Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Industar-50-2 filter thread size?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:37 am    Post subject: Industar-50-2 filter thread size? Reply with quote

I picked up a black Industar-50-2. Sr# starts with 73. From what I've read online, I thought the filter thread was 35.5mm. However both a lens cap and filter I bought in that size are too big. It seems that the outer wall of the aperture ring only measures 36mm. I found a post from 7 years ago on another forum that said a 33mm filter worked for his lens. Before I dive into a filter or step up ring for that size, can anyone confirm it would work? Thanks.

Also does that mean a filter like this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350493250441?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_1116wt_1094

won't actually fit even though it's marketed for that lens, or is the filter not actually 35.5? What am I messing up here?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I believe the size of the filter thread was changed in the mid-late 70s from 33mm to 35.5mm. One from '73 should be 33mm.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I also just saw that you asked the same question a couple years ago. Mine has the same symbol with the arrow as yours from 71, so I'm sold.

Thanks again for your help.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there 2 versions of the Industar 50-2 (with different filter threads) or are you guys talking about the Industar 50 (M39)?

My Indsutar 50-2 (M42) has the 35.5 thread.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All Industar 50s have 33mm threads. When the 50-2 was introduced it too had 33mm threads but this was later changed to 35.5mm. If yours was made after '75-6ish, yes, it has 35.5mm.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themoleman342 wrote:
All Industar 50s have 33mm threads. When the 50-2 was introduced it too had 33mm threads but this was later changed to 35.5mm. If yours was made after '75-6ish, yes, it has 35.5mm.

Thanks.

JJ

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the original hood and cap for this lens and what I can say is that the hood is made of plastic and you just push it around the aperture barrel not screw in as usual) and the cap simply falls, it is not tight enough. Not exactly fine pieces of craftsmanship, accessories wise, these Industar 50-2 =P

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chop the bottom off 'GU Pot' desert containers to make hoods for the Industar. They are very flexible black plastic flared pot, cut them off so they are a tight fit on the lens. I take the gloss off the plastic on the inside of the 'hood' with a Scotchbrite pan scourer.
I like the chocolate desert, so I have steady supply of pots, I don't care if I lose them ! Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: 2019 update Reply with quote

February 2019 update. There are many digital cameras with 37mm filter threads, eBay has all sorts of filters, lenshoods, etc for sale relatively cheaply. 35.5 to 37mm step up rings go for $2-$3 from China. The same with 35.5mm to 49mm rings, but they are closer to $5.
From the EU, they are around $30 each.
There are still many of these lenses around, you can pick one up at auction for $20 including postage. For $30 there was one for sale with a factory lens hood. Caveat emptor, the only hood sold by itself was also $30.
If you have a Nikon camera, the farthest they will focus is about 4 meters. For $28 plus postage, you can buy one modified mechanically for infinity focus.
If your Nikon camera has an AI coupling ring, it will meter properly with the lens. and confirm focus. Obviously it will be at the F stop set on the lens when you meter, no automatic diaphragm.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 6:45 am    Post subject: Industrial 50-2 lenshood Reply with quote

I recently bought a mint Industar 50-2 1973 vintage and it has the 33mm filter thread as stated in the above replies. I had the opportunity of buying an Industar lens hood cheaply so I did - but the diameter was too big to fit over the aperture ring - so it must be for the later 35.5mm version. Five minutes with a bit of black tape fixed that.

Industar 50-2 lenshood by Andrew R, on Flickr

But it does look strange