Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

If the Helios-40-2 was called "Leica-40-2"...
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:41 am    Post subject: If the Helios-40-2 was called "Leica-40-2"... Reply with quote

... it would never sell for anything less than 500 EUR.

Helios-40-2 on EOS 5D ( I think it was f/5.6 but not sure, maybe f/8 )

image resized (cropped on the sides for composition reason):

direct link for above image:
http://img172.imageshack.us/img172/8681/helios402atc3.jpg
(in case the embedded image gets shrinked)

And now 100% crop NON SHARPENED from the center:

direct link for above image:
http://img479.imageshack.us/img479/5024/helios402bkw9.jpg
(in case the embedded image gets shrinked)

Wink

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy Moly...
Good you forgot your Canon 100mm lens on that day Laughing

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EXCELLENT Orio! That lens is on my short list, but it's hard to find one at a decent price anymore. Sad
-Bruce

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballen Photo wrote:
EXCELLENT Orio! That lens is on my short list, but it's hard to find one at a decent price anymore. Sad
-Bruce

Yeah, I found this to be a little depressing:

http://www.wholesaledigital.co.za/m42home.htm

The site is based in Zaire, but the seismic activity we see of companies
buying up all the M42 lenses from smaller photo outlets, pawn shops, etc,
means the prices have already started to rise! Mad

Bill

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had both lens Helios-40-2 and Helios-40 older M39 single coated. I found no difference between them, both are superb lens. I sold out Helios-40-2 85mm f/1.5 and kept Helios-40 85mm f/1.5. Why ? Because no difference and I could sold for higher price Helios-40-2 and I more respect older lens than newest one if quality is same.

@Orio I can't say how lucky you with this colorful subjects, excellent subject, excellent shoot !

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Orio! Well done!

Excellent lens and you really have hit the focus!!! Wink

Carsten

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent pic Orio and beautiful colours. Just a lil bit underexposed.
What focal lenght is that Helios?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

I was also thinking of underexposed, but I am thinking underexposure extracted the details in dress (or what she is wearing Twisted Evil ) and ornaments. A challenge for photographer..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballen Photo wrote:
-Bruce

Well, the one whose link was posted by Carsten on the martekplace is still going at EUR 66. Which is a steal for the lens it is. It's a lens that I'd recommend to everyone. Of course I understand that for you on the other side of the pool, shipping price will reduce the bargain. But for a lens of this quality, it may be worth it, and still a bargain. I will not say publicly how much I paid my 40-2. Sad But I don't regret it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:

http://www.wholesaledigital.co.za/m42home.htm
The site is based in Zaire,
Bill

Bill I'm not totally sure, but I think that "co.za" is South Africa.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Himself wrote:

I know. More than a little bit. It's very underexposed actually. At least 1 stop. You can tell by the whites which are grey. I have been pondering on this shot a lot before converting. Fact is, I wanted to show the sharpness, and boosting the exposure somehow detracted from it.
Plus, the delicate shade of pink in that feather, was gone too.
It's really really difficult sometimes to decide about exposure.

Himself wrote:
What focal lenght is that Helios?

85mm.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attila wrote:
I had both lens Helios-40-2 and Helios-40 older M39 single coated. I found no difference between them, both are superb lens. I sold out Helios-40-2 85mm f/1.5 and kept Helios-40 85mm f/1.5. Why ? Because no difference and I could sold for higher price Helios-40-2 and I more respect older lens than newest one if quality is same.

I have both. I found a Helios-40 going cheap with a little (very little) fungus on the lens. So I got it and sent it to a lens repair guy in Bologna. I hope it will come back soon.
The only real difference I found with the 40-2 is the color, the 40 is much yellow, I suspect it can be radioactive. Which may be good as it may kill the fungus! LOL Laughing No, apart form jokes, I will give it the UV treatment when it comes back. I am already doing the same with my SMC Tak 1.4/50
I will say more, I am of the impression that my 40-2 is single coated too. Perhaps because it's old (made in 1972), but to me it looks the same as the 40.
I can't exclude however that more recent 40-2 may be multicoated. Which, considering the obnoxious flare I have been getting, would be a godsend. Although I never feel 100% safe in these cases, because I fear that the MC might change the overall quality of the lens.

In any case I would go anytime for a 40 that is cheap like the one in marketplace currently. A good lens hood and you are set. Actually the lens good may be a problem as the filter thread size is not standard. On this subject I'd like to know from you all, what do you do in such cases: stick gaffer tape on lens and cardboard hood? What other solution?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ballu wrote:
Himself wrote:

I was also thinking of underexposed, but I am thinking underexposure extracted the details in dress (or what she is wearing Twisted Evil ) and ornaments. A challenge for photographer..

You got me.
The underexposure comes originally from the 5D as I forgot to remove the -2/3 exposure adjustment that I set when shooting high contrast images. I could have boosted the exposure in development but it affected both the sharpness and the colors.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
Bill I'm not totally sure, but I think that "co.za" is South Africa.

Yes, I believe I was correct, Zaire was formerly Belgian Congo, which
is south central Africa. co=Congo, za=Zaire

Bill

ps Pic doesn't look all that underexposed on my monitor, maybe it does on
CRT monitors...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill,

"za" is the internet country code for South Africa. It actually comes originally from the Dutch name "Zuid-Afrika" and is also the international ISo standard code, like US, GB or DE for Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.za

The address given on the website is actually
P.O Box 2986
Nelspruit, 1200
South Africa

The code for Zaire is ZR and Zambia is ZM. The "co" is short for "company" which most websites outside USA have to use with their country code (eg: .co.uk) instead of .com

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Bill,

"za" is the internet country code for South Africa. It actually comes originally from the Dutch name "Zuid-Afrika" and is also the international ISo standard code, like US, GB or DE for Germany.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.za

The address given on the website is actually
P.O Box 2986
Nelspruit, 1200
South Africa

The code for Zaire is ZR and Zambia is ZM. The "co" is short for "company" which most websites outside USA have to use with their country code (eg: .co.uk) instead of .com

Thanks, Peter, I'm now painfully aware (and embarrassed) that my
source of information is grossly misinformed. Sorry, Orio! Embarassed

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

katastrofo wrote:
Thanks, Peter, I'm now painfully aware (and embarrassed) that my source of information is grossly misinformed. Sorry, Orio! Embarassed

Bill

Golly, now I read it again I did sound like a schoolteacher Bill, my apologies. I have to say it's a bit of a challenge for me when American members put their state code after their name. I take it WA is Washington State, not Washington DC, and OH is Ohio. What is NC? And where is "Big Sky Country" - I always think of Holland, where the skies are gigantic Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,
You're correct, WA= Washington

NC= North Carolina
Big Sky Country = Montana (do a Google of Montana and you will see
where it gets its name)

Peter, no problem about your post, much appreciated. I did send my
friend your info about the South African codes. Why keep the embarrassment all to myself? Surprised Twisted Evil

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: If the Helios-40-2 was called "Leica-40-2"... Reply with quote

Orio, I saw this picture of the pretty girl in the carnival outfit a couple of weeks ago. I was shaken by it then and it still captures me when I look at it now. You can talk about sharpness or over/under exposure whatever, but for me the amazing thing is how you captured the look of absolute delight on the young girl's face. Wonderful.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: If the Helios-40-2 was called "Leica-40-2"... Reply with quote

peterqd wrote:
Orio, I saw this picture of the pretty girl in the carnival outfit a couple of weeks ago. I was shaken by it then and it still captures me when I look at it now. You can talk about sharpness or over/under exposure whatever, but for me the amazing thing is how you captured the look of absolute delight on the young girl's face. Wonderful.

Thanks Peter. Capturing the sincerity of the moment is my polar star in photography. So what you just wrote, made my day.