Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is there a way to know if a film is exposed?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: Is there a way to know if a film is exposed? Reply with quote

Other that develop it? Very Happy

I store my stuff like a manic squirrel and now I found a roll of APX 100 which looks and smells new, but the box is opened and it is in a totally wrong place. I could have exposed it and for some crazy reason rolled it back to its case.

Is there some way to tell if it is exposed?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the last inch or so of the film leader on 35mm film will be bent because of its being wrapped onto the take-up spool, especially if it wraps the film under the spool rather than over it.

I've found that, with some cameras, it can be hard to detect -- like the QL Canons, such as the FTb with its Quick Load feature. Because the film isn't tucked into a spool and instead just wraps around it, it doesn't get bent at the tip. Many modern AF cameras have quick load features as well, so if one of them were used, the film may not have that tell-tale bend.

I develop my own film these days, and as a result of this, I leave the leader out whenever possible. But I leave only the last inch or so out, whereas fresh film will have about two inches protruding. This difference in protruded length is enough for me to tell if a roll has been exposed or not.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks unused.

[/img]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, sure looks that way to me too.