Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

install a tripod mount on most anything with a hanger bolt
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: install a tripod mount on most anything with a hanger bolt Reply with quote

I've been wanting to make a comfortable pistol grip handle for my heavier/awkward stuff, but couldn't think of an easy, solid way to get a 1/4-20 screw installed.

The other day at the hardware store I found a marvellous little gizmo called a hanger bolt, it was in the fastener aisle, furniture section.

To install,

1) drill pilot hole
2) thread 2 nuts on the bolt part, and tighten them against each other. once they're tight enough,
3) use the topmost nut to screw the hanger bolt into the pilot hole.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cr0LkRh3m1I

Here's my handle, it's supposed to be a replacement shovel handle but I took off the D-bracket. Those spaces you see provide good grip and keep it from getting sweaty, I find it very practical.

I have a handful of quick attach Manfrotto plates/bases, but of course you could also thread it right onto your gear.

This might be common knowledge but it was news to me, I thought I'd share.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea. I like the handle, please more info what it is/was and a link perhaps to a photo on the net.

I use these screws in stickmaking, I make a hiking stick/monopod. The handle is attached with one of these screws. Perhaps i'll put some photos in DIY.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, I like that idea! Although I don't know how practical it would be to hand hold a set of bellows! Wink Cool But I can see where you could cobble up all sorts of devices and fittings to mount cameras to, using a common old hanger bolt. Good for things like time lapse photography or have the camera set to trip a photo when something enters the frame (some cameras support this feature), etc.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice bit of problem solving. Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Heh, I like that idea! Although I don't know how practical it would be to hand hold a set of bellows! Wink Cool

It's do-able... on a sunny day at least Laughing

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Necessity being the mother of invention, as Zappa had it.