Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISO 12800 jepgs NEX5N
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Very nice shots, but I agree with nurkov, better to shoot RAW and clean the files up afterwards. You can see strong JPEG artifacts especially on the backgrounds.

Sure you are right, both of you!
I used to shoot RAW exclusively, recently had set my 5N to jpeg ( taking RAWs with my Ricoh ), thank you for reminding me, just set it back to RAW Smile

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Wasn't a criticism, they are great shots.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm really impressed. And sooooo envious. My EOS DSLR cannot handle elevated ISOs very well at all. Those images look as if they were shot at ISO 100 to 200 on my camera. ISO 400 and greater, you can just about forget about it. I can't wait to get a NEX. Two months more and I should be good to go.

I especially like the first photo in the second group. There is a strong light source within the frame and its fading into the black of night has a textured quality about it, giving the appearance that it is some sort of solid that one could reach out and touch. Very nice and worth playing with.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My old EOS 450D is as grainy as these examples at 400. Sad

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
Smile Wasn't a criticism, they are great shots.

Ian I didn't perceive tour comment as criticism but as good advice only, I have given the same numerous times Wink
..and I haven't thought anything special abt. the pics, but realize that they may have some merit because of the subject matter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Well, I'm really impressed. And sooooo envious. My EOS DSLR cannot handle elevated ISOs very well at all. Those images look as if they were shot at ISO 100 to 200 on my camera. ISO 400 and greater, you can just about forget about it. I can't wait to get a NEX. Two months more and I should be good to go.

I especially like the first photo in the second group. There is a strong light source within the frame and its fading into the black of night has a textured quality about it, giving the appearance that it is some sort of solid that one could reach out and touch. Very nice and worth playing with.

thank you Michael,

and wow Michael and Ian, I am quite surprised to read about the EOS400/450's high ISO performance. How old are these cams? My first dSLR, Pentax *istDs that I had bought used some 6 years ago and which was introduced in 2004 offered acceptable ISO 3600. The NEX5N offers good high ISO performance but for a rel. new camera this isn't special. I know little about Canon and more about Pentax dSLRs, the now 4 year old 'original' K5 beats the NEX5N at high ISO score at dxomark and I am quite sure that so do all Pentax dSLRs released since then.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good looking , that grain is a bit film evocative , definitely OK. Great reportage
Best regards,
Teo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you very much Teo, isn't it amazing with how little light one can take photos!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
miran wrote:
Nice! The NR algorithm is very agressive but the end results are actually quite usable, at least for small prints. Interesting aubject matter and good composition helps a lot of course. Smile

I've only tried ISO6400 on my NEX-5 but could never get anything even remotely passable.

auto ISO on NEX5N goes to ISO 3600, even though theoretically it is a shortcoming of the camera that highest ISO in auto ISO can't be set but since I find ISO 3600 enough good it's not a real issue for me.

Well, I think the auto ISO limit of 3200 is because it is the hardware limit, after that is "extended ISO" (software emulation). If you shot at 6400 and above you will notice the camera takes some time to process the image...
My old Nikon D80 has a similar behaviour, the auto ISO stops at the hardware limit ISO (1600).

At 3200 the nex-5N results are good, and at 6400 is useable for web or small prints. After that images becomes mushy (jpeg) and/or noisy (if you use RAW), but has some of you said, it is better to have noisy/mushy images than having no images at all Smile

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
thank you very much Teo, isn't it amazing with how little light one can take photos!

Sorry I answer so late , but I was absent from the forum due to health problems....
Well , Andreas you are absolutely right about the low light capabilities today, that's what I like too. The colors look good , I don't know about how faithful are they ,The performance is clearly better over Nex 3 ,which holds well the colors up to 3200 and acceptable at 6400. At 12800...mm mm not so acceptable Laughing
Good looking results from the Pen F ,beautiful little lens!
As for the comparation with the EOS high ISO images ,I feel that our friends Michael and Ian are a bit too severe....As far as I can remember my 400D 800 ISO results are not that bad ....but I didn't shoot with it for a very long time,maybe I'm wrong.Anyway, It's obsolete equipment for high ISO