Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I should stop buying - possibly - maybe now I should
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:19 pm    Post subject: I should stop buying - possibly - maybe now I should Reply with quote

Once a week (usually on a Saturday) I visit this little shop in a nearby town with a population of about 80,000.

Why do I go every week, because it is where I buy my camera lenses, is it a photographic shop, no, where is it..... as if I would let that slip Smile

So as usual I paid a visit today, what did I buy:

A fully working and in excellent condition Zenit 11 with Helios-44M-4 (with cap) and Helios 228 flash gun cost £4.99 ($7.73):

The serial number on the lens 872*****, the camera is 8709****.

My other purchase for today, a nice P/K mount Auto-Chinon multi-coated 28mm 2.8. Not that I need another 28mm what with the M42 Cosinon and the P/K Welmy. But then again at only £4.99 ($7.73) with 1a filter and case, I couldn't resist.

A quick test shot this early evening, wide open 2.8, 1/100:

I must stop going, but if there are usable bargains should I?

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Sun May 18, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 11 times in total

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: I should stop buying - possibly Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Once a week (usually on a Saturday) I visit this little shop in a nearby town with a population of about 80,000.

Why do I go every week, because it is where I buy my camera lenses, is it a photographic shop, no, where is it..... as if I would let that slip Smile

That wouldn't be a town with a famous pier?

Nice finds - but I hope you have more storage space than I do. I resist acquiring bodies, though I weakened recently and grabbed a Spotmatic F with a Super Tak SMC 50mm f1.4 for £30.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk,

So you have heard of the place Smile

I have no storage, luckily though I only have a Zenit E (purchased the other week for £3), the Retinette II and the Zenit 11, although I am tempted to buy a Zenit TTL tomorrow when I visit the good old car boot sale (it has been there for the last few weeks). They just look nice on my bookshelf.

Spotmatic F with a Super Tak SMC 50mm f1.4 - all I can say is yep, that sure needed to be done, congrats on that find.

May see you at the bootsale tomorrow, if someone grabs a camera lens off of you, it wasn't me!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Basilisk,

So you have heard of the place Smile

May see you at the bootsale tomorrow, if someone grabs a camera lens off of you, it wasn't me!!!

You are safe from me - it is about 90 miles beyond my usual range. You gave too many clues in your information!
I would buy all sorts of things if I didn't stick to my rules:
Can I use a new lens? (either on my NEX 5N, or now M42 on the Spotmatic)
Is it better, faster or more useful from my current best lens in that range? (no more fast 50s, unless they are famously good)
Is it a stupidly low price, so I can safely throw a tenner at it now and lay it down like a bottle of fine wine to pay my pension when I retire.

So no interesting folding cameras or bakelite 1950s beauties, however good they look on the shelf. Now if I saw a good medium format system for silly money I might be tempted.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two very nice lenses. The Helios is a joy, and I think the Chinon has a decent reputation.

Of course you know that you are now doomed to lurking around charity shops and boot sales in case there's a bargain to be found. Just keep to your own patch and don't come down here snapping up the charity shop bargains, this is my turf ! Wink

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basilisk,

Quote:
You gave too many clues in your information!

And I thought I was being careful Wink although if you read all my posts over the months, then I guess it is pretty easy. Plus I believe we have had the pleasure to converse before about such issues

I buy too much because it is a great price - I even purchased a Yamaha drum machine last week for £4.99, but I know some young lads that will have a great time with it annoying their parents with Eminem style beats.

There is a chap in town I know who has hundreds of cameras, the majority 35mm (compacts & SLR), I may well give the Zenit bodies to him as I know they will get used, as do all his cameras. He has about 6 on the go at a time. I think the Zenit cameras look nice, a lot nicer than the Ricoh I had (which funnily enough) I gave to the chap above.

One thing I am strict on though - even if it is a good price, it has t fit my Pentax DSLR - so I kook for Exacta, Minolta MD/MC, M42 and of course P/K.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lloydy,

Thank you!!

Quote:
Of course you know that you are now doomed to lurking around charity shops and boot sales in case there's a bargain to be found. Just keep to your own patch and don't come down here snapping up the charity shop bargains, this is my turf ! Wink

I will never tread on your turf, unless I am on holiday,,,,,, Smile

At the local bootsale, I have got to know lots of traders, all a great bunch of people. I only go because I always wake p early and as I cannot stay in bed I have to do something at ridiculous early hours of a Sunday morning.

Quote:
And if someone grabs a camera lens off of you, it wasn't me!!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, you two - you have the bug there is no doubt.
A friend of mine thought of a way to manage his collection, to stop it getting too large.
He imposed a rule on himself after his collection had reached a certain number - I can't remember what the number was - The rule is: ........ one in/one out. In other words, he could continue to buy, but if, when he got it home, it was good enough to go in the collection, something had to come out, if not he passed it along or sold it.
On the other hand, I know a collector who had to extend his home ........
Cheers
OH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand,

Wise words indeed and I nearly choked on my cup of tea with laughter:

Quote:
Laughing

I will have to impose some rules like that on myself.

Cheers!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
Ha, you two - you have the bug there is no doubt.
A friend of mine thought of a way to manage his collection, to stop it getting too large.
He imposed a rule on himself after his collection had reached a certain number - I can't remember what the number was - The rule is: ........ one in/one out. In other words, he could continue to buy, but if, when he got it home, it was good enough to go in the collection, something had to come out, if not he passed it along or sold it.
Cheers
OH

I think I am hooked even though I only have two semi decent lenses. Both Minolta.

Self imposed rules are good.

My plan is to try to stick with just Minolta and German lenses. The German lenses are expensive so that self imposed rule should prevent me from going overboard. Recently I bought an X-700 that turned out being in mint condition and three lenses for $35. Two lenses were no good. I sold one Tamron zoom that had fungus and the camera for $25.

From this I have left a MD 50mm 1.4 and another zoom that is badly damaged. I plan to keep the zoom for dismantling experience. Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep.... definetly GAS has hit you.... and many more! (me too....)

What i do : just keep on buying. But only within a certain budget. Over time i had so many stuff that i never used that i decided to start selling items. With that money i bought other stuff, very often complete sets. Some pieces i keep, others i sell again.
But i never go beyond that fixed budget, so if i want some, in some cases that just means that i have to sell something else! And that way you have a constanly changing collection.
It works for me! Very Happy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At these prices it's rude not to! Don't let the missis find out!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philslizzy wrote:
At these prices it's rude not to! Don't let the missis find out!!

She knows, she's okay with it!

You must be smart: when you make a good profit on an item, buy her a nice pair of high-heels! Wink Works like a charm!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me!!!

I've stopped the random buying now (I think) and I'm working my way thru the stuff I have and keeping what I will use or looks good on the shelf.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: OMG - what did I buy today Reply with quote

parabellumfoto, all the best with your self imposed rules, and good hunting!

TrueLoveOne, Indeed, I went out today with rules in place.

philslizzy
Quote:
At these prices it's rude not to!
and I broke my rule today Smile

So after an early rise, 2 cups of tea, a load of washing in the machine, I sat waiting for my mate to text he was ready.

I had £15 ($23i) in my wallet, and as we were driving along, I said I'll just get another tenner out.

I had no intention of buying anything today, except for a couple of DVD's for my daughter (for some reason she wanted High School Musical if I could find it), wonders never cease. Anyway found that for 50p ($0.77).

As we were wandering around I spied an Hauppauge USB digital tuner (with disc and remote), as I had to remove the twin tuner in my pc due to lack of slots in my newer one, I thought do I, and after a little haggle £2 ($3.10).

I was happy. Up and down we marched - what's that I see, oh no, look away....... walk on...... turn back......

'How much do you want for the camera please', the words just popped out of my mouth.

I couldn't refuse paying £5 ($7.74) for this:

So the case is a little worn, but the 1.8 5.0 lens grabbed me in and it quietly whispered - buy me, please buy me. In the bag it went.

We carried on, up and down, up & down.

I spied a lens case, it was empty as my hand grabbed it, there was also a camera case, it was empty although it did have the KW (K above elongated w) logo on it (I had no idea mind what/who it stands for). I thought it may fit the Zenit 11 I bought yesterday.

'Excuse me, how much for the EMPTY cases please'

£5 ($7.74), I nearly feinted and said 'Thank you, I will think about it), I started to walk off, but wait, what's that in the plastic bag. A lens, it can't be, surely not. A quick look, lens cover off, lens cover on, back in the plastic bag

'How much for this item please'

£3 ($4.65), my hand automatically reached for the coin slot, 3 shiny pound coins lovingly given to the lady on the stall. I walked off, smiling, and thinking 5 quid for a case, robbery, 3 quid for a lens, bargain.

Do I tell you now or make you wait. OK, I am not that unkind.

So for my £3 I had purchased this:

A side view: seems to be in very good condition, one thing it needs is a little lube, as it probably hasn't been used n years.

I just can't wait to try it out and see if it is any good, it has 8 iris blades and a little lever on the side to shut the iris.

So I broke my rule, that I had set myself today. But for £8 ($12.39) I just couldn't stop myself.

Does this bug mean I need medical treatment, or will it pass on its own accord.

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 am; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another cup of tea and a good lie down should fix it.
Nice find.
OH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Pancolar for SO little money!!! OMG ! Shocked

That is worth breaking rules...... (several if necessary, lol!)

Congrats on that find!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I looked at a scruffy Pancolar today at the camera fair, well worn but optically OK. It was priced at £45. That was a steal at £3 Shocked

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't been back long when I posted a little earlier.

Thank you, I will need a lay down and a good cuppa.

I didn't think twice about buying the CZ, it felt just right to part with the money and break the rule (again).

So, I have just been in the garden and took some photos with it: these are straight off the camera - only resized as I have noticed the requirements Embarassed

F5.6 (although it seems to step in smaller stops), I even remembered to keep the little lever pulled, 1/125 (a little slow)

Wide open, 1/2000

Wide open, 1/2000 in black and white mode setting on camera

F5.6, 1/320 black and white mode setting on camera

Another lens to get used to. I will get some shots up using the Pentacon 1.8/5.0. This has a similar button to close the iris - purchased from a completely different car boot (actually a stall generally beside the car/van).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:19 pm    Post subject: and now the Pentacon 1.8/5 0 Reply with quote

Back in from the garden, I hope the plant doesn't mind its picture taken.

A couple of shots with the Pentacon 1.8/5 0 at ISO 400

F5.6 1/200

F5.6 1/160

Wide open 1/1000

This seems to be a good lens also, although the only niggle (I could fix the auto pin in place) is the position of the iris button. It probably shouldn't be used in the manner in which I press it and then take the shot, but it works.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this pentacon is my fav lens it is really good an I do have and posted some pics on this forum to prove it Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, they are both great lenses!! And the Pentacon is really underrated! I have all different versions as well as the original design, the Meyer Oreston 1.8/50 zebra.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think everyone on this forum sooner or later learns the same thing about collecting lenses, or maybe I should say "gathering" lenses. I have way too many lenses, but relatively few when compared to others on this forum. For sure, there is a thrill in getting a lens very inexpensively, especially a very good one, but getting just another average to good lens for cheap will be a short lived thrill. If this is weekend entertainment for you, then have fun; it sure doesn't cost you much. But if the objective is to acquire a fine collection of lenses, you're putting small bits of money out that could be saved for some really good glass. And really good does not necessarily mean expensive, but sometimes does. I've gotten to the point where I don't look for anything but just a very few that have escaped my bargain shopping. I know I don't need another lens just because it's a different brand than what I have.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov,

Quote:
this pentacon is my fav lens it is really good an I do have and posted some pics on this forum to prove it

By all means do post a link here, they would be great to see and it will stop us all searching Smile

TrueLoveOne, not sure what version this one is, it has the push button iris control, it is not a zebra but does have a silver label with the F stops on it.

They are very nice lenses!!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yours is a direct re-brand with some cosmetic changes of the Meyer original. The Meyer has the same button. It's a DOF preview button. Later versions are multi-coated, these aren't.