Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I should stop buying - possibly - maybe now I should
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim,

I wouldn't call it entertainment waking up at 5am every morning sometimes 4am, and I don't want to amass a lot of lenses.

Thankfully the ones that I have purchased for a few quid here and there will get used for various different subjects and some have only been purchased for the video function on the K-x, they will never be used for still photography.

As I have mentioned, I will only buy what will fit and work with my camera and mounts, although I will not go and purchase another Minolta MD mount lens. The 2 I have are adequate 45mm Rokkor (£4) and 200mm Paragon (£5)

Again, as for Exakta mounts, I have a very nice 135mm Tamron twin-tele (£eight pounds), the 35mm Steinheil Munchen (£0.99), and a 50mm Meritar (£0.99) and AICO pre-set 135mm 3.5 with 2 x converter (£0.99) .

In the P/k mount, I have the odd Welmy 28mm 2.5 (£5), 135mm 3.5 Super Takumar (£1.99), Pentax-A 1:1.7 50mm (£4), Cosina 200mm 1.4 (£4.99), 28mm auto Chinon (£4.99) and the 2 kit lenses that came with the K-x.

M42, 28mm 2.8 Cosinon (£4.00), Korvette 135 3.5 (£3.00), the 2 I got today (£8.00), 200 Optomax pre set lens (£10), 100mm Hanimex (£8.00) and the 2 different types of Helios that came with the Zenit cameras (£3 & £4.99).

I have spent £90 on all the above including Cokin A filters and holders (£0.25p each), rubber hoods (£0.25p each), Hoya filters (5 for £1.00) and I have managed to get some decent gear inexpensively. I like most don't have money to waste, so I am choosey and leave many well alone. If I need to haggle then I will but generally I don't as the prices given always seem too low.

The only thing I would like to find now is another 100mm, either in Exakta mount or P/K mount and I will happily pass others on by, unless friends and work colleagues ask me to look for them.

I will also happily look for bargains for folks on here if they so require, but note, if I don't think it is worth it then I leave it alone.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Pancolar has yellow glass, doesnt it?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
I think that Pancolar has yellow glass, doesnt it?

Yes, it has an 8 blade iris and yellow glass probably caused by thorium oxide.

I have not put it too close to my eye and
Quote:
it will be stored in a radioactive bunker or lead lined box
when not in use.

I will check out the radioactive level and store it correctly if required, although I did work with americium-241 which emits gamma & alpha radiation in my younger days.

I will also expose it to UV light to see if that bleaches the lens back to it original state (for a period of time).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent seen Pancolar 50 with yellow glass much. Very Happy
Btw, 3 Pounds for that lens is a steal.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh wrote:
I havent seen Pancolar 50 with yellow glass much. Very Happy
Btw, 3 Pounds for that lens is a steal.
- Thank you!

It has possibly been stored for very long time, I will leave it in the daylight with cap off and see if natural light reduces the yellowing of the self-irradiation. Apart from that there is no haze, fungus or dust. Once I get used to it and if the yellowing doesn't fade hopefully it won't impact too much, if it does then it will be my b&w lens.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!

What a find and also a good story.

I had a good chuckle reading this.

Well done Zelda.

Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto, Thank you!!

I thought I would try and make it a little funny as I did not intend to buy any camera stuff and they were exceptional finds for the money.

What did I not buy yesterday,

M42 Fujinon 50mm, broken plastic trim on focusing ring
M42 Japanese Helios (macro zoom lens, can't remember range), missing focus grip band, tape in its place
Zenit TTL c/w Helios 44M-?
Zenit E c/w Helios 44M-?
Yashica
Minolta

As usual I will be venturing there this coming Sunday, if I find one lens cheap and interesting, then I will mention it here (if anyone wants it for the price mentioned + shipping) then it can move to the relevant part of the site for trading. One stipulation, if it is extremely good value please do not put it on ebay or any other site to sell for a quick profit as that is not what it is intended for and it will spoil it for others especially if I am willing to share any bargain finds with the community over the coming weeks/months.

To make it fair for everybody, it will not be sold to the 1st private message, this is due to this site being visited by fellow enthusiasts from different time zones who will not be expected to be awake at 3am in the morning. If I find something of interest and it interests you please write a brief description of why you and your photography will benefit from it and post it here. But please, if it will not benefit you, by all means look and comment but do not write a description, something else may come along that you will want.

As for deciding who will get the item out of the participants (hopefully thousands of new forum members won't suddenly appear all wanting it), forum names will be put into a box and one will be chosen at random, this will be drawn by an independent person (someone at work who prefers gnomes) and the lucky winner will be notified by a private message. I will try and remember to video this procedure just in case people want to check that it is all above board.

Maybe, just maybe, I can get you a bargain Carl Zeiss, a Pentacon or similar lens for cheap. Yes it is a bit of fun and I won't be successful every week, hopefully the moderators/admin will not be too hard on me.

The item will always be packaged securely, and posted using an (international) signed for service to the winners home/paypal registered address.

Enjoy and lets see if we can make some photographers happy!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow great, thank you very much. Very Happy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
parabellumfoto, Thank you!!

I thought I would try and make it a little funny as I did not intend to buy any camera stuff and they were exceptional finds for the money.

What did I not buy yesterday,

M42 Fujinon 50mm, broken plastic trim on focusing ring
M42 Japanese Helios (macro zoom lens, can't remember range), missing focus grip band, tape in its place
Zenit TTL c/w Helios 44M-?
Zenit E c/w Helios 44M-?
Yashica
Minolta

As usual I will be venturing there this coming Sunday, if I find one lens cheap and interesting, then I will mention it here (if anyone wants it for the price mentioned + shipping) then it can move to the relevant part of the site for trading. One stipulation, if it is extremely good value please do not put it on ebay or any other site to sell for a quick profit as that is not what it is intended for and it will spoil it for others especially if I am willing to share any bargain finds with the community over the coming weeks/months.

To make it fair for everybody, it will not be sold to the 1st private message, this is due to this site being visited by fellow enthusiasts from different time zones who will not be expected to be awake at 3am in the morning. If I find something of interest and it interests you please write a brief description of why you and your photography will benefit from it and post it here. But please, if it will not benefit you, by all means look and comment but do not write a description, something else may come along that you will want.

As for deciding who will get the item out of the participants (hopefully thousands of new forum members won't suddenly appear all wanting it), forum names will be put into a box and one will be chosen at random, this will be drawn by an independent person (someone at work who prefers gnomes) and the lucky winner will be notified by a private message. I will try and remember to video this procedure just in case people want to check that it is all above board.

Maybe, just maybe, I can get you a bargain Carl Zeiss, a Pentacon or similar lens for cheap. Yes it is a bit of fun and I won't be successful every week, hopefully the moderators/admin will not be too hard on me.

The item will always be packaged securely, and posted using an (international) signed for service to the winners home/paypal registered address.

Enjoy and lets see if we can make some photographers happy!

Very generous zelda.
Many thanks
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My MC Rokkor 1.4 50mm

I cropped this image, used noise reduction and resized it. Otherwise it's as is.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good.
Lovely lens.
OH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldhand wrote:
That is good.
Lovely lens.
OH

Thanks OH Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

parabellumfoto, very nice sharp photograph.

I will certainly have to be more creative in the ones I post, but that bush I take so many pictures of is the closest plant to the back door.

As for my idea above, about passing on bargain finds to fellow enthusiasts, I do not want to annoy people by finding cheap lenses and posting the prices paid, as I know it can be a little disheartening if you have paid £50 and I have paid £5. So if this helps newbies, serious snappers or a very casual shutter button pushers get a lens that they may normally pass on due to cost can only be a good thing.

Yes I could put it on ebay or wherever and sell it for a hefty profit, but that does not help others gain something that will aid their photography for a cheap price. If I can share, I will share as photographs are still an important part of social history and the more that can take a good shot, the better the history will be for future generations, at a cost that won't be prohibitive.

Hopefully on Sunday, I will find something nice to share.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodrim wrote:
I think everyone on this forum sooner or later learns the same thing about collecting lenses, or maybe I should say "gathering" lenses. I have way too many lenses, but relatively few when compared to others on this forum. For sure, there is a thrill in getting a lens very inexpensively, especially a very good one, but getting just another average to good lens for cheap will be a short lived thrill. If this is weekend entertainment for you, then have fun; it sure doesn't cost you much. But if the objective is to acquire a fine collection of lenses, you're putting small bits of money out that could be saved for some really good glass. And really good does not necessarily mean expensive, but sometimes does. I've gotten to the point where I don't look for anything but just a very few that have escaped my bargain shopping. I know I don't need another lens just because it's a different brand than what I have.

Well true what you say but when seeing a lens going cheap you don't know how good it is until you try it e.g I saw and bought a Rikenon 28mm f2.8 Pk mount for £3 and it turned out to be a good lens.......now makes sixteen 28mms I own Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur,

Quote:
now makes sixteen 28mms I own Rolling Eyes
, have you uploaded a 28mm thread showing examples from each, that would be interesting to see.

Wow, I thought I was bad with 3 (all different mounts), but they all do perform so differently, my favourite has to be that Welmy 28mm 2.5 just because it makes photos glow wide open!
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-new-purchase-a-welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-t58259.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Excalibur,

Quote:
now makes sixteen 28mms I own Rolling Eyes
, have you uploaded a 28mm thread showing examples from each, that would be interesting to see.

Wow, I thought I was bad with 3 (all different mounts), but they all do perform so differently, my favourite has to be that Welmy 28mm 2.5 just because it makes photos glow wide open!
http://forum.mflenses.com/my-new-purchase-a-welmy-28mm-25-pentax-pk-mount-t58259.html

Well I've only got film cameras and one camera wont take all makes of lenses with test shots at the same time on the same film to eliminate inaccuracies in the results. But I have rewound the film and put it in another camera for a few tests on some different lenses, but it's time consuming.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excalibur,

Quote:
Well I've only got film cameras
that will teach me won't it.

Your thoughts on each will be interesting, photos using different cameras/lenses can be uploaded any time, I am sure people would find it interesting. I know I would.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Excalibur,

Quote:
Well I've only got film cameras
that will teach me won't it.

Your thoughts on each will be interesting, photos using different cameras/lenses can be uploaded any time, I am sure people would find it interesting. I know I would.

Well I have posted shots, but I think most members here want to know how a 35mm lens performs on a digital camera Wink

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well I have posted shots, but I think most members here want to know how a 35mm lens performs on a digital camera Wink

Excalibur, please post the links here, so people can have a look, if they are interested in 35mm lenses on a DSLR, then I best take some pictures of the plant with my 99 pence ($1.53) Steinheil München Culmigon 35mm f4.5 Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zelda_n64 wrote:
Quote:

Excalibur, please post the links here, so people can have a look, if they are interested in 35mm lenses on a DSLR, then I best take some pictures of the plant with my 99 pence ($1.53) Steinheil München Culmigon 35mm f4.5 Laughing

Well the last one were here but remember shots are on a film camera NOT digital so digital members would be less interested as why an old lens will give the same results on any film camera there is no guarantee the same lens will get the same results on ANY digital camera:-
http://forum.mflenses.com/cheap-film-scanner-vs-print-scan-and-lab-scan-t57938.html

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 2 Digital Cameras and then dump all of it.
If you are not in a hurry, film serves well.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kyonthinh, I haven't shot film for about the last 6 years - especially on an SLR camera.

My Ricoh Kr-10 hadn't been used in years, so I gave it away to the chap that has hundreds of 35mm cameras of all shapes and sizes, which he does use. And the last 35mm film camera I actually purchased new and used was a compact zoom, and it was a very good make but utter rubbish. So I gave up and went with an Olympus E-410 digital, which was really nice.

I would like to put a roll of film through the 2 Zenit cameras recently purchased, but I only like matt finish and for some reason, this is always charged as an addition, I remember when it was the norm. I just hate gloss - whether it be paint or photographs.

So, as Sunday looms nearer, what would you really like me to find as I wander around?

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:30 pm    Post subject: A slightly less yellow CZ Pancolar Reply with quote

Just an update on the extremely cheap CZ Pancolar that was yellowing due to the rare earth glass.

As I didn't want to subject this lens to direct sunlight for bleaching purposes, I had the thought that UV light from the sun must reflect and bounce and in theory be everywhere. So with this in mind, I have left the lens with the rear cap off in the daylight since Monday. Just now I went and took some shots, and the yellow (even looking at white paper through it) has significantly decreased.

Here are some shots that I took about half an hour ago.

F8 1/80 sec

wide open 1/500 sec

F8 1/25 sec

wide open 1/320 sec

These are not so yellow as the first images taken with this lens as shown on page 2: http://forum.mflenses.com/i-should-stop-buying-possibly-t58302,start,15.html

I will leave it uncapped in a shaded from the sun room as if it was getting used until Saturday. One thing, I hope giving it a little daylight doesn't devalue it.

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it's not as yellow as it was for sure.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:50 pm    Post subject: What did I buy today that I shouldn't have Reply with quote

So, today I went to that place to see if I could get any bargains in the camera/lens department, and although it was absolutely heaving with people I managed to get:

All the photos of the Carl Zeiss bargain were taken into the sun that was shining through the window.

Industar-50-2 3.5/5 0 complete with front lens cap. It was attached to a Zenit E, and as I already have one of those I didn't really want another one. The man on the stall said if I want just the lens, take it off and give me £3 ($4.67) I didn't refuse or haggle any more on that one and I thanked him for being so kind and generous:

The Industar is extremely sharp for such small lens and I am extremely impressed with it:

My next purchase was a Chinon CX camera with a 55mm 1:1.7 lens c/w front cap, case & strap - cost £5.00 ($7.79):

The Chinon 50mm 1:1.7 will need a good work out to push its capabilities, very good condition, smooth focus and very clean:

Next came a Pentax ME super with a SMC Pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7 lens and front cap - £5.00 ($7.79):

The camera works perfectly and all light lights up inside, the lens however does have fungus.

Considering the lens has fungus the test image isn't too bad,

I looked at the Zenit TTL a couple of weeks ago and wanted to add it to my other 2 Zenit collection.

A very nice TTL with a Helios 44m and Zenit lens cap - cost (I did haggle on this) and managed to get it for £7.eighty5 ($12.22)

I again thanked the seller for allowing it to be sold for such a great price.

First shot not too bad, but again, I would have to get use to this:

Not a bad day. I will give the bodies to the chap I know so he can put a film through them and check for light leaks, although looking at the cases all seem to be in very good condition. These I will keep and will get no more.

As mentioned last week, I was going to offer an item that I purchased for a great deal - with a forum user name drawn out of a box at work by the chap that prefers gnomes to cameras/photography.

Here I am in a little quandary, as the only lens I would let go would be the Pentax-m 50mm 1:1.7, not because of the fungus but because I already have the Pentax-A version. I could take it apart myself and use it as a housing for my 1920's lens Contessa-Nettel Conastigmat but that seems a real shame as the focus, iris, body etc. are all in very good condition.

I will look at guides on how to clean the inside of this lens.

Last edited by zelda_n64 on Tue May 21, 2013 5:29 am; edited 5 times in total