Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

IDAHO 135mm f/1.8 - RARE??
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:49 am    Post subject: IDAHO 135mm f/1.8 - RARE?? Reply with quote

How rare can you get? Stumbled upon this behemoth just yesterday at a local camera market and was surprised to not see anything on it on the net. It's probably lost in old photography magazines. It got me so curious and fascinated that I ended up buying it for a bargain!

It's longer, fatter, and heavier than my Porst 135m 1.8 which I love, but this one is something else! The filter ring is slightly bigger than the 82mm of the Porst (probably 86mm), it's two-tone (silver and black), has two aperture rings for preset control, came in a T-mount, has 18 beautiful curved diaphragms, a leather case, metal lens hood, and a tripod foot! The front element ring had the inscriptions "IDAHO" f=135mm 1:1.8 172001" so it must be the first one out of the factory or someone's backyard workshop??! The most puzzling thing is at the rear, there's an inscription which says "Made in Japan" (!) Must be a re-badged Pentax?

I wasn't able to test it right there, because i didn't have the adapter with me so I bought blindly with a risk. I was able to score a free T-mount to PK adapter from one of the tables there but no one had a Pentax DSLR body during that time! At first glance optics were acceptably clear with a few haze which is probably a tell-tale sign of it's age.

When I got home, I quickly got hold of my T-mount to Nikon adapter which i use for my telescope and the Nikon to Canon adapter, which when put together, had a bit of play between the adapters. First impressions were good, actually looks sharper than the Porst at wide open, and bokeh is really good even when stepped down. The only plus side to the Porst is that it's more saturated than the IDAHO. Not a biggie to me, though.

Have to get me a proper T to EOS adapter. I'll try and post photos soon. I'm hoping someone here who's more knowledgeable can shed a light on this potential gem or try and paste a link to some info as a challenge. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Last edited by jonathandael on Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:58 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could show us some photos of this IDAHO lens? I think your lens is similar to this one http://forum.mflenses.com/what-is-this-lens-titan-135mm-f1-8-m42-t47422.html .

You can find more info on the 1.8/135s here http://forum.mflenses.com/sigmatel-135mm-f1-8-t10703.html

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! you got it, Calvin! Looks exactly the same! I'll post more photos when i get home.
Thanks for the second link too with the 135mm lens designs. I'm pretty sure now that it's Sigma-made based
on the cross section.

Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here are some photos of the lens and sample shots just taken today. Very Happy

side by side with the Porst 135/1.8
_DSC0006_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

_DSC0008_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

_DSC0009_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

_DSC0015_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ f/16
_DSC0017_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

Porst at f/16
_DSC0018_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

Last edited by jonathandael on Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some sample shots.. full frame, only minor auto curves adjustments done.

@ wide open
_MG_2346_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

_MG_2356_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ f/1.8
_MG_2358_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ f/2.8
_MG_2359_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

bokeh @ 1.8
_MG_2361_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

bokeh @ 2.8
_MG_2362_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

bokeh @ f4
_MG_2363_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

bokeh @5.6
_MG_2364_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ 5.6
_MG_2374_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ 1.8 minor curves adjustment
_MG_2383_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

_MG_2386_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

@ f 16!
_MG_2389_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

Last edited by jonathandael on Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice hippie strap on the 5D

I have excactly same in blue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice find, looks a good performer too, well done on grabbing it while you had the chance.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SonicScot wrote:
Nice find, looks a good performer too, well done on grabbing it while you had the chance.

+1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely bug guns! Very Happy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I got it from the same camera flea market a few years ago. I'm looking for another one, actually.. Very Happy

kansalliskala wrote:
nice hippie strap on the 5D

I have excactly same in blue

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the pictures.

They look quite good. Very usable image quality.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! A few more comparisons:

Porst 135mm 1.8 @ 1.8
_MG_2434_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

IDAHO 135mm 1.8 @ 1.8
_MG_2438_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

Porst 55mm 1.2 @ 1.2
_MG_2436_DxO copy by Jonathan Dael, on Flickr

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2020 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jonathan. This an old post, but let's try. Looks like my PMs are not being opened. Do you still have this lens, and would you sell it ? Thank you !