Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I've entered the NEXus or the NEXiverse... (photo added)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject: I've entered the NEXus or the NEXiverse... (photo added) Reply with quote

...or whatever you want to call it.

And I already love this cam!

Zuiko 1.4/50 @ NEX-3 by LucisPictor, on Flickr

EDIT: For a photo taken with a Summicron on the NEX scroll down pls...

Last edited by LucisPictor on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:56 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Carsten! Can you share with the class what it is you love about
this camera? Other than the fact it can double as a tie clip... Laughing

Thinking about the NEX 3 myself, but in red. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the club and please share samples Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was at Costco yesterday and noticed that they had the NEX-3. They are offering the NEX-3 with 16mm and 18-55mm zoom for $650. This seems like a very good price to me. Very tempting too.

I played around with it some, and one of the things I find most startling about it is how fast it fires off frames when set to continuous mode. This one had the 16mm attached and it was providing a nice wide-angle view, sharp to the corners.

As attracted as I am to this camera, I keep telling myself to wait because one of these days -- hopefully soon -- somebody is going to come out with a full frame EVIL. And then I'll be really interested. Sorry, can't afford a Leica R9. Cool

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fullframe EVIL will surely be far beyond my self-imposed budget. Wink

What I love about this cam? OK...

... it's (ATM) the perfect synthesis of a compact body and the performance of an APS-size sensor plus the possibility to change lenses!

... it has a great size, small enough to fit inside a pocket but without being fiddly.
... it has a very small register distance. I could fit almost any lens to it.
... it produces fine images up to ISO 800 and offers a whopping ISO 12800 if needed.
... it shoots nice videos (even my NEX-3).
... it generates pretty nice panoramas freehand inside the cam.
... it is fast. Much faster than any compact cam I have used.
... I like the handling, even the on-screen usage.
... battery life seems to be more than promising.
... it looks nice.
... the display is amazing.
... it can bring back the joy of taking images. You have a cam with you that generates fantastic pictures without hauling around a heavy DSLR and without pointing a huge lens into the direction of people.

Does it has flaws? Yes...

... high ISO indoor shots can be low in contrast.
... the additional flash is annoying to attach and remove.
... there is no optical viewfinder.*
... the shutter is surprisingly loud.
... it needs about 2 second to start when turned from "off" to "on".

* Well, you can get one by attaching a special cold shoe to the cam and then a 24mm viewfinder or the expensive Sony viewfinder for the 16mmm lens.

But by evaluating the pros and cons of this cam, I have decided to keep it.

My travelling bag might be much smaller next time:

Sony NEX-3
+ Sony 2.8/16mm lens (~24mm)
+ Nikkor-N.C 2.8/24 (~35mm]
+ Fujian 1.7/35 CCTV lens (~50mm, a lens the size of a film roll)
+ Olympus Zuiko 1.4/50 (~75mm]
+ Steinheil Culminar 2.8/85 (~135mm)
+ Zenitar 2.8/16 (for mild fisheye effects)
+ Raynox wide angle converter (turns the 24mm into 17mm with quite a good quality).
Leica Digilux 2
Batteries, SD cards and some other stuff.

All this fits into a rather small camera bag and still offers almost all possibilities for travel photography.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beautiful zuiko 50:1.4! ... but why the cap is so big Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

poilu wrote:
beautiful zuiko 50:1.4! ... but why the cap is so big Laughing

That's the most sophisticated cap ever. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to buy one as well Twisted Evil
I will use it mainly with M39 glass, Ruski glass Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I looooove this cam:

Summicron @ NEX by LucisPictor, on Flickr

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh my, what a gorgeous shot! Shocked Cool Attila, I'm serious about the
'fave button'! Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting very tempted to buy one of these, I love my G1 and it has some things that this camera lacks such as the EVF but I can only really shoot at ISO 100 with it when using raw and even then there is noticeable noise, anything higher and there is a lot of noise present as soon as the raw file is converted and before any processing has even been applied.

It seems few sites apart from dpreview test a cameras noise handling in both raw and jpeg modes. As with most cameras, the G1's jpeg engine handles noise much better than any raw converter but obviously jpegs are much less suited to post production. If I want to shoot raw over iso 100 with the G1 I know it will take a lot of time to get an acceptably clean image.

I would love a mirrorless cam that gives relatively clean raw images up to iso 400 and I think this camera might fit the bill.

I love the G1 but I just wish I could use iso 400 in raw mode and not be disappointed when I get the photos up on the screen. The NEX-3 has better noise handling and no doubt better dynamic range and read noise meaning pp will result in less noise being drawn out of images.

I might wait and see what the high end NEX turns out like, something like the G1 but with the NEX sensor would be perfect.

I would love to buy a Canon version but they don't seem keen to make one at the moment unless they are keeping it secret.

For now the NEX-3 is getting so affordable that I may be able to get one and keep the G1 too if I sell a few other things....

Carsten, does your model have the new firmware? I have heard it make the camera a lot more easy to use in pasm modes....

Edit: I forgot another big advantage, wide angle lenses are wider!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bigger sensor was the key aspect for me to buy the NEX instead of a µ4/3 cam.

Yes, I did update to Firmware V3 without problems. Handling is fine. Of course you do not get the manual control of a DSLR, but it's much better than with a regular compact cam. And a compact cam is what the NEX-3 still is for me, just one with an amazing image quality etc. that complements my DSLRs perfectly.

Rumour has it that in 2011 Sony will market the NEX-7, perhaps a bigger cam with a EVF...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The noise is noise .. you have it also in Nex. It's kind of better controlled because of the new processor. With Nex the ISO starts from 200 - and there is noise on ISO 200. Confused I don't want to discourage you ..it's the way it is.
Quote:
Edit: I forgot another big advantage, wide angle lenses are wider!

That's the only real advantage and again it is arguable .. my 28mm Biogon for Contax G vignettes slightly on the corners .. in pink Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats for the acquisition, Carsten.
EVIL cameras are the path to the future.
I got my GF1 one year ago and I'm really happy with it.
BTW, which crop factor have the NEXs?

Enjoy it!.

Regards.
Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NEX3 and 5 use an APS-C sensor and I've been told it has the same crop factor as Nikon's APS-C cameras: 1.5x.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
The NEX3 and 5 use an APS-C sensor and I've been told it has the same crop factor as Nikon's APS-C cameras: 1.5x.

Thanks, Michael. Much better than the 2x of the micro 4/3....

Maybe is worth in thinking of a replacement for the GF1 Wink

Regards.

Jes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
The noise is noise .. you have it also in Nex.

Of course you do. But much less than with smaller sensors.
Low noise is nice, but not that essential to me. You can see that in the fact that I love my Leica Digilux 2. This cam is fantastic but it produces noise, definitely!

The bigger sensor of the NEX was important for me because of the possibility to create narrow DoF and use wide angles. (And it still is very nice to get low noise images. Wink)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it is I'm not complaining about the noise - it's perfectly usable even on ISO 800. Maybe it's from the pixels going too small with all those extra megapixels, but I can't get the colors and smoothness of 100% crop from Nex as with Canon 30D. I know they are different class of cameras but still .. Sad

The crop factor of NEX is 1.5 x for pictures and 2x for video - i guess this additional video cropping is valid also for all DSLR's with 720p/1080p video modes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My NEX arrived yesterday by mail. I've only tested it with the attached 16mm lens, but I'm quite impressed so far. For such a little device, it can do quite something. It fits in my pockets perfectly.

Now where are my adapters Confused Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen one for a great price on the best buy website but I just cannot get the order to complete, I've tried both of my cards with no luck, had a friend set up an account and pay with his card but no luck and even asked my brother to try but nothing, the order process gets right to the end and then gives an error. It's doubly annoying because the offer was posted on hotukdeals and there are loads of people that have managed to order it with no issues. Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a customer service number you can call so you can rant about this?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They never answer! The customer support is notoriously crap from what I've heard.

It's just a game of chance, 99% of customers are fine but if you do have an issue you have basically no chance of receiving any support.

It's a good price but I'll just take it as a sign, I was obviously meant to wait for something else!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now secured one! That's my xmas money gone lol

On the plus side it was a decent price so I should be able to ebay it at break even or a slight profit should I not like it.

It will arrive next week.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

std wrote:
Sure it is I'm not complaining about the noise - it's perfectly usable even on ISO 800. Maybe it's from the pixels going too small with all those extra megapixels, but I can't get the colors and smoothness of 100% crop from Nex as with Canon 30D. I know they are different class of cameras but still .. Sad

The crop factor of NEX is 1.5 x for pictures and 2x for video - i guess this additional video cropping is valid also for all DSLR's with 720p/1080p video modes.

Are you sure about that 2x crop for video shooting? If yes it mean that is uses FOV as m4/3 cams but it sounds somehow silly, isn't it?
Why to produce apsc senzor for croped video =/

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2011 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely sure Very Happy i can post a screenshot if you are interested.