Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar-50-2
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 am    Post subject: Industar-50-2 Reply with quote

Attila made me a beautiful gift, a really most beautiful looking copy of Industar-50-2, a lens that I only had a defektive copy of.
Attila's copy is a different story, it is amazingly sharp even wide open, as these images will prove, because the weather was so crappy that I could only shoot wide open or stop down one stop maximum.
I think you will immediately see the power of this lens even in the small resizes, just compare with the Nikkor-UD and you will see this is a lens of really another class, powerful and bold even with crappy weather!
At the end I added a few B&W conversions, to show the power of this lens, which for me, is a fantastic B&W lens, where it can really give it's best.
So thanks Attila!
This is the sample gallery:

www.orio.ws/temp/industar-50-2/index.html

-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that pictures 6 and 7 have false colours, because I forgot to convert them to SRGB prior to jpg conversion, so they look pale - they are not really.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio, if you accepted this lens from Attila as a gift, in Hungary it means
you're going steady...don't know if this was explained to you. Laughing Laughing

Wow, I need to drag my lens out and shoot it some more! I like 4, 8, and
9 of this set, some great shots! Smile

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bill

I have no idea of what "going steady" means, I hope it's not something bad Sad

I find the little Industar so perfect for Black and White. Perhaps it's beacuse it is so contrasted. Then there is the Tessar factor to it. I want to load a B&W film in the Bessie and go out with her and the Industar alone and see what roll comes out.
-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice set! I am glad you like it, Bill this lens mostly going around 10 USD or less I hope it will be next "Trioplan" many member try to get one. This is a shame why people not respect this excellent little one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila, I have this lens in a thread here somewhere with how it looks on
my Oly e300, makes it look like a point and shoot! I think I paid less
than $25 shipping included, not sure, cheap, anyway. Smile EDIT: I paid
$15, with shipping! Came in a nice plastic watertight canister, in case I wanted to take it sea kayaking...

Orio certainly got some nice contrasty BW pics...

Bill

Last edited by Katastrofo on Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a natural for B&W, heck it was born for B&W, all Tessars are, no one would make colour photography in the age Tessar was made.

People love Tessar rightly because of the good contrast it gives to B&W photography.
Does not matter if it's not fast, B&W requires less speed than colour photography.
With a 400 ASA B&W film you can photograph with the f/3.5 Industar anytime, does not matter exposure with a good 400 ASA film (avoid cheap) you can expose for 1600 ISO and obtain acceptable results even without pushing the film.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hummm, thanks Orio, will try it for BW pics very soon.

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katastrofo wrote:
I like 4, 8, and
9 of this set, some great shots! Smile
Bill

Yes, speaking of the B&W ones, for the mood I prefer 8 and 10, but 9 is the epitome of what good B&W print should be: some full black + some full white + a large range of greys inbetween.

I think I will try a print out of this one.

-

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, really like 9, worth hanging on a wall!

Bill

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 9th image has a particular balance that is beautifully rendered. The planes and corners and angles all are contributing to the balance of the composition. I personally love the muted colors, and the tonalities in black and white are intricately personified by this lens.

I am not too experienced yet, but I thought these lenses were so cheap that there must be something wrong with them. I wonder why they are so cheaply available?

Of course, I'm going to purchase one right away. Wink

This forum is SUCH a good source, especially when I also am priveleged to view such good artistry with compositions. Amazing and beautiful, truly.

Edit: I was just now researching the lens online. Why would a seller make out-of-focus images of a lens? Is this a common practice, or just a mistake? Can the seller not see that it is out of focus? Shocked

Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laurence wrote:

I am not too experienced yet, but I thought these lenses were so cheap that there must be something wrong with them. I wonder why they are so cheaply available?

Because people don't know them. Because people who may know them don't know of the adapters (which is what happened to me: I had manual lenses for a long time but I didn't know I could use them on the digital reflex until not too long ago). Because many people are victims of the stupid techno trend that makes them think that the latest technology is the only good technology worth having. Because many, too many people have zero aesthetical sense. Because many people don't even know what is the good or the bad to be found in a lense: why else they would hurry buying zooms, and especially wide angle zooms (the most horrible of all zooms) when the simple fact is that no one, not even Zeiss, has been able to build zooms that are perfect from one end to the other? I perfectly understand professionals that buy zooms, it's their job to perform fast and safe which is more important than quality for most clients. I would do the same. In fact, my work also involves some photographing, and for this reason I am keeping some AF lenses. But amateurs? Why the helga an amateur with no time pressure on his shoulders should buy zoom lenses, if not because they just don't know?? They can't tell the horribly distorted 28mm image taken with a 28-85 zoom, from a perfect image taken with a good 28mm prime, that's the sad fact. For them, it's enough that a picture is sharp. If it has coma in the corners, or if the buildings look like Glen Grant barrels, or if the corners have a 2 stop falloff, they just don't notice. They can't tell. They think zooms are the best lenses. Just approach any everyday person with your stuff. He/she will say "ah, this is a zoom. Ooh!" And so when they go to a shop, they ask for "a zoom". Not because it's more handy, because they think zooms are the best type of lens. This is the ignorance that is widespread.

Quote:
Of course, I'm going to purchase one right away. Wink

wise move!

Quote:
This forum is SUCH a good source, especially when I also am priveleged to view such good artistry with compositions. Amazing and beautiful, truly.

Thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Edit: I was just now researching the lens online. Why would a seller make out-of-focus images of a lens? Is this a common practice, or just a mistake? Can the seller not see that it is out of focus? Shocked

Most people just don't care, they want to put the item online fast and without losing too much time.
Some may do this for cheating, but from my experience, the large majority of sellers just don't care.
Which makes me angry and I usually don't buy, because if they don't care about presenting the item to me the buyer, I don't think they would care about making a good packaging, or helping with post office if the package gets lost, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio

Your pictures are a perfect advertisement for the lens - we should need no other encouragement to go get it. Fortunately, I am like you, with a homage to pay to Attila for providing one to me. As for black and white - although I agree with you I found the colour saturation under sunny conditions was just perfect.

Smile Smile

I suspect this little masterpiece will basically do whatever you ask of it.

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
I found the colour saturation under sunny conditions was just perfect. Smile Smile

I suspect this little masterpiece will basically do whatever you ask of it.

patrickh

Patrick, I took this picture in 1967 using Kodachrome II film with a little Zenit 3M and the older chrome M39 version of the Industar 3.5/50. I'm not happy with the result from my cheap scanner and I'll be making a new scan when I have the new one, but I think this perfectly backs up what you say about the colour saturation, and also shows that the contrast works as well in colour as in B&W. The lens has the other typical Tessar characteristic of being a little soft wide open but pin sharp at smaller apertures, and very smooth out of focus.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter

I love the laundry - you can see how clean the clothes are! Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

patrickh wrote:
Peter

I love the laundry - you can see how clean the clothes are! Smile Smile

patrickh

Hahaha, and at the tip of Portland Bill they blow dry in under 2 minutes! Smile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this lens is a little gem. I really like my copy and I also have found it for very little money.

The only thing is that it sometimes is a little too small for me. Wink

Very nice shots, Orio.
BTW, in your list of reasons you forgot that many people think that lenses which do not cost a fortune cannot be good!