Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is a super-fast lens necessary? or Is bokeh overrated?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:21 pm    Post subject: Is a super-fast lens necessary? or Is bokeh overrated? Reply with quote

I think this guy made a point here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp9UvIYyT70

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What else is new? Wink

Seriously, that's not at all new for me. Out of my experience most (non photography educated) persons prefer the background with more details. I quite often received already comments like e.g. "too un-sharp picture", when I presented (for me very nice) background isolated pictures.

Luckily I don't need to make a living out of photography, therefore it's more important for me that I like my pictures which I make primarily for myself. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many points there; thanks Gerald for the link.

I too noticed something when other people see my photos. I've been able to isolate one factor - if the entire subject is not within DOF, they most often say the photo is out of focus. Others use their eyes and brain differently. The out of focus background is disturbing to them. When they look at a scene they expect everywhere they look to be in focus as in real life.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

visualopsins wrote:
When they look at a scene they expect everywhere they look to be in focus as in real life.

Exactly that habit is quite common and reflects also my experience. A "good picture" has to be like this for many people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My "take" on the subject of "bokeh" is not so much how well separated the subject is from the background, but the quality of the out-of-focus background itself. Are the background details simply "soft" but discernible or have they taken on some kind of optical distortion, the "Helios-44 effect" for instance or even the jaggedness seen with some lenses. I like the subject to be distinct, but not by so much as to not be in context.

Last edited by kypfer on Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that the appreciation of bokeh is what separates good photographers from non photographically educated people. Until a few decades ago, most great photographers never viewed bokeh as an "artistic" tool. On the contrary, there was even a very important photographic movement, the Group f/64, which had as an ideal that everything should be in focus in a photograph.

The main motivation for the design of very fast lenses has traditionally been to collect more light so as to allow shooting in poor lighting conditions, or using higher shutter speeds in sports photography.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:

“I don't think that the appreciation of bokeh is what separates good photographers from non photographically educated people.”

Well said, Gerald. Interesting video that emphasizes balance.

IMO bokeh is the side show of photographic composition. Not the subject.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gerald wrote:
I don't think that the appreciation of bokeh is what separates good photographers from non photographically educated people. Until a few decades ago, most great photographers never viewed bokeh as an "artistic" tool. On the contrary, there was even a very important photographic movement, the Group f/64, which had as an ideal that everything should be in focus in a photograph.

The main motivation for the design of very fast lenses has traditionally been to collect more light so as to allow shooting in poor lighting conditions, or using higher shutter speeds in sports photography.

Or just a brighter viewfinder that's easier to focus even when the lens is used at f/8.

Although Bokeh wasn't called that the feel of a lens was still something photographers often discussed & bokeh as we now call it would have been part of that.
IIRC the f/64 group shot landscapes, there were still other forms of photography were selective focusing was applied.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Or just a brighter viewfinder that's easier to focus even when the lens is used at f/8.

That was my main motivation for a fast as possible or affordable lens when I started with SLR photography several decades ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure what is point he is trying to make.
He did a social experiment and found out that in most of the cases most of the people do not care or even dislike bokeh, or at least bokeh WO. So what? The remaining people do not have the right to enjoy bokeh because the majority do not pay attention to it? Also, who on earth is saying that bokeh means shooting WO with a very fast lens? One of my preferred lenses is the Jupiter 11 135mm f4, and I love it because of its bokeh, although it is slow by common standards.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolan wrote:
I am not sure what is point he is trying to make.

I understand he was trying to say that F2 or F2.8 is maybe the sweet spot for aperture of most lenses.

wolan wrote:
One of my preferred lenses is the Jupiter 11 135mm f4, and I love it because of its bokeh, although it is slow by common standards.

Exactly! Would you like the Júpiter 11 more if it were a fast F1.4 lens? Probably not, it would be a monster: very large, heavy, cumbersome and expensive. But the bokeh... well, you are very happy with the bokeh of a F4 lens, aren't you?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bokeh is no fix for poor composition, but we already knew that Wink

Also, it is interesting that e.g. Leica spends a lot of R&D effort on the transition from in-focus to out-of-focus area on their modern lenses, and not on how the bokeh looks.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That´s an interesting video. Most people "out there" dont care about bokeh, as I would have expected. Here is another truth: Most people "out there" dont care about your photos at all. Pictures have become throw-away commodities with a life-span of about 2 seconds. Seen, liked, next. Laugh 1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To me bokeh is there to enhance the subject, not distract from it. The shapes, colors and patterns should meld with the subject to form a cohesive whole. It should be part of the process of composition. If you want everything in focus use a cell phone camera.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a couple of things that were done in the video that could/should be redone.

In most cases, there is actually an identifiable background. This biases the survey because people want to know more about the background as well.

e.g. The cartwheel. At F1.2, the cartwheel is blurred and many people want to see that cartwheel. So in fact, if you're taking a portrait, you wouldn't ordinarily have a distracting background like a cartwheel, you would generally have no distinct background, if the person is the subject. Indistinct backgrounds (with or without large apertures) lend themselves more to portraits, where the attention is focused on the subject, without a distracting background. (which why "bad bokeh" is not liked because it can be distracting)

....OR, you plan to contextualize the portrait with a "barn" background, in which case you would go for smaller apertures, and give a bigger context, in which case it's less of the classical portrait, and more of a portrait within a scene.

So I contend that the video is less about bokeh, and more about composition, because the background is distracting.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The take away from the video, don't shoot at fast apertures just because you can, because sometimes it helps sometimes it detracts.
I was on an f1.2 kick for a while, I still shoot at f1.2, but only wen it helps the scene/subject.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most men don't care about how their wives haircut looks. Are hair cuts overrated?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be necessary if you want one.

I don't rate the bokeh but I do love the bokeh.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In artistic terms, I think,there shouldn’t be black and white, these are tools after all and it helps a lot to have choices, I would like to think that we celebrate these differences rather than restricting ourselves to one or another way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In several years of photography, I think I have yet to take a shot at full aperture.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badr12 wrote:
In artistic terms, I think,there shouldn’t be black and white, these are tools after all and it helps a lot to have choices, I would like to think that we celebrate these differences rather than restricting ourselves to one or another way

I think you should rephrase that, Black & White is after all one of those artistic choices that can work really well. I think a phrase like hard & fast would I think say what you mean without seeming to restrict monochrome images Smile

Last edited by DConvert on Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
Badr12 wrote:

I think you should rephrase that, Black & White is after all one of those artistic choices that can works really well. I think a phrase like hard & fast would I think say what you mean without seeming to restrict monochrome images Smile

True, excuse my English 😀 😀.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take out an SLR from the 1960's and you quickly learn why fast lenses were never made 'for the bokeh'. Wink Laughing
I've seen plenty of anecdotal evidence to suggest that people who are not familiar with photographic principals prefer more in focus, but it's still interesting to see it backed up by a decent survey.

I have to say, I am really over the trend of massive bokeh in every shot: entire people out of focus at weddings, shots taken through bushes just because the large aperture will blur out the ugly, distracting surround (they think it's framing the subject), half a head in focus, no context to the event/environment because they'd rather use a telephoto, bokeh at 6m with a 50/1.2 in broad daylight for a group shot. Rolling Eyes

Yes, it can be used as a creative choice but a good photographer will still consider the impact of the background. Ultimately, does it improve the photo at all? If not then it's probably detracting.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't this video more about blured background than bokeh? Bokeh is more than comparing wide open to stopped down IMHO.
Different lens designs simply draws differently Wink

It would be fun to see the same test done with different classic lens design with say... stopped down to f/3.5.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care what most people think.