Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ikon Nettar II 6x9 ... fair deal?
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Ikon Nettar II 6x9 ... fair deal? Reply with quote

I just chucked $50 at a supposedly "mint condition", working, Ikon Nettar II 6x9cm folder, with a Novar 105mm f4.5 lens in a Prontor shutter (with leather case and operating manual). It will take a while for it to arrive so that I can run a film through it.

I haven't seen a price guide for folders - I suppose there is too much variation in condition and camera/lens/shutter configuration to make it feasible - but I wonder what those in the know reckon about this price.

Here's the beast (sorry about the quality - they are not my photos):

I hope the lens is good. It would be nice to see what a 6x9 is capable of.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice acquisition!
You should get some good results from that.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dave.

Yeah, a 6x9 negative should be quite something with a fine modern emulsion.

The 10.5cm f4.5 novar seems to be less common than the f6.3 and the Nettar itself is more often in the 6x6 configuration with a 7.5cm lens than in the larger format, so I can't track down much info (or any samples) with this lens. I gather it is probably a Cooke triplet. If the results are anything like the Trioplan it should be fantastic. But that's hoping, isn't it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats! I can't wait too see your result! I love to see in color if don't mind. Your purchase price was excellent I guess, cheaper than in our cheapest shop!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll keep my fingers crossed that it works as claimed. Meanwhile I need to order that tool of yours to get the lens off the Zenobia (it's been a busy couple of weeks for me!).

OOOpps! Just realised I put this in the SLR forum. It'll be quite a coup if I've got an SLR Nettar IIc!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed ....

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Novar 6,3 / 105 is fantastic ! either used on original Ikonta or hacked and mounted on bellows ...

I have the chance to own an original sunshade for this lens ...

Stopped down to f/16 ...
Ikonta
Original scan 3460 x 5500 pix 1600 ppi

Last edited by Helios on Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:27 am; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's good to see. Do you have a gallery of shots with this lens?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked I never thought it can be this good! Thanks! Please share with us film type too.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another forum that a key issue with image sharpness on old 6x9 cameras (it was talking about the Bessa I and II but no doubt it applies to all) is how flat the backplate holds the neg. A guy with a pile of old Bessas found that ALL of them needed the backplate adjusted to hold the film perfectly flat. He said it's easy to do but didn't give details.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulC wrote:
I read on another forum that a key issue with image sharpness on old 6x9 cameras (it was talking about the Bessa I and II but no doubt it applies to all) is how flat the backplate holds the neg. A guy with a pile of old Bessas found that ALL of them needed the backplate adjusted to hold the film perfectly flat. He said it's easy to do but didn't give details.

The backplates sometimes have weakened springs thanks to abuse or corrosion - and pre war Bessas in particular have a very thin door/pressure plate arrangement, with only a few millimeters of spring load, where minor wear and bending or differences in film and backing paper strength can affect flatness.

But beyond the spring load, there is nothing you can really adjust on the pressure plate of any old folder I am aware of - on all common folders with a swing door back and plate in door, the film plane is defined by the guide rails, and the plate only stabilizes the film in guide position.

In any case, suction problems probably are worse for film flatness - letting the door spring out may suck the film off the pressure plane and will in any case stir up lots of dust. Either can be avoided by folding the camera without advancing the film, and winding it immediately before shooting. If you cannot help carrying a folded camera with advanced film, open the door very slowly and carefully, and if the camera has no locking transport, tighten the film by a few mm.

Sevo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are good points. Also, I suppose that winding on just before shooting might help avoid the film going a bit slack. I'm in the habit of shooting and winding immediately, I need to change that.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The film ... Efke KB100 . 100 iso , Rodinal 1+50 .
I have some more pics , but I'm afraid they are not yet scanned ...
If that can help , Agfa Billy with the very humble Jgestar 7,7/105 mm is able to give similar results ! It is said Apotar is better , I have the Billy with Apotar , but never tried it , the whole camera is waiting a CLA.... Mr. Green
I've also an Isolette with Agnar , very good !
The Isolette III with Solinar and rangefinder can give results which are comparable to the Super-Ikonta 6x6 / Tessar ...
It is said that the Novar is a Schneider design .
My Bessa with Skopar 3,5/105 is very good but prone to huge flare and need a serious sunshade.
The best in my folding gear is however the Super-Ikonta 4,5x6 , but not far away ...

Original scan is 4700 x 2600 pix , only 1200 ppi ... I can do at 3200 ...

Last edited by Helios on Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not bad. The depth of field is fairly shallow but the area in focus looks sharp enough. I think I would have focused a bit further back, on the far side of the river.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have right , however this picture was taken at f/11 , if I remember. And I had no DOF table , only a rangefinder which has a less precise distance scale than the one of Novar ...
I took these pictures with the camera on monopod (1/100e s max shutter speed !) It is near impossible to get good picture without any shake problems with this camera , hand held ...
$50 for your camera sounds the right price ...