals, at least that did it for Casablanca, so perhaps it can do here as well
Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you prefer to see the series as a gallery instead of single images, go here:

http://www.orio.ws/temp/jethro/index.html

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is lot of great captures!One of my idea if I would be a pro photographer make some concert captures as reference.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
There is lot of great captures!One of my idea if I would be a pro photographer make some concert captures as reference.

Rock concerts are one of the most difficult subjects of all.
You practically have control over NOTHING.

You can not decide the lighting.
You don't know when and how the lights will change.
You can not decide how to pose your models.
You can not decide where they are going to stay.
You can not have them still, and you don't know when they will move, and You don't know where they will go.
You can not choose the best point to photograph
You can not trust your focusing and you can not trust your light metering
You need fast times but at the same time, you need a closed aperture to increase the chances of useable shots.
People walks in front of you, people pushes you from behind, and when you finally have a great framing and the subject is good, there is always a microphone in the way.

It's really only little different from a nightmare.

_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio,
Those are great photos, and shot manually Shocked Very Happy Cool That is really difficult. I have shot heavy rock/punk concerts and the lighting is always difficult. I have been using the Canon 50mm F1.8 for this. If trashed no great loss. However, after seeing your results I may try one of the manual lens fer grins. I notice that at these concerts you do not need steel toed boots Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob wrote:
Orio,
Those are great photos, and shot manually Shocked Very Happy Cool That is really difficult

Yes, it was super difficult. And I got a lot of junk shots.

Quote:
I have shot heavy rock/punk concerts and the lighting is always difficult. I have been using the Canon 50mm F1.8 for this. If trashed no great loss.

I know. If I had to go to a concert and take the safest possible pictures, i'd use autofocus too. But going for fun, I would never bore myself to death with AF lenses. I like the challenge of using MF in such difficult situations Smile Cool

Quote:
I notice that at these concerts you do not need steel toed boots:lol:

No you don't Laughing But this is they type of concert that irremediably dates you. The only young people in the audience were the children of the Tull fans. And it would not surprise me if some of them were grandchildren!! Shocked
But out of the concert I had a rewarding experience. A very nice young lady (around her twenties) noticed my Canons at my neck and run after me, stopped me, and asked me about the cameras. Man, it was since when I was 19 or something that a beautiful young female ever hooked me! I have to admit the male in me was really flattered although it was obvious that she was turned on, yes... but by the cameras! Laughing Anyway after the first ego moment, I realized that she could have been my daughter, so I quickly let her go, even if she wanted to keep talking! I am really a saint man you know, I earned my place in Paradise with this, Laughing
Anyway the whole experience redefined for me the concept of "sexy camera". Now I know that a nice expensive camera can REALLY have sex appeal! Laughing Must work more or less like with expensive cars. Wink

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often wondered what the motivation in acquiring the 5D was, and now
I know! Laughing Have you ever seen the movie "Hard Candy"? Highly
recommended, and will reinforce your clarity, I'm sure! Laughing

About the Tull series, enjoyed it and thanks for sharing! Would've been
complete to have seen Ian Anderson and Martin Barre on stage, but that
may not ever happen.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:

About the Tull series, enjoyed it and thanks for sharing! Would've been
complete to have seen Ian Anderson and Martin Barre on stage, but that
may not ever happen.
Bill

Thanks.
Mike Abrahams was really funny. He can speak some Italian. He was a continuous joke with the audience, most of his jokes are not repeatable here because they were too dirty! Laughing
I mean, REALLY dirty! Laughing I think the organization staff was a bit embarassed Very Happy but luckily the dirtiest ones he said in English, so only a few could understand Wink

I laughed a lot when he called Clive Bunker "Zio Clivio" ("uncle Clive"), Laughing

(Clivia the female is a Latin name and in Italian exists only in the female gender, so Clivio sounds really funny to us) Smile

_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you had a great time! I know I would.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pics Orio, I will keep an eye out for them if they are touring over here. Or was it a one off concert? Did you use a tripod for these?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
Nice pics Orio, I will keep an eye out for them if they are touring over here. Or was it a one off concert?

uh... I believe this was sort of a one off. I mean Abrahams and Bunker do their rock-blues thing together now, they have a CD out but I don't know if they really tour, "zio Clivio" (Laughing) is apparently half-retired as he loves to live in his farm - hearing him play you would never tell that, the man bangs on the drums in perfect time...

This Tull cover band the Beggar's Farm, they make this Tull tribute thing every year, they got friendly with Clive Bunker and that's how they started to have the real Tull guys play with them, one time - I think 2 or 3 years ago- the current Jethro Tull came here in full force, Ian Anderson and all, but most of the times they just get some of the Tull side guys to play with them.

hacksawbob wrote:
Did you use a tripod for these?

Oh no it was all free hand - but hand motion is the last of problems - with a fast lens you have enough speed for shooting it safe - the problem is to get the metering and focus right. After having experiment for the first part of the show (and this explains why I have more photos of the second half) I sort of settled in with a f/5.6 or similar aperture, and a 1/100th or 1/125th shutter time - that was an average metering, it turned out to be impossible to meter for each take, there wasn't the time and in any case you had all sort of changes happening instantly - like that additional spotlight of the smoke or the subject turning and revealing a bright light behind it straight into the camera...
So I just set the camera for an average metering and almost always stayed with that, adjusting a bit only when the available light was much visibly lower or brighter.

_

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With those sort of settings I would have been horribly under exposed, I remember a gig I did
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hacksawbob/sets/72157600115702828/
I had awful problems keeping motion blur down due to the low shutter speed I had to select. Where am I going wrong?I know you have some fast lenses but I was using a OM 50 1.4 stopped down to f2 most of the time with an iso of about 400, all hand held, I was getting a exposures of about 30-40 from memory.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hacksawbob wrote:
With those sort of settings I would have been horribly under exposed, I remember a gig I did
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hacksawbob/sets/72157600115702828/
I had awful problems keeping motion blur down due to the low shutter speed I had to select. Where am I going wrong?I know you have some fast lenses but I was using a OM 50 1.4 stopped down to f2 most of the time with an iso of about 400, all hand held, I was getting a exposures of about 30-40 from memory.

Well, first thing, for most of my photos I used ISO 800.
Another difference is, your concert seems indoor, which means, lower lights on stage, and higher ambient light. I on the contrary had near zero ambient light, and very strong spotlights on stage. I exposed to save the highlights so most of the ambient was left black. I didn't have a different choice because to raise exposure would have meant to burn the faces.
In your case you have been probably tricked by the high level of ambient light and took measurement using average centred, which tends to keep ambient visible and for this it gave you slower times.
You should have taken a spot measure on the faces and keep that - OR - do as I often do, and meter with time priority. I find 1/100 the absolute minimum to keep movement decently frozen. 1/125 is better. So what I do is to set camera in manual mode at 1/125 and then adjust the aperture and ISO to the best setting. Having to choose between aperture and ISO I prefer to sacrifice ISO and get some noise but have a narrower aperture which increases the chances to have the subject well focused. You can always reduce the excess noise with Ninja later.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's one for Attila and Iha Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wco63IpwAzU&mode=related&search=

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio! Your pictures amaze me!
I know how difficult concert photography can be. A cousin of mine used to play in a rock band (called GR82CU, do you get it?) and I occasionally shot some of their concerts. I think you did a great job!
I like the guitar shots (a bluesman and...) a lot. Actually, I like all of them.

And I really envy you! Jethro Tull? Wow, one of my favourite rock bands. I guess I own all of their albums. Fantastic!

Last time I had the chance to see them was in 1997 or 1998, I guess.

Nice story about the young girl, btw. Very Happy You must be some kind of saint. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Orio! Your pictures amaze me!
I know how difficult concert photography can be. A cousin of mine used to play in a rock band (called GR82CU, do you get it?)

yep Smile

Quote:
and I occasionally shot some of their concerts. I think you did a great job!
I like the guitar shots (a bluesman and...) a lot. Actually, I like all of them.

Thanks. It is indeed very difficult. I am very pleased with some of the results I got. But I also must acknowledge that I was part good but also part lucky with the best shots.

Quote:
And I really envy you! Jethro Tull? Wow, one of my favourite rock bands. I guess I own all of their albums. Fantastic!

Well, that was not really Jethro Tull, but quite close. Happy to know that you're a fan. It makes me feel less old Laughing

Quote:
Nice story about the young girl, btw. Very Happy You must be some kind of saint. Twisted Evil

Yep I am, sort of. But I should try to forget it in certain occasions! Laughing

_