Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infrared landscapes
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Infrared landscapes Reply with quote

Sony DSC-F717 + Hoya R72

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how to critique infared images as I have never attempted any myself.Firstly I do like the way they look and can imagine there is a learning curve involved.

The first image, the brighter white behind the building catches my eye...not sure if I like it,was it what you were aiming for? I do like the building.

The second image, I think possibly showing more sky than the white band/foreground across the bottom of the image.

In some of the other images I have seen using this technique there seems to be more changes/subtle differences within the whites...if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 small Like 1 small Like 1 small

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments, Mo.
I know what you mean about the white foliage, I'm having difficulty retaining detail in some of the highlight areas during post processing even though they were not blown out at the capture stage.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not imagine that process being very easy with this technique.As long as you are happy with the results that is what counts.I just did not want your posts to be hanging here without comments Very Happy...after the hard work you must have put into these. How many images went into #2 ?

I looked at these again when I had signed out.I found they "look" too my eyes anyway, slightly different when viewed with the MFlenses gray background...when I am signed in I use the MFblack.The detail in the grass at the front of the building stood out more.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mo. I would like to tell you that shot #2 is a stitched panorama which I spent hours producing, but in fact, it is cropped from one image. Wink

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DigiChromeEd wrote:
Thanks for your comments, Mo.
I know what you mean about the white foliage, I'm having difficulty retaining detail in some of the highlight areas during post processing even though they were not blown out at the capture stage.

It's quite common in IR to find the red channel blown out while the standard histogram suggests nothing is being clipped. If a separate RGB histogram is available it's best to use that.

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2016 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DConvert wrote:
It's quite common in IR to find the red channel blown out while the standard histogram suggests nothing is being clipped. If a separate RGB histogram is available it's best to use that.

Thank you, I didn't know this. I'll bear it in mind next time.

Smile