Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

In search of the dream standard lens?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:09 pm    Post subject: In search of the dream standard lens? Reply with quote

http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121:adorable-50s-the-portrait-primes-battle&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least two lenses I have get a honourable mention. ( Rokkor & Zuiko 50 1.4's ) It's an interesting test.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing. They all produce very nice results. Of course, I would like the Leica the best. Must start saving my pennies.

Last edited by JJB on Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main thing I take from that is that most 'normal' primes are more than good enough.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is an interesting link - thank you for sharing it.
There are no bad ones here - simply degrees of good, and all can be great when managed according to their strengths and foibles.
I think that too many photographers are looking for the magic bullet lens, that allows them to stop thinking about their image making and its art.
There are also plenty of image creators who could take any of those lenses - and many other 50's besides - and make art with them.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have none of these 50s. Cool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
I have none of these 50s. Cool

+1 Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only M.Zuiko 45/1.8 and those bastards include only NEX shots. Dang! Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: In search of the dream standard lens? Reply with quote

I remember looking at this over 2 years ago!

stingOM wrote:
http://3d-kraft.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=121:adorable-50s-the-portrait-primes-battle&catid=40:camerasandlenses&Itemid=2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much more important than the lens is the model.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink

But heck. we have all been guilty of pinning after that fairy dust at some point Razz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Calvin, I also own none of those 50s. But this test isn't gonna make me rush out and buy one or more. I'm perfectly content with the sharpness, contrast, and bokeh of the MF 50s I do own: Canons, Nikkors, and Pentaxes.

As Oldhand wrote, "there are no bad ones," which I think is a comment that can be expanded to include almost all 50s that have ever been made. So, it's hard to go wrong with most any 50mm lens, especially if you play to its strengths rather than emphasize its weaknesses.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at CAs in mirror reflection of bottles in the bar. Only Leica 50/1.4 and SLR magic managed to minimize them there. Others all have greenish cast.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO
All lenses are fine when there's a pretty woman to take her pictures.
True lens test should be with old people where you can see the wrinkles ... sharply.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikono wrote:
IMHO
All lenses are fine when there's a pretty woman to take her pictures.
True lens test should be with old people where you can see the wrinkles ... sharply.

Wink +1

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

luisalegria wrote:
Much more important than the lens is the model.

I certainly agree with Luis on that one. There is no "dream lens" - only some photographers dream to find a lens
which does all the work for them miraculously Wink YOU do the work and then basically every lens will work!! Wink

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that a selection of eight lenses from five manufacturers makes for "a good overview" of a focal length which every camera manufacturer has produced several variants of over the course of the last 6 decades..

Good sales pitch for the SLR Magic lens though, with a good comparison to and name-check alongside the Leica.. or am I being overly cynical?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about having a large collection of lenses is that you can see that generally all lenses are different in some way, that no lens is perfect for all situations, though some do come close.
Any lens can be used artistically, in fact the less perfect a lens is the easier it is to use it in an artistic way.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuriousOne wrote:
Look at CAs in mirror reflection of bottles in the bar. Only Leica 50/1.4 and SLR magic managed to minimize them there. Others all have greenish cast.

There were some bottles? Shocked Wink

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the indoor shots I prefer the Olympus OM 50 @1.4. I like the softness of it. Of the outdoor shots I like the Leica Summicron.

I'd love to have that Sony SEL 50 though as it's auto focus and would be better for a moving subject.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to find this thread and read the results of the linked test. Agree that this doesn't encompass a valid test of all 50s.
Just a glimpse of the test lenses and subjectively picking one.

I have the Sony E-mount, and have a Zuiko 50mm f1.8 coming. The Sony is not a top of the line lens, but is a remarkable prime for the money. Never fails to impress me. Will continue to try to acquire a few more primes to compare. Love the results found here and elsewhere of Rokkor glass.

Another site had a more technical test, between Canon and Zuiko 1.4s, and showed the Canon handles flare better. So, depending on your subject and type of photography, some will be more desirable than others.

And yes, the model was cute. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLR Magic HyperPrime CINE 50mm T0.95 (F0.92) (one of the currently available prototypes, click here for details)
Leica Summilux 50mm F1.4 ASPH (M-Mount, E46)
Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4
Olympus OM 50mm F1.4 (OM-mount)
Olympus OM 50mm F1.8 (OM-mount)
Sony 50mm F1.8 OSS (SEL 50F18, E-Mount)
Olympus M-Zuiko 45mm F1.8 (MiroFourThirds Mount)
Leica Summicron 50mm F2.0 pre-ASPH (M-Mount, E39)

Since I last commented on this I have acquired a Mamiya Sekor 55 / 1.8 in addition to the Minolta MC Rokkor 50mm F1.4 and the Olympus OM 50mm F1.4 (OM-mount) + Olympus OM 50mm F1.8 (OM-mount) that are on the list. And I honestly think the Mamiya is the best 50ish lens I have, out of about 30 50ish lenses. I dare say the Mamiya would not win when used to shoot test charts and be subjected to severe pixel peeping, but it's a lens that I can put on the Sony A6000 and rely on, it's as sharp as I need it to be, the colours are excellent and it's just a great lens to use. I know what I'm going to get from it, as indeed I do from the Rokkor's and Zuiko's; and the Canon's, Pentax, Helios, CZJ and all the others, but the Mamiya has one thing going for it. It's the best average lens I've ever used, it never surprises me, but always pleases me.