Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

It's all over...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:34 am    Post subject: It's all over... Reply with quote

My biggest lens is sick... and i feel sad for it. Today, i discovered 2 small fungus blotches on internal elements from my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX II, its the good ribbed version (which is better than the newer versions). I heard that exposing it to UV rays will kill the fungus? Or i have to open it?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Yes, exposing it to UV (whether from sunlight or from a lamp) will kill it ...
Just don't forget to remove the UV filter from the lens (if you use one), as i did with one of mines Wink ...

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful under tropical sun too much heat will melt helicoid grease travel to iris and elements.

if small fungus spots no effect in photographs, suggest put into dry cabinet for a week or two to force fungus into hibernate, from then watch for fungus it should not grow. store in dry cabinet; example: airtight waterproof Pelican case and fresh dry silica gel inside.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hello,

Just don't forget to remove the UV filter from the lens (if you use one), as i did with one of mines Wink ...

Cheers

UV may kill it, but it doesn't remove it I think Dino.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

No, it will not remove it, just kill, but, if it is a "young" spot, maybe it will not affect IQ ...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad
i hate all fungus now.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

indianadinos wrote:
Hello,

Cheers

Dino .. i think exposing it too sunlight will only prevent the fungus from spreading out, it will likely NOT kill the fungus.

Also be careful, too much sunlight will create heat and probably some internal parts may melt / go bad.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: It's all over... Reply with quote

a20010494 wrote:
My biggest lens is sick... and i feel sad for it. Today, i discovered 2 small fungus blotches on internal elements from my Sigma 70-200 f2.8 EX II, its the good ribbed version (which is better than the newer versions). I heard that exposing it to UV rays will kill the fungus? Or i have to open it?

use it, expecially outdoors in the sun, it will likely slow down or even stop the fungus from spreading out.

when you don't use it, use a dry cabinet to store it.

Sometimes it will take a long time (few years?) to spread out.

Eventually, you still need to clean out the fungus. No way you can kill/remove it by only exposing it to UV / Sunlight.