Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Inkjet v Photographic prints
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Inkjet v Photographic prints Reply with quote

I found out this afternoon that the pics I'm submitting for this competition have to be in paper form. So I'd like to ask the experts for advice.

I have three options:

1 Take the negs into the local minilab and ask them to do photoprints. (This would lose my own editing).

2 Save the jpgs on a memory card and ask the lab to make prints from them.

3 Print them myself using an HP inkjet.

Up till now I've always printed myself, but I was wondering if this will be good enough for the judges. The ink will run if the print gets wet, and am I right the ink fades over time?

What do you think?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Option 2 & 3 seems the way to go, seeing as it's for a competition.

Regarding option 2, I'd probably stick to a pro lab for the prints if you want them to stick to your brief at the time.

Option 3 is really down to your own judgement. I'm guessing you have a fairly decent HP, and assuming you are using HP ink and good quality photo inkjet paper, I'd be surprised if you'll have an issue.

If they are likely to get wet, then I'd question whether you even want to enter. Any decent photo comp should take very good care of the prints, regardless of whether they're inkjet, dye sub, or gelatin.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Graham. This is just a small comp at the local camera club. If it was more important I'd take you suggestion and get a pro lab to do them, but this time I think I'll print myself and see how it goes. Many thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Peter!
I also would opt for either 2 or 3.
If you have a very good lab, have them print them.
If you have an exact calibration, print them on your own.
Depend also on the size you the shots in.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
Hi, Peter!
I also would opt for either 2 or 3.
If you have a very good lab, have them print them.
If you have an exact calibration, print them on your own.
Depend also on the size you the shots in.

Thanks Carsten, That's a good point about the size - they haven't told me yet, apparently they're sending me an entry form.

About printer/monitor calibration, I haven't found any software or instructions on how to match my screen with the printer. My printed pics appear a little darker and less saturated than on the screen, so I know I have to increase these by about 10% before I send to the printer. It seems to work OK.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I read your question I immediately thought of this:
http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/printers.htm