Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there any 28mm f2 that's sharp enough wide open
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RnR wrote:
Although those Leica results is causing me to question my satisfaction :p

28 on the nex is what 43ish? Perfect normal.

DSC06832 by unoh7, on Flickr

DSC06990 by unoh7, on Flickr

The step from a budget 28/2 like the Kiron, which I see going even under 80USD, to Nikon 28/2 is not that much on a Nex, especially, but the leap from there to a Voigtlander is huge. I was shocked, and could not believe the famous Nikon could be so outclassed. From the 360ish CV to the 28 Cron (2200) is fairly mild but obvious.

So the extra money for the CV gets you both far better image quality, and far better handling. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2200 for the Summicron?

Bah, save 2100, get a Super-Cinelux and a helicoid.

Super-Cinelux also has the bling bling of being anodised in a golden finish. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nikon 28mm f/2

Multi coated, close focusing down to 1 foot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
2200 for the Summicron?

Super-Cinelux also has the bling bling of being anodised in a golden finish. Wink

Really impossible for you to make a suggestion without insult? You were also insufferable when I posted images from the 28 cron on first purchase. Those were the days when all your examples were muddy HDR edits where no one could tell a thing about the lens.

You have come along way in your photography, but not as far in your manners.

I think that would be a fun lens to own, but hardly practical as a daily user, unless one added an aperture. Unlike you, I feel no need to ridicule others choices.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody has experience with the Canon FDn 28 f2 ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
iangreenhalgh1 wrote:
2200 for the Summicron?

Really impossible for you to make a suggestion without insult? You were also insufferable when I posted images from the 28 cron on first purchase. Those were the days when all your examples were muddy HDR edits where no one could tell a thing about the lens.

You have come along way in your photography, but not as far in your manners.

I think that would be a fun lens to own, but hardly practical as a daily user, unless one added an aperture. Unlike you, I feel no need to ridicule others choices.

There was no intention of ridicule or insult in what I wrote, you just chose to take it that way.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A question for Ian.
Is there a Super-Cinelux in 28mm?
I have looked for such but the shortest focal length that I have seen is 45mm.
No doubt about the sharpness in your images Ian - beautiful.
An aperture control would be handy for sure.
Thanks for sharing
OH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:
The step from a budget 28/2 like the Kiron, which I see going even under 80USD, to Nikon 28/2 is not that much on a Nex, especially, but the leap from there to a Voigtlander is huge. I was shocked, and could not believe the famous Nikon could be so outclassed. From the 360ish CV to the 28 Cron (2200) is fairly mild but obvious.

So the extra money for the CV gets you both far better image quality, and far better handling. Smile

Oooh the Leica renders well Smile I'm wondering if you had a poor copy of the Nikon? I was really impressed with mine and would have kept it over the Ultron. My Nikon was far, far better than either Vivitar I tried. More impressive than the Nikon 24/2 AI I owned as well, which has a bit of a glow wide open (not a massive problem, but not as sharp as I was hoping). That's the problem with old lenses I guess!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did like the Ultron though Like 1 small

Victorious Vintage I by <<BackToTheFuture>>, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
A question for Ian.
Is there a Super-Cinelux in 28mm?
I have looked for such but the shortest focal length that I have seen is 45mm.
No doubt about the sharpness in your images Ian - beautiful.
An aperture control would be handy for sure.
Thanks for sharing
OH

Yes, they go down to 24mm. I think the progression is 24, 26, 28, 30, 32.5, 35, 37.5, 40 and so on to at least 100mm

I have 30, 37.5, 45, 60 and 90, all same quality.

Upto 45mm are only usable on MILC due to the back focus length, above 45mm they are mountable on a DSLR.

Some of them, but not all, unscrew into two parts, and those ones are pretty easy to add an aperture to.

The others, you could probably get away with using an aperture behind the lens; I have an ISCO 45mm that I mounted this way and that works fine with the aperture behind rather than at the optical centre.

They are worth the effort to get working as the quality is as good as anything you can buy really. These were 2-3000usd optics and contain aspherics and exotic glasses.

If wide open performance is the key criteria, then the cine lenses really are highly suitable as they are optimised for that.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Voigtlander is interesting it would be nice if its a small lens+adapter combination I think my Nikon ai 35mm f2 is a little big for the Nex/a3000.But I not sure if I want to spend that money when Sony has an FE 28mm f2 lens att the same price that's supposed to be good.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
But I not sure if I want to spend that money when Sony has an FE 28mm f2 lens att the same price that's supposed to be good.

That's certainly an argument pro Sony as long as you plan to stay with Sony forever as otherwise the Sony lens is more or less useless.
I do have some primes in Sony E-mount for my NEX but those cannot be used on my other cameras with other mounts like MFT or Leica-M. Therefore for me the better option was for sure the Voigtländer lens which is certainly very good, though I don't know how it compares to the Sony 28/2 lens.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 28mm f/2 is quite good, not only at f/2 but it's excellent from f/2.8 onwards, and has very low distortion and deep bold colours, and has excellent performance not only at close distance but at far distances as well. It is far far better at f/2.8. Remember also that this is a 1970's lens design being reviewed 43 years later, and does not use aspherical elements.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Nikkor 28mm f/2 is quite good, not only at f/2 but it's excellent from f/2.8 onwards, and has very low distortion and deep bold colours, and has excellent performance not only at close distance but at far distances as well. It is far far better at f/2.8. Remember also that this is a 1970's lens design being reviewed 43 years later, and does not use aspherical elements.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tested a few 28/2, also in direct comparison. Zuiko 28/2, a few Vivitars and Panagors 28/2, Ultron 28/1.9, Vivitar Series 1 28/1.9 were are beaten by Nikkor 28/2 Ai, it's a beast.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

memetph wrote:
Nobody has experience with the Canon FDn 28 f2 ?

it's a fantastic lens and very sharp even wide open but ended up selling it because 2.8/28 FDn is priced about 1/3 and it's just as good. it was better than nikkor 2/28 in every aspect except build quality. still FDn 2/28 is even cheaper than nikon 2.8/28!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ManualFocus-G wrote:
Tried the CV Ultron 28/1.9 which was nice, but a pretty long MFD of a metre or so. Worked nicely on the nex-5n I used it with at the time though.

MFD is a bit less than 0.7 m (wide open), lesser if stopped down.

Examples from an APS-C camera (Ricoh GXR-M) shot today all at F1.9. I would definitely consider the sharpness as good enough even fully open:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Vivitar 2/28 Close Focus (must say Close Focus) all at f/2 on NEX-5N...

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 24mm F2.2 projection lens, converted to M42, which can be used on NEX. It has amazing sharpness and no geometric distortions at all. Came from early DLP projector, made in Japan. Samples will be posted shortly.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C/Y Contax Zeiss 28/2 "Hollywood".

No lens is perfect sharp at F2 open aperture, especially a wide angle like 28mm lens design.
50/1.4's are already sharp at F2. If you do need to shoot wide open into low light, considering
a better camera with better HighISO capabilities. Wink

For instance, i'd like to have at least 10 stops of DR at a given ISO value, for instance 1600 or 3200,
if needed. 6-8 DR stops are too less for my taste then, but i don't usually shoot >800, very seldom
at 1600, and not further. I could use the A7 with 3200, and some post processing.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

doomed-forever wrote:
C/Y Contax Zeiss 28/2 "Hollywood".

No lens is perfect sharp at F2 open aperture, especially a wide angle like 28mm lens design.
50/1.4's are already sharp at F2. If you do need to shoot wide open into low light, considering
a better camera with better HighISO capabilities. Wink .

I respectfully disagree, I have lenses that ARE amazingly sharp wide open.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightshow wrote:
I respectfully disagree, I have lenses that ARE amazingly sharp wide open.

+1. See my examples of the CV 28/1.9 above.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there any 28mm f2 that's sharp enough wide open Reply with quote

Zeeke wrote:
Hello I want an 28mm f2 as normal for my nex and wonder what you recommend with ok sharpness wide open.

In my opinion, the Sony FE 28mm F2 is one of the best options. This lens has several features that deserve attention:
1) Modern design, optically well corrected
2) Compact and lightweight
3) Do not need an adapter
4) Reasonable price
5) Can eventually be used with FF cameras of the Sony A7 series
6) Turns into a ultra-wide angle or fisheye lens with moderately-priced dedicated converters

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is there any 28mm f2 that's sharp enough wide open Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
Zeeke wrote:
Hello I want an 28mm f2 as normal for my nex and wonder what you recommend with ok sharpness wide open.

In my opinion, the Sony FE 28mm F2 is one of the best options. This lens has several features that deserve attention:
1) Modern design, optically well corrected
2) Compact and lightweight
3) Do not need an adapter
4) Reasonable price
5) Can eventually be used with FF cameras of the Sony A7 series
6) Turns into a ultra-wide angle or fisheye lens with moderately-priced dedicated converters

+1
Or, if you can live with f/2.8 and 30mm, Sigma Art 30mm f/2.8 is one of the best APSC normal lenses at an unbeatable price - ~200$.
It's very sharp (even wide opened) and has AF for when it's needed. This way you are settled for the normal FL and free to hunt later for older lenses with charming character and special IQ or to adapt HQ projection lenses, as Ian suggested.
IMO, to have at least one trustfull AF normal lens is mandatory.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He liked that. I wonder have you got a lens yet Zeeke?