Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I found a very useful trick for 5D owners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: I found a very useful trick for 5D owners Reply with quote

As you know, the 5D has a problem in keeping consistency with light metering when using manual focus lenses stopped down.
In other words, stopping down a manual lens of one stop requires usually to underexpose the 5D of half stop in order to keep a consistent metering.

Well, I was resigned to what seemed to be a destiny, when today I have changed the focusing screen, mounting a EE-S model.
It's not the screen per se, but the fact that I had to go into the Custom Preferences of the 5D, and there, change the screen metering preset from the default screen to the EE-S screen.

Well... believe it or not, since I have made the change, the 5D has become consistent with the metering!!
Not completely consistent, but consistent enough to take pictures well - I'd say, consistent as the 400D (which only requires very minor adjustment).

Now, I don't know if the improvement is due only to the change of preset in the 5D preferences, or if the EE-S screen influences the metering positively (I surely won't reinstall the standard screen just to find out), but for sure I know that now my 5D meters like a normal camera also with the manual lenses!!!!! Very Happy

_

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! This will be more comfortable to you.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: Sorry, I didn't saw the main thread about this screen.

Sounds very interesting. I've read about the screen in the manual after we bought the camera. But I've heard it isn't as bright as the original one. Is this true? Remarkable true? Do I get trouble with Yvonne if I change the screen one night... ? Very Happy

Michael

Last edited by Borges on Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Sounds very interesting. I've read about the screen in the manual after we bought the camera. But I've heard it isn't as bright as the original one. Is this true? Remarkable true? Do I get trouble with Yvonne if I change the screen one night... ? Very Happy
Michael

A little darker but the advantages overcome the disadvantages.
I wrote about it here:
http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=1630

But what you can try right now, is - if you are experiencing the same exposure inconsistency problems with manual lenses - to try and set the custom preferences, screen option, to "EE-S", even if you haven't the actual screen mounted - perhaps the different preset will help with metering never the less.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Borges wrote:
Do I get trouble with Yvonne if I change the screen one night... ? Very Happy
Michael

Today I have tried with the Jupiter-37 and had no problem focusing in full sun.
Admittedly it becomes a tad too dark in the shade, but I don't think the standard screen does much brighter than this anyway.
CHanging screens is as easy as eating an ice cream - you can get the EE-S and mount it, and if you don't like it, just take it off and resell it.
30 euros are a moderate risk investment.
I will keep the EE-S - I find the advantage of the clearer focusing bigger than the disadvantage of the slight darkening.