Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infrared
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:17 pm    Post subject: Infrared Reply with quote

I've been experimenting with infrared for a while now using a Sony DSC-F717 in 'nightshot' mode with a Hoya R72 filter. I took these shots today in my garden and would appreciate your views - good or bad!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Edgar,
I am not that familiar with infrared photography,I can only ask what is it you are trying to show with these images?...to me they come across as neutral I don't like or dislike them..I mean they don't move me either way.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Hi Edgar,
I am not that familiar with infrared photography,I can only ask what is it you are trying to show with these images?...to me they come across as neutral I don't like or dislike them..I mean they don't move me either way.

Hi Mo
At least they moved you enough to make a comment! Wink Smile
To be honest, I don't know what I was trying to achieve apart from seeing how objects appear in infrared. I particularly like the effect on foliage which reflects a lot of infrared radiation.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These look ok, but try some churchyard shots to see the best from IR photography.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy I know what it's like to wait for comments... Wink

When I look at them I do like the foliage... but it needs something more to separate it from the background,different tones? I don't know what I am trying to say (having not tried infrared and having no idea about its techniques), but what I can say.... at least you are getting out there and trying something different...than the safe old way of "normal" photography! Cool Post up some more when you have the chance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
Very Happy I know what it's like to wait for comments... Wink

When I look at them I do like the foliage... but it needs something more to separate it from the background,different tones? I don't know what I am trying to say (having not tried infrared and having no idea about its techniques), but what I can say.... at least you are getting out there and trying something different...than the safe old way of "normal" photography! Cool Post up some more when you have the chance.

I gave up long ago.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more that I took last year when first experimenting with infrared.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these new ones Edgar,I can see why you are getting into this form of photography.

#1 I love the the way my eyes are drawn from left to right with the slight curve in the trees....and the clouds are something special.

#2 The textures in the trees and plants are amazing

#3 I can see the potential of different subjects...with the darker shed and shadows,background.

Do you have to PP these like normal images? I would assume taking IR photos at different times of the day would have different results?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mo wrote:
I love these new ones Edgar,I can see why you are getting into this form of photography.

#1 I love the the way my eyes are drawn from left to right with the slight curve in the trees....and the clouds are something special.

#2 The textures in the trees and plants are amazing

#3 I can see the potential of different subjects...with the darker shed and shadows,background.

Do you have to PP these like normal images? I would assume taking IR photos at different times of the day would have different results?

There's not much PP involved; desaturate the image, adjust levels, slight contrast increase in curves and sharpen.
The most dramatic results are achieved on bright sunny days with blue skies and white fluffy clouds (there has been precious few of those this summer!). And with infrared photography you don't have to wait for the 'golden hour' at each end of the day.
Thanks for your comments Mo, really appreciated! Very Happy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like IR photography would be perfect for Australia...we have too much bright light at midday during summer Cool

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, IR needs the sun and plants!