Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this fungus?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:40 am    Post subject: Is this fungus? Reply with quote

I don't know what this is. I thought it was fungus, and it might be, but it appears to be little 3 dimensional clumps such as oil spots or other matter.

Last edited by jjphoto on Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is not fungus, but as you think it could be some small fluid drops, condensed moisture.
Because moisture is a good starting point for fungus, you better try to get rid of it - my opinon.
Probably it goes away when you store the lens some days open in a room with normal humidity?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patterns like these are almost always condensation marks - fungus has a much less mechanical and more organic regularity.

There may be other causes, too - I own one lens with a similar dot pattern which is, under a strong loupe, made up of small bubbles, quite obviously a result of something gassing out in the cement.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in a lens that has a large amount of bellows action (it moves lots of air in and out) from minimum focus to infinity. I think this has caused oil to be sprayed onto this element that is closest to where the lens expansion takes place. It doesn't look like fungus to me, but better safe than sorry.

I think I'll see about getting it cleaned anyway.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sevo wrote:
There may be other causes, too - I own one lens with a similar dot pattern which is, under a strong loupe, made up of small bubbles, quite obviously a result of something gassing out in the cement.

I think that normally occurs between lens elements that have been cemented. The spots on my lens appear to be on an outside surface of an element and not between two cemented elements.

JJ

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this kind of thing when a lens has been heavily misted up after bringing it in to a warm room from freezing outside. I don't think this can happen in Oz though! Smile