Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

ICA Dominar 1:4,5. F=12cm
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: ICA Dominar 1:4,5. F=12cm Reply with quote

Circa 1916. A tessar originally on license to Huttig AG from Carl Zeiss. It continued under the formation of ICA in 1909, and indeed continued as the Dominar under Zeiss-Ikon when ICA came under its umbrella in 1926. Zeiss-Ikon ended up with essentially one lens being marketed under two names, such was the brand awareness of the Dominar. Further life was eeked out of it through a name change to Zeiss Opton (unrelated to the post war Oberkochen facility). Quite a life.

Christian Bruns new shutter design had only been out for around 4 years I think, so this was cutting edge stuff in its day.

The adapter I needed finally came through and I was able to cobble this contraption together -

These are test shots while sitting on my couch - trying different distances really, and they have no artistic merit.

APSC. Jpeg. f:9.5, hooded lens, exposure stopped down by one third. No pp unless stated.

1:1. The tower is 1.6 miles (2.6km) as the crow flies.

1:1

1:1

PP

PP'd.

I wanted to share these, as, although they have no artistic merit, I'm surprised at the performance of this old thing. On APSC I'm admittedly using little of the glasses product, but still, it's sharp enough, with good colour, and while the contrast is not automatically there, it is easily pulled out in pp. My first lens from this era and I think I've underestimated their ability to be used today. We shall see I suppose. I need to get it out and about in more manageable handheld guise, and of course use it in it's more natural spectrum of black and white.

Thanks for sticking with it to the end.

Last edited by Sciolist on Sun Oct 27, 2019 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like 1 Like 1 small

Go to see it still performs well after a century.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work. There is something charming about the rendition of these old lenses. Have you had it apart? They usually have a front block and a rear block that just screw in. I'm curious as to the design. I have a really old ica lens that is from this era. I don't recall if it's a dominar. If memory serves mine is unlabeled.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

calvin83 wrote:
Like 1 Like 1 small

Go to see it still performs well after a century.

Indeed. Thanks.

Last edited by Sciolist on Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamaeolus wrote:
Nice work. There is something charming about the rendition of these old lenses. Have you had it apart? They usually have a front block and a rear block that just screw in. I'm curious as to the design. I have a really old ica lens that is from this era. I don't recall if it's a dominar. If memory serves mine is unlabeled.

I've had the rear block off to clean the faces. As you say there are front and rear optical blocks that just screw off. The front one does not want to unscrew at the moment and I don't want to force it. When I have the patience to take my time with it, I'll try again as there would be some benefit to a clean.