Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Jena MC Flektogon 50 mm/2,8
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Jena MC Flektogon 50 mm/2,8 Reply with quote

I have a opportunity to buy Jena MC Flektogon 50 mm/2,8. I do not know at this time if the lens informations is accurate.

Anybody knows anything Smile about this one?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something wrong this kind of lens not available. Perhaps Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm f4 MC ? This is a good wide angle lens for Pentacon Six I only recommend to use for medium format camera. I tested on DSLR nothing special the performance on other bodies. On medium format camera a great performer.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I thought something might was wrong here.

I will get better informations, but in the meantime, how can a 50mm be wide angel?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lahnet wrote:
how can a 50mm be wide angel?
Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Because the medium format use a wider surface film than 135 format. So in order to fill the film, you need a wider light cone.
it is exactly the opposite of the same reason why lenses become "longer" on an APS format camera. Actually it is also the same proportions, but inversed
A lens that is 1 on 135 camera, becomes 1.6 on APS camera - you multiply by 1.6, so, 50mm lens on 135 camera becomes equivalent of 80mm lens on APS camera.
With medium format, instead of multiplying, you divide by same amount.
So, a 50mm lens on 135 camera, corresponds to a 31.25mm lens on a MF camera.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On medium format camera like Pentacon Six /this lens was designed for this camera/ focal length meaning are different.

In 35mm film camera the normal lens focal length is 50mm. Under this value we call wide-angle , above telephoto.

On medium format the normal focal length is 80mm.

Under this value we call wide-angle , above telephoto.

Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 50mm f4 on Nikon D50

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for explaining things Very Happy

Back to tropic, please take a look at these pictures of the lens.
http://www.bmw-veteran.dk/jena.html

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not Flek.. its a copy of CZ Tessar lens...

Check this link...
http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00FmRC

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, but what do you mean by "copy"

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I am not wrong, CZ Tessar 50/2.8 was pre-war design. Aus Jena means "from Jena".. it was a brand used by East German Carl Zeiss company in western world before the decision on CZ brand was made (CZJ).
Like other lenses, this is also copy.
Quality.. I cant say much.. never used any tessar...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This a Carl Zeiss Jena Tessar 50mm f2.8 lens after second world war. Jena city remain in Eastern block and they used genuine names Carl Zeiss Jean. In the western block people also established a factory they called their product Carl Zeiss. They fought to each other how is the exclusive owner of Carl Zeiss Jena brand. Eastern block lost the fight of course before American curt. He couldn't used for exported products the Carl Zeiss Jena name, they decided they use for exported products "Aus Jena" and sometime just "J" only. Parallel they still kept Carl Zeiss Jena brand for homeland products and for eastern block. After this short period they dropped this names and used Carl Zeiss Jena on every products.

Sad part is they sold Carl Zeiss Jena brand to Japaneses at the end of Eastern block. So you can found some product under Carl Zeiss Jena brand not from German maker.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Quality.. I cant say much.. never used any tessar...

Just to fill in remaining information, the Tessar was the medium quality of three different 50mm kit lenses that were sold with Praktica cameras in the 60's and 70's. Cheaper than this was the Meyer Domiplan and top of the range was the CZJ Pancolar, so this puts its quality in perspective. It's quite sharp above f5.6 but not good at larger apertures. The absolute maximum I would pay for a Tessar would be €20, and for this older model €15

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well spoken, Peter!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have better opinion about Tessar my copy is not bad at all I used some times with Micro Nikkor at f4 was great. Anyway Peter has absolutely right about order, Pancolar is the top lens, any other 50mm DDR lens just follow that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tessar optical scheme is like the Jurassic of lenses, dating back to 1902.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeiss_Tessar

The Pancolar came much after.