Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I could not resist
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: I could not resist Reply with quote

And got my second Sonnar 4/135 Rolling Eyes

Click here to see on Ebay

I couldn't resist it in mint condition for 39 Euros...

Official excuse? It takes photos like this:

Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 4/135 - slightly stopped down

100% crop slightly stopped down, not sharpened:

100% crop slightly stopped down, not sharpened:

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beautiful lens, nice samples ! I never can ressist if I can see nice Carl Zeiss Jena or Meyer lenses.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess who did you overbid Orio? (It would have been my second too Razz)

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A G Photography wrote:

oops... sorry! Embarassed
But knowing it was a double for you also, it makes me feel better Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
A G Photography wrote:

oops... sorry! Embarassed
But knowing it was a double for you also, it makes me feel better Very Happy

Don't you worry, they are pretty commons and I just like to have one in alu finish (I have the black MC one).

And yes it takes great 3d shots like this:

My dream is being able to use the Sonnar 50 on a digital camera, don't know how though.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio
It looks beautiful and what a condition. Price is crazy for such a lens.

AG

watch out for bidding from pachaol on the next one - I must go for it. Smile Smile Smile Smile

patrickh

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

congrats Orio, nice piece of metal!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ORIO:
Laughing Great, great and great pictures.
Yours 135 zeiss are wonderfull. In 2007 I sold my sonnar jena 135 3,5 MC. I'm so sorry about it, that the monday I will buy one sonnar MC again.
You must be happy. Excelent for you. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys you are killing me over here ... I'm not supposed to buy any lenses the next couple of months Mad

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotal wrote:
guys you are killing me over here ... I'm not supposed to buy any lenses the next couple of months Mad

That is simple not possible Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Fotal
Eat and pay yours debts tomorrow. Today buy the lens that you like. All of us do it, man. Embarassed Laughing Laughing

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

estudleon wrote:
In 2007 I sold my sonnar jena 135 3,5 MC. I'm so sorry about it, that the monday I will buy one sonnar MC again.

I am not noticing a big performance difference because of multicoating. The single coating of the alu version seems strong enough to handle most tasks, even against the sun.
On the other hand, I seem to prefer the more "organic" bokeh of the alu version.
And as a second plus, the alu version has 8 blades instead of 6 of the MC. If you shoot wide open does not matter, but if you like to stop down a bit, it can really improve the performance in the highlights. What makes it worse for the MC, in the first two stops the MC has the infamous "ninja star" shape that pesters even fantastic lenses like the Planar 1.4/85 west germany version.

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like the Swedish hockey coach asking the Canadian coach on tips how to beat them Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:
even fantastic lenses like the Planar 1.4/85 west germany version.

oh, that was news to me. Are there other versions of this 85 that doesn't have that?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fotal wrote:
Are there other versions of this 85 that doesn't have that?

the 85 MM doesn't have the ninja star

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Looks really mint!
The fact that you bought another one shows that you really like this lens. Wink

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orion: I can tell you that in my MC that I sold, at 250x, and F/4 and 5,6, I never saw ninja nothing. May be differents copies, in the jena controls.......
But you forget the best singularity of the 3,5 zebra (not MC), it enlarged the apertura as you focus close. The MC haven't it.
The MC is contrastier than the zebra (I had both), and plus in contrast was a tendency that Zeiss (and others brands) look for (others not, like MC minolta, not MD, and leica lenses previous to 1972). You know that the contrast generate a sharpest sensation. And it can be a great difference between both pictures. Then I prefer the MC . Ah.. if I buy one MC with the ninja star shape (like the fujinon sp 85 mm F/4 at 4 and 5,6), I will return this because it is faulty. Remember, Orion, that MC, zebra and the F/4 have the same formula lens (4 elements ) and the same class of glass - Schott ones-. And then, if the MC produced ninja stars, the non MC what? Flare absolute? Hum.... Well, Orion, differents points of view. Good luck.