Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is this a common ebay practice?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Is this a common ebay practice? Reply with quote

I was bidding on a lens i wanted and i was wining until the last minute, then some user called r***a started bidding, until he out bid me in the last minute, and then after the auction is closed, a message from ebay is on my mailbox saying that the last bidder retracted due to "incorrect typing" on the last bid. The auction was about to close for 90 usd, and ended up almost double (my limit was 201). This user tried many times by bidding on 100 usd, then 150, then 200 then something above 200, (and thus out bid me). What do you think? is this normal?
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Is this a common ebay practice? Reply with quote

poncho_morales wrote:
What do you think? is this normal?
Thanks in advance

I guess that r*** had very few evaluations ... Sounds to me like a seller's friend trying to boost the price Confused Does the seller have good ratings ? A link to the auction would be useful.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it was the seller trying to inflate the price, but I doubt eBay would do anything about it Sad just snipe instead of using autobid, to prevent this kind of thing from happening.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ebay item was this:

Click here to see on Ebay

What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What program is it needed to snipe? i've heard of it but i've never used it nor remember where to get it. I guess it's time to learn something new Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The seller is one of Adorama's junk and second hand outlet aliases. Usually no place to get a good bargain, because they have the most expensive shipping around. But at the volumes they handle, they certainly will be absolutely straight where petty ebay criminality like inflating biddings is concerned - that only works out (if at all) on a hit-and-run scale where the seller has to establish a completely new identity after a few months.

Sevo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the negative evaluations, it reminds me old good Rocky ...

I wouldn't take the offer. Nothing guarantees you that the lens is not broken in 3 pieces as it happened to another customer.

poncho_morales wrote:
What program is it needed to snipe? i've heard of it but i've never used it nor remember where to get it. I guess it's time to learn something new Very Happy

I'm using JBidwatcher (http://www.jbidwatcher.com), nice little program in Java, runs well under Windows and Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sniping I use www.esnipe.com. They'll do the bidding for you. I'm using their service for years now and they never let me down.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say I'm keen on those bid bots for Ebay. I'd prefer a bargain and don't mind waiting.
As for that second offer, let him relist the item, if he's been up to dodgy stuff it will have back fired on him and he'll have to pay a relisting fee. I have bought on second offer before but the price was too my liking.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xjjohnno wrote:
Can't say I'm keen on those bid bots for Ebay. I'd prefer a bargain and don't mind waiting.

I did that too in the past, but it is really exhaustive to bid on items in the middle of the night. Not to mention the adrenaline rush, causing sleepless nights. That's a drawback of buying lenses internationally Very Happy

So for me eSnipe.com was the best solution.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the tips, i'll give the sniping programs a try, and see if i get lucky next time Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is this a common ebay practice? Reply with quote

poncho_morales wrote:
I was bidding on a lens i wanted and i was wining until the last minute, then some user called r***a started bidding, until he out bid me in the last minute, and then after the auction is closed, a message from ebay is on my mailbox saying that the last bidder retracted due to "incorrect typing" on the last bid. The auction was about to close for 90 usd, and ended up almost double (my limit was 201). This user tried many times by bidding on 100 usd, then 150, then 200 then something above 200, (and thus out bid me). What do you think? is this normal?
Thanks in advance

looks like r**a got into a bidding war with _**p

if r**a withdraws last bid, _**p wins item.

both r**a and _**p outbid you.

i see nothing abnormal here except the bid withdrawal which seems legit.

sniping is normal.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep _***p is me Smile and the a*** placed some strange 4 bids in a row to discover my limit

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was obviously a friend of the seller or perhaps the seller himself in a disguised account.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bidding pattern is typical of shill bidding, but you can't prove it, unfortunately. Exactly the same pattern is exhibited by keen rivals.
For sniping, I use www.snip.pl, and it's been flawless for years. You get ten free snipes to start off and then pay a few bucks - actually, I paid ten Euros four or five years ago and have had a couple of hundred successful snipes so far for that money.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.jbidwatcher.com

free and works perfectly. Please make a small donation to author he made damn good job for us!