Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infinity problem-resolved .
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 4:52 pm    Post subject: Infinity problem-resolved . Reply with quote

Vemar Tele-Auto 135mm f3.5 in M42:

This lens looks like its in great shape- Does not look like its ever been opened,no obvious marks of repair. The focus ring is smooth and the aperture works perfectly.No loose moving parts inside. I was surprised to find that it does not focus to infinity. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/experience why?
What happens here is when I focus to 15 ft. focus is good then its a blurr,as I go towards infinity.This same thing happens at different distances above 15ft.
I am hoping that I will have enough ideas -before I open this for repars.

Thanks

Last edited by Kathmandu on Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:26 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you positive that this is M42 and not T-Mount?

Hold on, scratch that, if it were T mount it would focus to infinity, but not close up. Sorry - my confusion. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't it focus to inf. on an EOS or on an M42-cam?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a M42 to Sony adapter and using it with a Sony DSLR. The mount may not be the problem- its inconsistent as far as how far I can focus-sometimes 15 ft sometimes 40ft- but then it blurrs out and never reaches infinity. Thank you both for your inputs. Its a wierd problem I have never seen before.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should test it on am M42-cam, then.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kathmandu wrote:
I'm using a M42 to Sony adapter and using it with a Sony DSLR. The mount may not be the problem- its inconsistent as far as how far I can focus-sometimes 15 ft sometimes 40ft- but then it blurrs out and never reaches infinity. Thank you both for your inputs. Its a wierd problem I have never seen before.

Sounds like there must be something loose inside. Inconsistent behaviour on the same body and adapter can't be anything else?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LucisPictor wrote:
You should test it on am M42-cam, then.

I did test it on a Yashica TL Electro X-and the symptoms are the same. I did notice something peculiar in that when I hold the camera and lens (both the M42 camera and Sony), and gradually bring it up to shooting height(i.e. horizontal position)-I get infinity. If I hold the camera and lens pointing to the sky and bring it down gradually to shooting straight (i.e. horizontal position), I loose infinity.

If I hold the lens pointing upwards in anyway the weight of the elements, or something inside must be shifting making it looses infinity-Looks as though I may have to open it up.

Regards Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This lens looks like its in great shape- Does not look like its ever been opened,no obvious marks of repair. The focus ring is smooth and the aperture works perfectly.No loose moving parts inside. I was surprised to find that it does not focus to infinity. Anybody have any ideas/suggestions/experience why?
What happens here is when I focus to 15 ft. focus is good then its a blurr,as I go towards infinity.This same thing happens at different distances above 15ft.
I am hoping that I will have enough ideas -before I open this for repars.

That was my post a few days ago- and I grudgingly took the lens apart-to see what was causing the intermittent infinity focus problems. This lens was difficult putting back together-I spent about about 6 hrs in a span of 6 days just trying to figure out how it assembled back together(a lot of time just staring at it)-not having taken the extra time to document and take pictures of the disassembling.
Today I had a breakthrough and the helical screwed together perfectly. The culprit to my intermittent infinity problem was the second element in the front cell;the ring holding it in had unscrewed a tad allowing that particular element to move ever so slightly every time I pointed the camera up or down. It works great now- Smile

Pictures taken after final assembly :

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats witrh your result and with your patience to get the lens properly mounted again!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Minolfan-its like finishing a puzzle sometimes-Its definitely a test/exercise in patience and perseverance although that may not have been the objective initially .I have 2 Vemars now with the serial number beginning with "H"-and I love their image quality, and clarity even wide open.Lens hoods complement them well.
The images above except for the last one(shot at f 5.6) are all wide open @f3.5. The min. focus distance is 6ft. I think this would make a super potrait lens.
Jims camera in Seattle(he is on the web) has the same lens maybe in better shape for $39,if anyone wants to grab one-I did not see another similar one anywhere on the wild web.