Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a Zenitar M 50mm f/1.7 that has not been serviced?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Is there a Zenitar M 50mm f/1.7 that has not been serviced? Reply with quote

I have noticed that every Zenitar M 50mm f/1.7 lens I've seen have the typical marks of having been worked on.
First of all, what needs to be serviced? Old lubrication?

Secondly. A few days ago I inspected every ebay listing and as expected all of them had the signs. A few were untouched at the front but all had signs at the rear end.

Request: Do you have a mint condition Zenitar, and if so does it work?

The question arose after trying two copies that just wasn't as good as they probably should be.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lenses that can have issues like using a new grease type and it breaks down after some time, so all lenses of a run could be affected, so finding one from an auction site that hasn't been opened up may be near impossible, you could ask a seller if they come across any untouched copies that you would be interested, they will exist, but no guarantee you'll find a better performer.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like Helios and eastern Germany lenses , most of them (probably all) would need service for dried grease, haze (should that bad grease produce the haze?) in the optics etc. Voigtlander DKL suffer from bad glue between optics (Canada balsam?, I'm not sure ) . My only lenses that had no issues are the Zeiss C/Y, neither of them ever need it, Topcor ain't smooth like new ,but still ok .

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few European lenses that are still in excellent functioning condition. Schneider and Carl Zeiss (west) seems the best of the German lenses that I have. Of course Pentax are the best in this regard, and Japanese lenses are generally better in this regard. But I have examples of Schacht, Enna , Meyer , Steinheil and even CZJ that function properly. But the good examples of CZJ are not common at all. As far as Soviet lenses I have so few examples that I can't speak to the issue. Voigtlander separation issues are bigger problem. Repairing those is not for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a few European lenses that are still in excellent functioning condition. Schneider and Carl Zeiss (west) seems the best of the German lenses that I have. Of course Pentax are the best in this regard, and Japanese lenses are generally better in this regard. But I have examples of Schacht, Enna , Meyer , Steinheil and even CZJ that function properly. But the good examples of CZJ are not common at all. As far as Soviet lenses I have so few examples that I can't speak to the issue. Voigtlander separation issues are bigger problem. Repairing those is not for the faint of heart.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had almost mint Zenitar 50/1.7 before. Still regret about selling it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linebrell: most of the russian lenses ,show nice and new , but suffer from stiff focus ,oily blades and haze ,Wich I suspect it's got to do with the grease they used

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kiddo wrote:
Linebrell: most of the russian lenses ,show nice and new , but suffer from stiff focus ,oily blades and haze ,Wich I suspect it's got to do with the grease they used

This one was nice, focus ring was not silky smooth, but definetly not dried.
I'm using "Циатим-201" grease for russian lens. Worked perfectly on helios 44m-6, 77m-4, jupiter-37a, jupiter-9.
The other side - i have also two Zuiko 50/1.8 and 50/1.4 with stiff focus ring on both ) Still not sure about re-greasing them ( don't try to fix thing that isn't broken :3)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is clean, no haze, dry blades and an excellent optic.
It is no Takumar as far as its helicoid is concerned, but not terrible.
No signs of servicing either.
Made in 1985
A great lens by the way

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my Zenithar in 1981 (with a Zenith-19 camera). since that time, the lens works perfectly. I have shown in photo slight damage to the lens. this damage is not a trace of preventive maintenance. this injury is the result of my negligence. I dropped my camera on the floor of the bus during one of my trips. the helicoid rotates correctly and without difficulty despite this curvature of the two parts of the lens.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those Zenitars looks great thanks for posting everyone! So they do exist. It's not that I'm looking to buy a new one, I'm more interested in the discussion.
I agree about Pentax. The ones in my possession operate like they were just made, which is incredible.

Here is the copy I kept. It has a strange retaining ring. Not sure if it's modified or something.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:

It has a strange retaining ring. Not sure if it's modified or something.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

It has a VERY strange retaining ring.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lens retainer probably decided it's okay to catch 5D mirror at infinity, but previous owner was having none of that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Majority of USSR/GDR lenses got rough life. An average person could barely afford consumer goods as a SLR back then. So their lifespan was rather long and self-repairs common.

All Zenitar-Ms I've seen outside ebay were in rough shape. My copy got scratches all over the barrel, lube is a bit stiff and aperture spring feels a bit weak. Glass is fine though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aidaho wrote:
Lens retainer probably decided it's okay to catch 5D mirror at infinity, but previous owner was having none of that.

A good theory.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blotafton wrote:
aidaho wrote:

A good theory.

I'd believe it, there is one slot for calipers but nothing on the opposite side.
My guess is they picked the wrong side of the ring or lost track of the correct location after they removed it for modification.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it's done right you are not going to see it's been serviced.