Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ISCO Ultra-Star HD 85mm does flowers
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: ISCO Ultra-Star HD 85mm does flowers Reply with quote

ISCO Ultra-Star HD 85mm projection lens

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with that Klaus, it's all good. Like 1 small

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoo Turtle Congrats Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 That produces beautiful effects

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1
excellent, would love to see it to shoot people

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stunning as usual Klaus.
Well taken
OH Like 1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing. I would love to see a photo of the lens. I am a bit of an ISCO fan.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice flowers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressive for a projector lens, puts many photography lenses to shame, I think you could pass the pictures off as coming from the Leica 90/2 APO Asph quite easily.
Any CA from it?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Dog Congrats

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
That's impressive for a projector lens, puts many photography lenses to shame, I think you could pass the pictures off as coming from the Leica 90/2 APO Asph quite easily.
Any CA from it?

Hmm, too bad I don't have that Leica Apo here, but I do have the Leica Super-Colorplan P2 2.5/90mm and will post pictures I already took a bit later this week. This latest projection lens is supposed to be matching the Leica Apo 90mm and I also read it has one aspehric element built into. So watch out for that one...

Honestly, the deeper I dig into these lenses and the more I work with them, the more I am amazed how well they perform!!

This ISCO HD lens has a bit CA, but gets hardly ever visible.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the 90mm version of this ISCO as well as the Schneider Cine-Xenon 2/90 equivalent and the ISCO is slightly sharper but has less contrast, the ISCO is slightly cooler in colour reproduction. Both are superb though, but I use the Schneider much more often because the ISCO is 3x the size and weight.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1

SUperb photos!!!
Warm and deep colours and a very pleasing bokeh that is a bit unusual I find.
Maybe not razor sharp but it makes up for it with its rendering!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: ISCO Ultra Star HD 80mm Reply with quote

Just found another example of the same family:
ISCO Ultra Star HD 80mm - 3.15in

I always wanted a Schneider Cinelux, and after finding that some Isco lenses were almost identical to Schneider-branded ones, I decided to try to find an Isco projection lens for an affordable price, instead of the more prestigious Schneider's (like those marked for both 35mm and 70mm use).
The late partly plastic Isco optics made for 35mm cameras seem to have exactly the same optical project/specs as the Schneider's.
Maybe one day I will remove a back group and compare.
My impression is that the 1.9/50mm, 2.8/35mm and 4/28mm of the two brands have the same glass.
From what I've read on this forum projection lenses don't necessarily have a counterpart.
On this same thread the owner of another Ultra Star HD (85mm instead of 80mm) reported that his objective is different from the Schneider, both physically and in the way it renders.
There were so many different models/versions of Schneider's and Isco's projection lenses that were sold at different times! I got lost.
I have a few catalogs but they represent only a small part of the past production.
The Ultra Star HD might well be a siamese twin of another Schneider optic...

Under a practical point of view, if it swirls more and has a smoother bokeh I'm just happy about that.
The pictures I have seen online seem to be very sharp in the center.
The combination of these factors would make it a perfect lens for conversion.
The focal is a tad short for cameras with a mirror box, but the size is quite small for an f/2.
I hope it will be doable, maybe with an M52 or M65 helicoid and the back of the lens recessed as much as possible.

The lens is described as like new, and I paid it a very fair price. I just hope it can be easily adapted...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ISCO Ultra Star HD 80mm Reply with quote

cyberjunkie wrote:
Just found another example of the same family: ISCO Ultra Star HD 80mm - 3.15in.
I just hope it can be easily adapted...

Many projection lenses have parts that can be unscrewed, revealing useful threads. From my Isco Ultra star HD 90, the metal cylinder with the name on it can be removed, revealing a M60 thread. My chinese manual eos extension tubes have M60 threads as well, but they appear to have a slightly different pitch, they don't screw on fully. Maybe a 62 to 60mm step down adapter is the easiest way to give you a standard filter size to adapt from. Alternatively, pressfitting 57mm, 55mm or 52mm tubes on the lenses' rear with a bit of teflon or electrical tape may be the easier way to go. Rafcamera makes a nice 52.5mm adapter if memory serves me well, if you prefer a less DIY approach.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the info.
The lens doesn't look big as other "gold" cine lenses, nor too long.

I hope it will be easy enough to adapt.
These lenses were made in a number of slightly different focals, I guess to adapt to the size of the cinema hall.
It should be safe to imply that different focal lengths used the same lens design.
If it's true, it should mean that the performance of any Ultra HD model should more or less match the others.
It would be encouraging, the 85mm shot very detailed pictures with nice bokeh.
Dr. Klaus shot those pics... and I guess he knows much more than I do Smile
Any info would be appreciated.
I'm intrigued by the contiguity of Schneider and Isco proj lenses.
My educated guess is that they have much in common, but I have no idea if one line complemented the other, or were substantially identical and served different markets.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few quick examples from my Isco Ultra Star HD 90 on my Sony A7:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick, that first one stands out and is nice. Have you tried other objects too?
I think it might perform well.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Dick, that first one stands out and is nice. Have you tried other objects too?
I think it might perform well.

I haven't used this lens much at all, so far. These are just a few test pics to show rendering and such. You can see the same rainbow flare in the last photo I see in some of my Schneiders. I didn't use any lens hood.

You are right, I think it may work well for other subjects as well.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 wow, very nice Klaus..

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really nice IQ Klaus (from the lens), and very nicely done (as always from the flower king) Smile