Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Italian film manufacturers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: Italian film manufacturers Reply with quote

Besides Ferrania, are there any other companies that make film that are based in Italy?...Anyone used this film and if so, what do you like or dislike about it.....I ask because I just used a roll that I got when a local grocery store got out of the film business last year. It was labed\led as their own brand, but indicated that it was made in Italy

Scott

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expected crap from the Fred Meyer film (relabeled Ferrania) at ISO 200. However, that is not the case. Colors are good, contrast is moderately good, and overall I would give it a solid "B" rating in the A,B,C,D,F scale. It's not a "pro" film, but I have compared to (expensive) Portra 400VC - colors were a bit better with the Portra, and the contrast was equal (in my opinion anyway). If I was doing some kind of "rating", I would rate the Portra as B+ for my needs. However, the Portra, being more vivid in colors, becomes harder for me to scan, so it evens out overall.

Ferrania scans quite well, and of course if I'm inclined to "pump it up" or do other things, I can do them in Photoshop. Although, for the most part I don't usually use Photoshop for other than some Unsharp Mask and cropping.

I think it is worth it in my case, as I only pay $2.50 to process the negs. They use a Noritsu for their one-hour process, and frankly that's a pretty much high-end processor that is used in pro labs as well, and is supposedly especially efficient with color negs. The nice thing, is that the "photo guy" at my Fred Meyer store is experienced, and he changes the chemicals and keeps things clean on a regular basis.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ferrania used to make very good film in the Sixties.
Then, in the Seventies, Ferrania was purchased by 3M, and they disappeared from the shops.
Then I learned that their factory was producing Scotch film for 3M to be distributed in Italy.
After 3M exited the film business, Ferrania reappeared, but I don't know if they still make film, or what is the current quality of their film.
I suspect they just make crappy film (if they still make at all, which I don't know).
For sure there are other film commerced, but only of the very cheap type, those that you find in the supermarkets. This film even has the label of the supermarkets!
Of course it's not the supermarkets who make the film, but don't know who makes it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the images back & I'm not impressed...Definitely a consumer grade emulsion...I'm going to re do the shots with some Kodak Ultracolor...BTW, it was ISO 100 film, I expected better results

[/img]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand Ferrania is commonly sold as Solaris. I haven't used it yet but will probably be giving it a try as it's the only 110 film apart from Kodak Gold 400 still available (although sadly it's 200 rather than 100 ISO).