Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Infinity Focus Question
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 3:39 am    Post subject: Infinity Focus Question Reply with quote

I am using the Minolta MC PF lens on my NEX 6 body. I don't think I can do the infinity focus on this correctly. For some reason when I set the lens to infinity it becomes a little blurry which means you can see everything but not as much as sharp when things are in focus. Shouldn't it be like everything is sharp and in focus? I think I am not seeing that result when I am setting it to infinity. Is it a problem? Can anybody share a pic with their lens set to infinity preferably on a Minolta lens. I wanna see how the result looks like. Or it's problem of my adapter? Help please

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mzzyhmd, from my understanding I think your problem is actually normal because for an object to be "perfectly" focused when you set your lens to infinity, the distance between your lens and the object must be infinite. But nothing is in reality infinity and so you need to adjust the focus ring to get the object that you want in focus. It's just that it's harder for our naked eye to tell the difference between the lens setting to infinity and the lens setting to the perfect distance on a building that's say a mile or two away since the adjustment is miniscule. The difference is probably more visible with a 55mm (82.5mm) than say a 16mm (24mmm) set to F8 or above.

But the good thing is the NEX-6 has magnified view for focus confirmation which makes things a lot easier.

Another thing you can try is to stop down the lens a little till like at least 5.6 or 8 and see.

Cheers Smile

Last edited by bruzzo on Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most adapters for NEX, at least the 'cheap Chinese' that I am using, allow for the lens to focus 'past' infinity, that is I must focus my lens to 'less than infinity' to get the focus 'at infinity'. It is rare but I have read of some cases where a certain lens / adapter combination would not allow for infinity, could be the lens, could be the adapter.
Most probably your lens focuses past infinity, use magnified live view and check it out

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuuan wrote:
Most adapters for NEX, at least the 'cheap Chinese' that I am using, allow for the lens to focus 'past' infinity, that is I must focus my lens to 'less than infinity' to get the focus 'at infinity'. It is rare but I have read of some cases where a certain lens / adapter combination would not allow for infinity, could be the lens, could be the adapter.
Most probably your lens focuses past infinity, use magnified live view and check it out

This is my experience as well. Just turning the lens to it's infinity stop will take most lenses, on most adapters, past infinity. Use the the magnified live view and it becomes a whole lot easier.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a problem this weekend with my Minolta 28mm f2.8 mounted on my NEX used for the first time. Just turned to the infinity mark. Oops.