Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've joined the V700 club
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: I've joined the V700 club Reply with quote

After much foot dragging I ordered an Epson V700 scanner today. The spring weather has given me the IR bug again. I want to be able to bring my frames up quicker. Believe it or not. Michelle and I have been doing all of our B+W film work in our small traditional wet lab. The scanner should really bring things up to modern speed.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: I've joined the V700 club Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
After much foot dragging I ordered an Epson V700 scanner today. The spring weather has given me the IR bug again. I want to be able to bring my frames up quicker. Believe it or not. Michelle and I have been doing all of our B+W film work in our small traditional wet lab. The scanner should really bring things up to modern speed.

Excellent news Andy! Congratulations. I'm really looking forward to seeing some great scans of your lovely pictures.

As far as speed is concerned, I have to say I'm a little disappointed at how slow the scanner/software is with my PC. It completely hogs the processor so I'm unable to do anything else till the scan finishes. I'm wondering if I'm short of memory - I have 1GB RAM with 3.416GHz processor.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More memory should better... for all image processing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: I've joined the V700 club Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:

As far as speed is concerned, I have to say I'm a little disappointed at how slow the scanner/software is with my PC. It completely hogs the processor so I'm unable to do anything else till the scan finishes. I'm wondering if I'm short of memory - I have 1GB RAM with 3.416GHz processor.

Badly written software or something else going on - what OS are you running? In XP, I can scan at 3200dpi and do other things perfectly normally, with a lower spec of machine (actually, it's a bit slower at 2.2GHz, rated 3GHz equivalent).

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting...I use a Compaq Presario laptop to power the V700 for my scans - 512 megabytes of RAM is all, using Windows 98SE. I can run Photoshop and tune in to this forum at the same time as the scanner is working, as long as I'm not trying to process Photoshop files over about 10 megabytes. Shocked

Andy, I think you'll LOVE the V700...I sure am happy with mine, although I still have much to learn. It's hard to get away from "full automatic" when the results are so good....

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Larry your seemingly instant success is what convinced me to pull the trigger. I'm not much of a techy person. Full automatic is going to be perfect I'm sure for my mostly B+W scanning projects. I may do some color transparencies as well but mostly B+W.

@Peter
I hope you work out the speed issue. I use a newer mac probook at home (where the scanner will be). I don't expect any speed issues. If I can blab away here while scanning that will be good enough Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Andy! I've seen some great stuff from the V700 as well as our
Larry's work with the EDIT: V700.

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:45 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Andy!
It's a wonderful (and expensive Wink ) machine.
I'ts high on my wish list, but by now I've to restrict to my HP Scanjet...

Jes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting to hear others' experiences about the speed issue, thanks. It seems probable the hardware is OK. I do try to keep the HD tidy and it's only about 20% full. I wonder if there's a conflict of some sort, as I have two rather hefty soundcards. I might have a look at the interrupt settings.

I chose the V700 over the V750 because, as far as I could see, the difference between the machines was not worth the extra cost. The basic machinery and operation is identical. The V750 has an optical coating on the platen glass and it comes with the upgraded version of the SilverFast program (which I've never used). The film holders are the same for both machines but there is an option to purchase a fluid mount for the V750. However, as I understand it, this can also be used with the V700, so no real advantage there. I just didn't feel the V750 was worth it. I would actually have gone for the V500 but for the smaller capacity of the film holders, but in fact this is not really a big drawback bearing in mind the amount of time it takes to scan a full holder. Anyway, I'm really happy with my choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ Peter:

I'm hoping to get the V750 at the end of this month so if that goes ahead as planned, I'll let you know how I get on with my P4 3.4gHz + 2gB RAM XP machine.

I'm not sure if tweaking your soundcard settings is wise since I assume that as you're a musician and you have two, you use them for your recording. You might find that you start to get various little clicks or splats on your recordings, especially longer ones.

Then again, maybe not, but whatever you do, keep note of what you do so you can reverse it if it causes other issues.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, chose the V700 over the V750 because of the same reasons. I have actually only scanned one black and white, and it came out better than I could ever have done by converting a color image in Photoshop.

I've posted this scanned black and white image before, so I'll just give you the example again here, in a smaller image, to avoid usurping your thread. This was fully in the "auto" mode for black and white on the V700. Grayscale was true, black point and white point were true, the image came out very, very close to the printed negative. To me, that is a huge thing, because black and white CAN be problematic on these scanners. The fact that the auto setting can do this, is also a HUGE boost to worflow time. I just don't see why I would want to "tweak" this output any further.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob955i wrote:
I'm not sure if tweaking your soundcard settings is wise since I assume that as you're a musician and you have two, you use them for your recording. You might find that you start to get various little clicks or splats on your recordings, especially longer ones.

Then again, maybe not, but whatever you do, keep note of what you do so you can reverse it if it causes other issues.

Hi Bob Wink My soundcard settings are set in concrete! It took weeks to get them to work together properly. One is for audio, which I use for recording, and the other is a synth and MIDI tone generator. I was planning to look only at the scanner settings. Enough now, I don't want to hijack Andy's thread.

Larry, I completely agree about full-auto mode and who could fault the tones in your pic? Superb. The other modes are picky to use - (did you try altering the size of the pics with all the thumbnails selected? On my machine the size box greys out when you select more than one pic) - and I really can't see that they make a vast improvement for normal size pics.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, sorry Andy.... Embarassed

The more I see scans from these scanners, the more I'm convinced I've made the right choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please hijack away. Cool I'm learning all sorts of things from this dialog.

@ Larry
I remember this image. A very nice and heart warming portrait. Thanks for posting it again. The fact that you and Peter confer on the auto setting is great. Getting the best quality with the least amount of "knob tweedling" is what I really want.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

F16SUNSHINE wrote:
Getting the best quality with the least amount of "knob tweedling" is what I really want.

Andy, did you see Larry's earlier thread about the V700 where we discussed full-auto mode? If you click here and scroll down you can see some more examples.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Peter. The samples from the thread from you guys was my final straw. I was thinking of getting the V500 but after seeing the samples and then finding I could do 4x5. The V700 was the best choice.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you might like these too, Andy, to see how the V700 copes with B+W. These are just gash shots to use up a roll of film for experimenting with developing. (Please ignore the vertical bands of different shading on the left due to different times in the developer). This is PanF+ film in the Y-M124G, slightly underdeveloped on purpose, and scanned in full-auto mode. Again, no PP except resizing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah these show this scanners promise as well. How large are the 6x6 hi res files? How about 35mm?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These pics were scanned in Full Auto mode (with no sizing or resolution settings) from within Photoshop and saved directly as full strength jpegs after minor trimming. The full size image of the first one is 3259x3259, filesize 6.1Mb. Scans of 35mm frames produce around 1800x1000 size pics at around 2Mb. In the other two modes you can set the size and resolution yourself, up to absolutely massive sizes, but the scans take forever. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
These pics were scanned in Full Auto mode (with no sizing or resolution settings) from within Photoshop and saved directly as full strength jpegs after minor trimming. The full size image of the first one is 3259x3259, filesize 6.1Mb. Scans of 35mm frames produce around 1800x1000 size pics at around 2Mb. In the other two modes you can set the size and resolution yourself, up to absolutely massive sizes, but the scans take forever. Smile

Again, the black point and white point values are impeccable. Also, notice the detail in the dirt and debris and the water reflections down by the bottom of the bulkhead. Simply gorgeous.

And I agree that you don't need the massive resolution very often, but if there is a 30x40 print in your future, you have the capability to do it justice.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok my friends the V700 has landed:) Fedex dropped it today. Hopefully I will show something this week. First I need to clean the HD a bit and set up. Very Happy