Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Is a Kodak Medalist or Medalist II worth having?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
But, clipping and sanding down the spool ends works.
Just be sure to brush and/or blow off any loose bits before loading into the camera to keep the film chamber clean.

Personally, I wouldn't use this technique. Embarassed

After grinding down the spool ends, you will undoubtedly end up with dust between the spool and the film, or under the backing paper. In this case, the dust will not only be plastic dust, but also fine abrasives from the sandpaper or grinding disc.

Dust travels, and will end up in all sorts of unintended places. It could scratch film, it could gunk up shutters, get into the lens, etc, etc, etc. It could even contaminate developing chemicals. With all of the effort and expense people go through to keep camera equipment clean, why introduce dust when there is an alternative?

Considering the cost of the single-side conversion of the camera, verses the risks of the dust and the costs of the eventual CLA, it seems like a false economy to use 120 film in this way. For low-volume shooting, re-spooling seems a better option (safer and with only a little more time required), and for medium to high volume shooting, the single-side spool conversion would more than pay for itself in time/convenience.

Just my opinion of course. Wink

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scheimpflug wrote:

After grinding down the spool ends, you will undoubtedly end up with dust between the spool and the film, or under the backing paper.

If this is a concern the roll can be taped up first and then the tape removed
before loading. But, I don't really see it as much of a danger. The rolls are
tightly wound and I've never seen any evidence of dust contamination from
doing this (if the rolls are brushed off before loading as I advised).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
Scheimpflug wrote:

After grinding down the spool ends, you will undoubtedly end up with dust between the spool and the film, or under the backing paper.

If this is a concern the roll can be taped up first and then the tape removed
before loading. But, I don't really see it as much of a danger. The rolls are
tightly wound and I've never seen any evidence of dust contamination from
doing this (if the rolls are brushed off before loading as I advised).

I will use this for a while but eventually I'll do the one or two sided conversion. This should tide me over till I get the money saved for the conversion.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We go through trouble and expense to keep things clean ?
This we is certainly not me.

All this filthy old gear, plus the repair and conversion work going on around here means I have chronic dust- metal filings, wood and plastic sawdust, just plain grime. And I basically do and keep everything in my garden shed. It doesn't seem to affect results from 35mm and 120 film.

I doubt much if any of that dust from the 120 film filing operation will get into either the film or the camera. And there are damp rags plus dust-off as well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
We go through trouble and expense to keep things clean ?
This we is certainly not me.

All this filthy old gear, plus the repair and conversion work going on around here means I have chronic dust- metal filings, wood and plastic sawdust, just plain grime. And I basically do and keep everything in my garden shed. It doesn't seem to affect results from 35mm and 120 film.

I doubt much if any of that dust from the 120 film filing operation will get into either the film or the camera. And there are damp rags plus dust-off as well.

You are sounding more like me everytime I see you make a post like this. I am far from tidy...just ask the wife....No..no you better not do that. LOL

Any way a light blowing and a swiffer dust cloth and it will clean up alright I believe.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really, if dust is a concern you can wrap a strip of masking tape (like
painters use) along each edge of the film plus stuff a bit of tissue (or similar)
into each spool end slot before sanding.

Then, after sanding, remove and brush off. It's not a big deal.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
It's not a big deal.

I agree. I'll have to do some trial and error testing but not a big deal.

I ordered 3 metal spools as this camera had none at all. I also cleared it with http://www.120processing.com/ . They will return the spools. Patience...Patience...I will shoot with it soon. Patience I keep saying!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ That's good that they return the spools. They're selling for ... what? Five
bucks apiece or something like that?

Reusing an altered roll for take-up probably wouldn't work because of the
different shape of the end slots. That's why I use a real 620 spool for that.
But, I'm sure you know that.

I usually shoot B&W and process myself so no problem there. The roll in
my photos was done for a friend who wanted color.

Kodak made an adapter for the Medalist allowing the use of 828 film in it but
that's an almost comical waste of the cameras capability.

Now, a 127 film adapter might be something to consider ...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
^ That's good that they return the spools. They're selling for ... what? Five
bucks apiece or something like that?

Reusing an altered roll for take-up probably wouldn't work because of the
different shape of the end slots. That's why I use a real 620 spool for that.
But, I'm sure you know that.

I usually shoot B&W and process myself so no problem there. The roll in
my photos was done for a friend who wanted color.

Kodak made an adapter for the Medalist allowing the use of 828 film in it but
that's an almost comical waste of the cameras capability.

Now, a 127 film adapter might be something to consider ...

That's all for the future. Right now I just need a spool (three on the way) and some film to shoot. May try some Portra or Fuji Color Reala and see what comes about. Will buy some Fomo later but right now I have Tri-x to shoot so that will be the trial load to see if everything functions or if I need to send it for CLA'ing.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re getting 620 spools - finding old Kodak box/folder point and shoots sometimes gets you the spool cheaper than buying one outright. And now that I'm looking at it, the pre-spooled film B&H etc sell may not be a totally bad deal, for the reusable spool. Although, I've read that some of the respooled film is using some modern version of the 620 spool...

I plan to do respooling tonight, myself, provided I can still find my stash of spools Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Re getting 620 spools - finding old Kodak box/folder point and shoots sometimes gets you the spool cheaper than buying one outright. And now that I'm looking at it, the pre-spooled film B&H etc sell may not be a totally bad deal, for the reusable spool. Although, I've read that some of the respooled film is using some modern version of the 620 spool...

I plan to do respooling tonight, myself, provided I can still find my stash of spools Rolling Eyes

If you can't find them let me know. I'll send you one of mine when I get them!!! LOL

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm just surprised someone hasn't made a re-spooler.

Can you find a camera that can use both 620 and 120 spools? Just put the 620 size in the take-up side? I remember reading the "Foldex" can do this. I don't know that much about it. Sorry if someone mentioned it already too. Just thought I would pass on. Maybe it won't work...

Edit: I guess people have a lot of problems with this method. But it works for some.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ There are a few cameras that can handle both types. I've never tried
this. I am skeptical that it would work very well. It sounds reasonable but
first of all you'd have to run the film one way and then switch the rolls and
run it back again. The problem is the film is only taped to the backing paper
at one end and not the other. When you try to run the film back on the
return trip you can only attach the backing paper to the take-up spool so
when you wind it back and the film arrives at the take-up spool it's not
attached to the backing paper at that end and will likely separate from the
paper rather than go onto the spool.

But, again, I've never tried it.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
Quote:
I'm just surprised someone hasn't made a re-spooler.

Can you find a camera that can use both 620 and 120 spools? Just put the 620 size in the take-up side? I remember reading the "Foldex" can do this. I don't know that much about it. Sorry if someone mentioned it already too. Just thought I would pass on. Maybe it won't work...

Edit: I guess people have a lot of problems with this method. But it works for some.

I've seen a 120 roll being used on a plastic Brownie Hawkeye. I think I'll just do the clipping and sanding.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dof wrote:
^ There are a few cameras that can handle both types. I've never tried
this. I am skeptical that it would work very well. It sounds reasonable but
first of all you'd have to run the film one way and then switch the rolls and
run it back again. The problem is the film is only taped to the backing paper
at one end and not the other. When you try to run the film back on the
return trip you can only attach the backing paper to the take-up spool so
when you wind it back and the film arrives at the take-up spool it's not
attached to the backing paper at that end and will likely separate from the
paper rather than go onto the spool.

But, again, I've never tried it.

I've noticed several remove and re-attach the tape to avoid getting a bump in the spooled film. Not possible when in another camera for re-spooling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

has anyone seen the attachment backs that go on the Medalist II? Here is a link, and towards the bottom of the page is an advertisement. It mentions that "different film negatives" can be used, etc. I am wondering if there is a 120 film back....?

http://blog.baquephoto.com/?p=92

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, unfortunately there is no 120 film back...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are these guys still around?

http://www.baldmtn.com/Convert.htm Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nesster wrote:
Sorry, unfortunately there is no 120 film back...

The *note* says there are film holders available, though it doesn't specify. But I wonder, if not 120, what other roll film holder would it be? *edit* I see that it says "plates, sheet film, etc".

Last edited by aspen on Sun Jan 22, 2012 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

also, with the accessory back, I wonder if something can be fashioned from a Graflok back, or even a Polaroid roll film camera?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aspen wrote:
also, with the accessory back, I wonder if something can be fashioned from a Graflok back, or even a Polaroid roll film camera?

Possibly but I plan on sending mine to Bald Mountain for the retro fit to 120. I have a Bush Pressman for sheet film.