Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

Ica (Zeiss) Universal Juwel 9x12 Plate Camera
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Ica (Zeiss) Universal Juwel 9x12 Plate Camera Reply with quote

Soon to start on ebay - Item 221068893074

Ica (part of the Zeiss-Ikon merger) Universal Juwel 9x12 Plate Camera

The Juwel was the top of the Ica - and Zeiss-Ikon - line of plate cameras. It was closer to what would be called a Field Camera today. It had more movements than any other German plate camera - front and back tilt, a drop bed, , more bellows extension - triple, not double extension bellows, double focus tracks, interchangeable lenses, a rotating back, its own pop-off mounting system for film backs, etc. This was the ultimate German plate camera.

The 13x18 version was supposedly Ansel Adams favorite camera, and he certainly did use one extensively. In any case the Juwel is uncommon, at least in the US. Linhof took over this part of the market after WWII.

This is a 9x12 version. Its mostly there, though there are some pieces missing (bed latch, brilliant finder, wire frame finder). The big problem is that it is also missing the entire left support strut and the plate it attaches to. I have no idea why this is missing. It works just fine with just the right strut, though its probably better if the tripod were screwed to the bed instead of the case, to avoid twisting. This assembly could be made out of brass stock, by a decent handyman, by just using the right plate and strut as a pattern.. Its pretty simple.

Bellows, rails, focusing mechanism, all movements and the back are in good shape and functional. Note that the front standard is tight and takes some effort to rack out to the front. Cosmetics are as seen. The leather is mostly there but worn off in spots. I have no film backs or groundglass back for this, though it wouldn't be hard to make an adapter to either 4x5 or 120 film backs.

I will ship to any country to which the US Postal Service will deliver.