Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Initial shots with Nikon Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/3.5
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Initial shots with Nikon Micro-NIKKOR 55mm f/3.5 Reply with quote

Picked up an early 55mm f3.5 Micro-Nikkor on eBay recently - I was the only bidder Smile. Based on the serial number I think it's from the late 60s or very early 70s. A couple of initial shots with it on my Canon EOS 5DSR. ISO400 and f11. Cropped from the original, to about half the original size. Fly on an Oxeye daisy in the garden. It feels like a beautiful lens.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outstanding!

Congrats on your purchase of your 55/3.5 Micro Nikkor. IMO, this is one of the best ever macro lenses ever made. I have an even older copy that I've owned for over 25 years. Mine dates to 1965.

I haven't yet attempted any really close macro work with mine besides duping slides -- which it does very, very well. I should do something about that. Insects make marvelous subjects and sometimes they stay still long enough to get a good shot of them. I've taken lots of flower photos with mine, but they tend not to be anywhere close to maximum magnification because I'm after an image of the entire flower . . . although I can think of one exception.

Taken with a 10.1mp Canon XS DSLR at ISO 100:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A very nice lens indeed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Actually I just rechecked the serial number. It looks like it is from the 1963-1966 era. Even better Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A superb lens, one of my favourites.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Like 1 Like 1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sharpness of this lens is awesome !

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice shots with this gem of a lens guys! I like it so much, I own 3, different versions of it, along wit the Viv-komine 55mm f/ 2.8. Someday I'll give in and sell a couple of them. jt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 Like 1 a well known gem that is!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
Nice shots with this gem of a lens guys! I like it so much, I own 3, different versions of it, along wit the Viv-komine 55mm f/ 2.8. Someday I'll give in and sell a couple of them. jt

Heh, I do too! I own the old 1965 version, then two of the more recent pre-AI with the rubberized focusing collar. One is pretty heavily worn, the other is pristine and has a Nikon AI conversion kit. Plus I also own a 55/2.8 AIs. And you know what? As remarkably good as the 55/3.5s are, that AIs version is noticeably sharper.

I haven't sold any of mine (yet) because they just don't bring much on the used market. It's hardly worth my time and trouble to sell them. But I have no idea what I'm gonna do with three of them. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I'm gonna keep the old one just because I've owned it for so many years, it's part of the family. And the pristine one I hesitate to sell because I probably won't get what it's worth for it. The worn one, though, is the one that's probably not worth the bother.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait for Nikon and Canon FF mirrorless camera, and you will see, used market will increase again Smile

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of pictures of the lens itself.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are you aware that your lens has been "AI'd" by someone other than Nikon? I can see where the notch was machined, and they also removed the meter coupling "shoe," so you're lens will not couple with the meter on the older Nikons. But I think the shoes are pretty easy to come by, so no worries there. Only possible concern though might be the way the aperture ring was machined. I've seen some where the machining actually removed part of the shoe. And yours looks like one of them, which is no doubt why the shoe was removed.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
So, are you aware that your lens has been "AI'd" by someone other than Nikon? I can see where the notch was machined, and they also removed the meter coupling "shoe," so you're lens will not couple with the meter on the older Nikons. But I think the shoes are pretty easy to come by, so no worries there. Only possible concern though might be the way the aperture ring was machined. I've seen some where the machining actually removed part of the shoe. And yours looks like one of them, which is no doubt why the shoe was removed.

Ooooh, I was not aware. In fact I'd not heard of that being done before, so will go and have a read about it now. Would other photos be helpful to better see what has been done? I'm a Canon user, not a Nikon one, so I'm using this on my Canon SLR via an adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JMC wrote:
cooltouch wrote:

Ooooh, I was not aware. In fact I'd not heard of that being done before, so will go and have a read about it now. Would other photos be helpful to better see what has been done? I'm a Canon user, not a Nikon one, so I'm using this on my Canon SLR via an adapter.

Jonathan, this modification will have no impact on your work IMHO if used with an adapter,
only on the possible resale price, if you'll ever decide you'll dispose it, which I actually doubt. Wink

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
Focusthrow wrote:

Heh, I do too! I own the old 1965 version, then two of the more recent pre-AI with the rubberized focusing collar. One is pretty heavily worn, the other is pristine and has a Nikon AI conversion kit. Plus I also own a 55/2.8 AIs. And you know what? As remarkably good as the 55/3.5s are, that AIs version is noticeably sharper.

I haven't sold any of mine (yet) because they just don't bring much on the used market. It's hardly worth my time and trouble to sell them. But I have no idea what I'm gonna do with three of them. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I'm gonna keep the old one just because I've owned it for so many years, it's part of the family. And the pristine one I hesitate to sell because I probably won't get what it's worth for it. The worn one, though, is the one that's probably not worth the bother.

My situation is not unlike yours Michael--some people acquire cats; we acquire lenses. Agreed--selling (at this price range) is not usually worth the effort & the longer you keep one hanging around the less likely it is to see the USPS or UPS guy again. LOL Seriously though, I wonder what yearly shipping costs tally to, just for lens sales on Ebay! Best jt

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kds315* wrote:
Jonathan, this modification will have no impact on your work IMHO if used with an adapter,
only on the possible resale price, if you'll ever decide you'll dispose it, which I actually doubt. Wink

Thanks Klaus. It looks to be working fine for my needs and no I hadn't planned on selling it Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Focusthrow wrote:
Seriously though, I wonder what yearly shipping costs tally to, just for lens sales on Ebay! Best jt

An interesting question. Here in the US, with an item like a lens weighing, let's say, less than a pound, and shipped from a domestic address via USPS Priority Mail, you're probably averaging around $10 per. So, easy enough to estimate. Of course, if you shop oversees, which I often do, then that estimate goes out the window.