Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I'm a happy bunny! :)
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: I'm a happy bunny! :) Reply with quote

For the past 2 years I've been struggling with a bit of backfocus with my 400D after I changed the focus screen. I knew I had to focus slightly in front of the subject, but it was hit and miss. More often than not I misjudged it.

So recently I made the effort to correct it. I followed Rick Oleson's advice to stick a sliver of Magic tape on the brass spacing shim under the screen. Results have been really spectacular, thanks Rick!

CZJ S 135/3.5

CZJ Flek 2.4/35

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great sharp pics!
welcome to manual focus Very Happy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Indeed!! Congrats !

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, Peter!
Well done!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, Peter, the tape certainly proved its name!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, this type of fixing is a lot hit and miss and you seem to have nailed it the first time.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a spot-on result, Peter.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I realised after posting these pics it would have been better to select a close-up and wide open. These two, picked at random, are both around infinity with small apertures, so they don't prove a lot. I'll see what I can do next time.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to your prod, I decided to go for it as well. Thanks, Peter.
I had the EE-S in my 5D and I was pretty happy with it. But I am so used to a split image or a mirco-prism ring that I missed the odd shot because of a misfocus.
Henry, whom I bought the 5D from, had included several matte screens, one of those a Leica-R screen. Well, I installed this one and it's fantastic. The micro-prism ring is visible a little below the AF-mark ring but that doesn't bother me. Neither does the little dirt that is visible at the very top of the finder now.
The most important thing is: the cam now is spot-on with an f/1.4 lens!!
Yiippiiieehh!

Thanks, Peter! Without your thread I would not have done it, I guess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! It really does make a difference when it's accurate - you have more confidence. I thought it would be OK to focus on the subject and then move the top half of the image a tiny bit to the right but, as I said, this was only succesful some of the time.

Now I see I need to clean the sensor! Smile

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took some shots in the garden today, just to test it at open apertures (f/1.4 to f/2).
And really, the micro-prism ring is more accurate than the AF - and the 5D has quite a good AF system.

I just needed to adjust the meter, which is easy enough to do with the EV-compensation. Wink

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2010 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very sharp pics thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sert85 wrote:
Very sharp pics thanks for sharing

Thankyou! Smile