Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I should stop buying - possibly - maybe now I should
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 Digital Cameras and then dump all of it.
If you are not in a hurry, film serves well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh, I haven't shot film for about the last 6 years - especially on an SLR camera.

My Ricoh Kr-10 hadn't been used in years, so I gave it away to the chap that has hundreds of 35mm cameras of all shapes and sizes, which he does use. And the last 35mm film camera I actually purchased new and used was a compact zoom, and it was a very good make but utter rubbish. So I gave up and went with an Olympus E-410 digital, which was really nice.

I would like to put a roll of film through the 2 Zenit cameras recently purchased, but I only like matt finish and for some reason, this is always charged as an addition, I remember when it was the norm. I just hate gloss - whether it be paint or photographs.

So, as Sunday looms nearer, what would you really like me to find as I wander around?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: A slightly less yellow CZ Pancolar Reply with quote

Just an update on the extremely cheap CZ Pancolar that was yellowing due to the rare earth glass.

As I didn't want to subject this lens to direct sunlight for bleaching purposes, I had the thought that UV light from the sun must reflect and bounce and in theory be everywhere. So with this in mind, I have left the lens with the rear cap off in the daylight since Monday. Just now I went and took some shots, and the yellow (even looking at white paper through it) has significantly decreased.

Here are some shots that I took about half an hour ago.

F8 1/80 sec

wide open 1/500 sec

F8 1/25 sec

wide open 1/320 sec

These are not so yellow as the first images taken with this lens as shown on page 2: http://forum.mflenses.com/i-should-stop-buying-possibly-t58302,start,15.html

I will leave it uncapped in a shaded from the sun room as if it was getting used until Saturday. One thing, I hope giving it a little daylight doesn't devalue it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it's not as yellow as it was for sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: What did I buy today that I shouldn't have Reply with quote

So, today I went to that place to see if I could get any bargains in the camera/lens department, and although it was absolutely heaving with people I managed to get:

All the photos of the Carl Zeiss bargain were taken into the sun that was shining through the window.

Industar-50-2 3.5/5 0 complete with front lens cap. It was attached to a Zenit E, and as I already have one of those I didn't really want another one. The man on the stall said if I want just the lens, take it off and give me £3 ($4.67) I didn't refuse or haggle any more on that one and I thanked him for being so kind and generous:

The Industar is extremely sharp for such small lens and I am extremely impressed with it:

My next purchase was a Chinon CX camera with a 55mm 1:1.7 lens c/w front cap, case & strap - cost £5.00 ($7.79):

The Chinon 50mm 1:1.7 will need a good work out to push its capabilities, very good condition, smooth focus and very clean:

Next came a Pentax ME super with a SMC Pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7 lens and front cap - £5.00 ($7.79):

The camera works perfectly and all light lights up inside, the lens however does have fungus.

Considering the lens has fungus the test image isn't too bad,

I looked at the Zenit TTL a couple of weeks ago and wanted to add it to my other 2 Zenit collection.

A very nice TTL with a Helios 44m and Zenit lens cap - cost (I did haggle on this) and managed to get it for £7.eighty5 ($12.22)

I again thanked the seller for allowing it to be sold for such a great price.

First shot not too bad, but again, I would have to get use to this:

Not a bad day. I will give the bodies to the chap I know so he can put a film through them and check for light leaks, although looking at the cases all seem to be in very good condition. These I will keep and will get no more.

As mentioned last week, I was going to offer an item that I purchased for a great deal - with a forum user name drawn out of a box at work by the chap that prefers gnomes to cameras/photography.

Here I am in a little quandary, as the only lens I would let go would be the Pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7, not because of the fungus but because I already have the Pentax-A version. I could take it apart myself and use it as a housing for my 1920's lens Contessa-Nettel Conastigmat but that seems a real shame as the focus, iris, body etc. are all in very good condition.

I will look at guides on how to clean the inside of this lens.

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:29 am; edited 5 times in total

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try cleaning it yourself always fun and good practice, I just recently managed to clean minolta mc 50mm f1.7

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those are easy to clean, I've done a few now.

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nurkov & Lloydy, I will study guides on how to take apart and clean this lens, thank you.

An update, after buying some really small screwdrivers, and some patience, the fungus has now been removed, Thank you!!

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Sat May 18, 2013 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: Phenix 50mm 1:1.7 c/w Phenix DC30k Reply with quote

Last night (Friday), I had the pleasure of spending some money...

Believe it or not, I was actually after some Asahi Pentax Bellows II, which I did purchase with original box & instructions for a tidy sum of £12 ($18.45):

I also picked up another Zenit, this time a Zenit 12xp wth a Helios 44-M-4 for the same price as the bellows, I know I shouldn't have, but they are a fascinating brand of camera (camera 1985, lens 1984) and in really great condition, it also came with an official boxed set of Zenit M42 extension tubes with instructions.

But, this particular post is about a Chinese lens - a Phenix 50mm 1:1.7 which was attached to a Phenix DC30k - cost, I splashed out a fortune on this, £10 ($15.37), this does include the camera body, which is in excellent working condition. I was going to give this to the chap that has hundreds of cameras, but I had a couple of clicks a little earlier this evening attached to my Pentax K-x:

and personally, I think it will be a keeper: This was only resized, straight off the camera

PostPosted: Sun May 19, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Hoya multi-vision 55mm filter size Reply with quote

Today, I didn't go mad.

Accept that I purchased a boomerang - which is huge and hand carved, I would take a photo but it isn't relevant although it is really nice - cost 40 pence ($0.61).

I also purchased for 40 pence a Hoya multi-vision 55mm:

Please excuse the camera phone photo.

I had to purchase this as the Welmy 28mm 2.5, has a 55mm filter and that can only mean one thing - plenty of abnormal fun for the Undesired aberration, artistic shooters thread:

http://forum.mflenses.com/undesired-aberration-artistic-shooters-t58276,start,30.html

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: I must stop buying or wear a blindfold Reply with quote

Sunday 9th June:

is it worth anything and who is interested:

So today, I went out to look for something to offer a user on these forums as I had previously mentioned on this particular thread at a knock down price.

If you have followed this thread, you may well remember me saying that all interested parties are to put their name down by writing why they would like this lens and what benefit it will bring them, it does not have to be an essay. And a winner will be chosen at random by the chap who prefers gnomes.

The stipulation: the whole idea is to pass on bargains that I do not require and that I find to a lucky recipient for a knock down price. I do not want it to appear on ebay or anywhere so you can make a fast buck, I may as well do that myself.

What is it I hear you ask:

EBC X-Fujinon-T 135mm 1:3.5 DM with the Fuji bayonet mount. (comes with rear cap and a front cap - not original)

Serial number: 793443

There is not a case for it, but it seems to be in very good external condition with a smooth focus

There is a very tiny piece of dust visible inside, and under certain angle there appears to be a very feint form of spidery fungus, unsure which element it is on, but it is under the mm on 135mm. There is also something very tiny on the rear element, but I do not know if this is a little bit of cleaning tissue or another piece of fungus, it is not visible straight on however as it Is where the lens meets the metal. If you have the tools, it can be easily cleaned. Comparing it against my Kiron or the Pentax M shown a couple of posts above, the Fujinon is far cleaner optically, and the Kiron (with fungus) takes lovely photos).

The cost: The above lens will cost the winner £3.00 ($4.57 or 3.53 euro) with the paypal fee paid by the buyer.

The Postal charge to the USA/Canada/Portugal/Spain (as examples) using Royal Mail Air Sure small packets is £16.00 ($24.38, 18.81 euro). This includes the item being insured up to £100 ($152.28, 117.55 euro).

It will only be shipped to the registered paypal address.

So there you have it, once a winner has been drawn from the entrants, a PM will be sent to the winner and if required, we will move to the correct part of the forum to complete the transaction.

If admin require my ebay name, to verify me and my honesty, please PM me and I will happily supply this to you (407 ebay feedbacks, 100%).

Thank you and good luck!!

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the bootie today I did try to stop buying when a seller had a Zenit e with Helios 44-2 and Galaxy 135mm f3.5 for a £1...well I passed on this and thought I'd give someone else a chance, anyway after visiting other stalls and returned to the seller again, he still hadn't sold it, so if other people are not interested? well I am and bought them and amazingly everything worked, well the exposure meter is out 1 stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
At the bootie today I did try to stop buying when a seller had a Zenit e with Helios 44-2 and Galaxy 135mm f3.5 for a £1....
. Nice one, I do like Zenit cameras.

I wasn't sure about the Fujinon, the seller wanted £10, I knocked him down to £3.00 ($4.57 or 3.53 euro) as I explained what I was going to be doing with it, he did have a Yashica 28-85mm that I will try and get cheap for the next time.

Someone may well want the Fujinon for their 4/3 camera.

I will let this run until Wednesday.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
At the bootie today I did try to stop buying when a seller had a Zenit e with Helios 44-2 and Galaxy 135mm f3.5 for a £1....
. Nice one, I do like Zenit cameras.

I wasn't sure about the Fujinon, the seller wanted £10, I knocked him down to £3.00 ($4.57 or 3.53 euro) as I explained what I was going to be doing with it, he did have a Yashica 28-85mm that I will try and get cheap for the next time.

Someone may well want the Fujinon for their 4/3 camera.

I will let this run until Wednesday.

Well the Zenit would have been handy for M42...if I didn't have a Pentax S3, MTL3 and MTL5 Smile I doubt the Galaxy 135mm preset lens will be a hidden gem, so I'll give the Zenit or MTL3 with Galaxy lens to a charity shop eventually.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:23 am    Post subject: Makeshift Reply with quote

I found out in the early hours of this morning, I can physically hold the lens against my Pentax camera body and focus (at a set distance), I will take some photos tonight using this method and post them here for you to see the image quality.

Looking at the postal charge, if the value of the item is set below £50 then the insured postal charge drops to £12.60 ($19.56 or 14.82 euro).

Someone else's sample images can be found here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=29164

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:35 pm    Post subject: A quick test Reply with quote

Here it is, albeit not completely in focus, but it is difficult trying to hold a lens against a camera body that it isn't designed for and take a photo, I think the lens was pointed upwards slightly.

ISO 200, 1.80 sec, lens and camera separated

So if you have a micro 4/3 with the correct adapter or a camera that will use this lens, you have until Wednesday to go for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:23 pm    Post subject: Oh well, no one wanted a Fujinon 135mm in Fuji mount Reply with quote

As no one wanted the EBC X-Fujinon-T 135mm 1:3.5 DM with the Fuji bayonet mount, it will now be going on ebay with a starting price of 5 UK pounds. If it doesn't sell, I notice one is listed for nearly £90, so this is a bargain.

If it doesn't sell, then I will either try and take it apart and clean it, try and adapt it to an M42 mount or take it apart and have fun with the coated lenses and make my own bellows lens.

I did also pick up on Sunday a Vivitar PK mount 2x22 adapter, and also a Hanimex 200mm F4.5 preset lens (which I can find little info on) in PK mount, I will get some photo's up of that one hopefully tonight.

As this was the first attempt to find something of interest for somebody on this forum, I will continue to look for items that may be of interest to people. Maybe next time I will be successful.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh well, no one wanted a Fujinon 135mm in Fuji mount Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
As no one wanted the EBC X-Fujinon-T 135mm 1:3.5 DM with the Fuji bayonet mount, it will now be going on ebay with a starting price of 5 UK pounds. If it doesn't sell, I notice one is listed for nearly £90, so this is a bargain.

If it doesn't sell, then I will either try and take it apart and clean it, try and adapt it to an M42 mount or take it apart and have fun with the coated lenses and make my own bellows lens.

I did also pick up on Sunday a Vivitar PK mount 2x22 adapter, and also a Hanimex 200mm F4.5 preset lens (which I can find little info on) in PK mount, I will get some photo's up of that one hopefully tonight.

As this was the first attempt to find something of interest for somebody on this forum, I will continue to look for items that may be of interest to people. Maybe next time I will be successful.

Kind of you to do this, but for me I have the same lens in M42 mount......now ATM if you have a Topcor lens you would be trampled over in the rush Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh well, no one wanted a Fujinon 135mm in Fuji mount Reply with quote

Excalibur wrote:
now ATM if you have a Topcor lens you would be trampled over in the rush Wink

I will keep my eye open for anything out of the ordinary inc. Jupiter & Topcor, if it is cheap and I happen to buy it and don't want it for myself, I will post it here.

It can't be guaranteed, but if you can give me some ideas of what you will be interested in, then I won't of course be wasting my precious little funds. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh well, no one wanted a Fujinon 135mm in Fuji mount Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Excalibur wrote:
now ATM if you have a Topcor lens you would be trampled over in the rush Wink

I will keep my eye open for anything out of the ordinary inc. Jupiter & Topcor, if it is cheap and I happen to buy it and don't want it for myself, I will post it here.

It can't be guaranteed, but if you can give me some ideas of what you will be interested in, then I won't of course be wasting my precious little funds. Smile

Well I have a gap in my prime lenses of 80-100mm (just one EBC 100mm on an inconvenient Fuji mount), but would be surprised if you see many of them around.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Hanimex preset 200mm F4.5 in Pentax K mount Reply with quote

Another lens I purchased last Sunday (9th June), was this Hanimex 200mm F4.5 preset in Pentax K mount.

As of yet I have not tried the lens, but it would be nice to find out more about it. Once tested, I will of course post some photographs.

If you know the manufacturer, or can shed some more light on this lens, please let me know.

Photographs below are taken with the new addition Welmy 28mm 2.5, ISO 200, F16, flash, 1/160 sec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That Haminex looks a bit like the Soligor that I gave away to charity. Same focal length, aperture, and it's also preset. This lens also looks like it has an adapter screwed on the back. Mine was a T-mount and it had an M42 adapter screwed on.

The only difference is the paint colour on the numbering, layout of numbering, and the aperture ring.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh well, no one wanted a Fujinon 135mm in Fuji mount Reply with quote

As no one wanted the EBC X-Fujinon-T 135mm 1:3.5 DM with the Fuji bayonet mount, it is now on ebay with a starting price of 5 UK pounds as previously mentioned.

Guess which one is mine out of the 3.

1. Click here to see on Ebay
2. Click here to see on Ebay
3. Click here to see on Ebay

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you are going to sell yours, but *3 is hoping for a loser. Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:14 pm    Post subject: To keep or not to keep! Reply with quote

Ventured to the city today, as my daughter wanted and needed some new clothes for a trip to the capital.

I did not want to go around all the clothes shops as it becomes extremely boring, and luckily a big sister came along, so that was sorted.

As I was browsing around the streets, I ventured into a camera shop, something I rarely do, and looking around the shelves and cabinets the lens below caught my eye.

A very nice looking Schneider - Kreuznach Retina-Tele-Xenar 135mm/f:4.

My conscience told me to buy it, my wallet said don't, as a battle ensued between my mind and my hand. Well my mind won and I walked away with this lovely looking lens.

Apologies for the quality of the photos, it appears I hadn't changed the settings from my night time photography tests the other day.

So it is for a Kodak, but I believe I can get an adapter for my Pentax, which is tempting.

The question is do I keep it and try it, or pass it along?

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total