Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Identifying Vivitar rebranded manual focus lenses
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 55mm f/2.8 Macro (made by Komine)

***** <-- That's me having real fun taking macro Smile

Mine came with a very nice metal front cap, Vivitar branded.

Extend from 7cm up to 13cm (at 1:1)

You can judge by yourself with some of my sample here :
http://forum.mflenses.com/vivitar-55mm-f2-8-auto-macro-t46792.html

If the shot aren't that great, it's mostly my fault Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 pm    Post subject: Vivitar lenses Reply with quote

Two to add to the list?

Vivitar S1 70-210 f2.8-4 (Komine) ****

Vivitar S1 70-210 F2.8-4 Q-DOS (Cosina)***

Personal ratings for some favourites I have :

S1 28-90 1.2.8-3.5 Komine ****

S1 28-105 1.2.8-3.8 Cosina ****

70-150 Kiron ***

Phil P

35-70 2.8-3.8 Komine ***

135 2.8 CF Komine ****

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe another one to the list? Also if you have any info on this lens??

Is a Vivitar wide angle 35 mm f/3.5 preset

SN-70795

M42 mount.

It is small so is hard to count the number of blades but i think it has 14.

I will post some pics as soon as i get home.

here some pictures of the lens

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Two more Vivitars - mount adapter to EF DSLR? Reply with quote

The Tokina-made 24mm/2.8

58mm filtersize.. First-generation?

Rear element, with aperture switch and N/F engraved

That's obviously the lens I'm most interested in. I just need to know how I can determine the mount type - M42, OM, T, Nikon, etc?
Would love to try this guy out on an EOS body, maybe even with an AF chip (thoughts on this?)

Cosina-made 80-200mm/4.5

52mm filtersize, but the interesting part is the JC Penney.. anyone familiar with this?

This lens seems to have an issue with the aperture ring, as the blades don't appear to get any wider after f8 (unless the difference is just unnoticeable to me).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Two more Vivitars - mount adapter to EF DSLR? Reply with quote

enigmaticz wrote:
The Tokina-made 24mm/2.8

58mm filtersize.. First-generation?

Rear element, with aperture switch and N/F engraved

That's obviously the lens I'm most interested in. I just need to know how I can determine the mount type - M42, OM, T, Nikon, etc?
Would love to try this guy out on an EOS body, maybe even with an AF chip (thoughts on this?)

Cosina-made 80-200mm/4.5

52mm filtersize, but the interesting part is the JC Penney.. anyone familiar with this?

This lens seems to have an issue with the aperture ring, as the blades don't appear to get any wider after f8 (unless the difference is just unnoticeable to me).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 800mm f8 (Tokina built...I'd give it three stars) and Vivitar 600mm f8 (Tokina built... three stars)

Last edited by Boomer Depp on Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitar 120-600mm f5.6-f8 [Olympus mount](Kobori built...four stars) Just picked up a second copy of this lens with a Nikon F mount on ebay yesterday....these lenses are surprisingly good.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mostly Vivitar TX Series 2nd generation(All Tokina with the exception of one Kiron built 85-205 on top left.)

Back Row L-R:85-205/3.5 Close Focus ***,300/5.6 TX ***,400/5.6 TX***,75-260/4.5 TX ** or ***(lens flares easily),90-230/4.5 TX ***,90-230/4.5 Close Focus TX ***

Front Row:70-150/3.5 Close Focus ****,75-205/3.5 Close Focus ***,35-105/3.5 Close Focus TX***,100-300/5 Close Focus TX ***,100-200/4 Close Focus ****

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice pipes Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The pipe marks the point at which the orangutan ends and man begins....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So can anybody help a newbie out with the questions on the two lenses I posted earlier?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, seemed to be most appropriate but looks to be more show & tell at this point than Q&A

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html

N/F: Nikon F mount

Hard to tell anything from your second set of pix.The lens looks wide open.Try flicking the aperture lever on the mount as you adjust the aperture.Could be oil on the aperture blades....Or the spring is stretched,broken or not connected.

This thread is about identifying Vivitar lenses and how the lens is rated...hardly a show and tell.

You would have better luck if you made a thread specific topic about your questions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

enigmaticz wrote:
So can anybody help a newbie out with the questions on the two lenses I posted earlier?

Sorry if this is the wrong thread, seemed to be most appropriate but looks to be more show & tell at this point than Q&A

As Boomer says.

I did own the 24mm and it may just have been my copy, but it was rubbish.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the pointers, I'll try to get some life out of them and come back with some contributions if possible. Hopefully there's something salvageable here

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vivitars are notorious for copy variation, I had two copies of the 28 serial 2.8/28 and one was very good, the other was a total dog, one of the worst lenses I ever owned. I also had a 2.3/135 that was garbage, while others have had great copies of that lens.

I guess the only way is to try a copy out and see how it is.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Auto VMC 55mm f/1.4 Reply with quote

Nice list, thanks for compiling it. I've had this Auto VMC 55mm f/1.4 for a while, have found very little about it, and didn't see it on the list, so here it is:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:00 am    Post subject: An early Vivitar 21mm? Reply with quote

I have a Vivitar Auto 21mm 3.8 in T mount. Most of the sites that talk about Vivitar serial numbers say that the Tokina numbers have 9 digits. But mine has 7. It starts 37021 and then has two more digits. Is this still Tokina? Too early for the serial numbering system? It looks well used, but the glass is fine. I can upload a photograph of it if there is any interest from a historical perspective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: An early Vivitar 21mm? Reply with quote

asharpe wrote:
I have a Vivitar Auto 21mm 3.8 in T mount. Most of the sites that talk about Vivitar serial numbers say that the Tokina numbers have 9 digits. But mine has 7. It starts 37021 and then has two more digits. Is this still Tokina? Too early for the serial numbering system? It looks well used, but the glass is fine. I can upload a photograph of it if there is any interest from a historical perspective.

t-mount or T4/TX mount?? If the latter they're all tokina.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:29 am    Post subject: Re: An early Vivitar 21mm? Reply with quote

marcusBMG wrote:
asharpe wrote:

t-mount or T4/TX mount?? If the latter they're all tokina.

Looks like a T4 mount, based on http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/index-99.html The inside of the mount (and the adapter, for that matter), have PATS.PEND on them. The adapter goes to M42.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7 digit serial numbers is common on T4/TX

Last edited by wildlight images on Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wildlight images wrote:
7 digit serial numbers is common on T4/TX, and authenicated as Tokina since they invented these ic mounts

I have two Vivitar TX mount lenses, that I've attributed to Tokina because of the 37****** serial numbers, and the knowledge of people here on the forum. But they both have eight digit numbers. Question
Vivitar 200 / 3.5 and Vivitar 90-230 / 4.5 zoom.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy wrote:

I have two Vivitar TX mount lenses, that I've attributed to Tokina because of the 37****** serial numbers, and the knowledge of people here on the forum. But they both have eight digit numbers. Question
Vivitar 200 / 3.5 and Vivitar 90-230 / 4.5 zoom.

I was not questioning anything at all, I was just commenting 7 digits is common on Vivitar T4/TX.

I have a Vivitar 35-70mm 3.5-4.5 with a 55mm filter and the lens does not show up up on any Vivitar list I can find, it is not a "28" Komine (about 3 versions), it is in the original box and coordinates with the 82-84 Vivitar era packaging scheme..... it has no special ending serial number "000" or "0003", is built like a Swiss watch (better than any 35-70 Viv I have seen, Tokina, or Cosina and even Yashica) and a very nice looking design well done, closer to leica/german styling than Japanese ...cosmetic appearance speaking, a more straighter cylindrical look ....then you read the code .."94"xxxxx, and you scratch your head and ask yourself "huh, Cosina?"

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Vivitar 75-200mm 1:4.5 MC 42030179 ø55 (Bauer) Nikon AI Reply with quote

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if it's of any interest to this thread, but I just received a Samyang 800mm f/8 mirror in T2 mount, which apparently was also re-badged as a Vivitar, and with it came a T2 mount 2x teleconverter which is badged "Vivitar Series 1" ... weird thing, never seen a T2 teleconverter before!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2019 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts about panagor PMC 80-200 4.5 macro 55mm filter serial number starting 81...? I found it should be Polar maker ,but no other info at all -