Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I can't stand them anymore
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiralcity wrote:
Well Orio, I do understand your frustration but I think art is in the eye of the beholder.

A artist with a good eye can make creative images with any camera. I have found quite a few interesting photos taken with Holgas.

Maybe its the attitude you despise and not so much the cheap camera?

I find all these images quite creative and very pleasant to my eye.

Holga

Holga

Holga

The problem is not the camera, if not the horde of fools who believe that with a Holga or a Lomo is sufficient to be an artist.
And it became fashionable !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So do not believe in art critics.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:
spiralcity wrote:
Well Orio, I do understand your frustration but I think art is in the eye of the beholder.

A artist with a good eye can make creative images with any camera. I have found quite a few interesting photos taken with Holgas.

Maybe its the attitude you despise and not so much the cheap camera?

I find all these images quite creative and very pleasant to my eye.

Holga

Holga

Holga

The problem is not the camera, if not the horde of fools who believe that with a Holga or a Lomo is sufficient to be an artist.
So do not believe in art critics.

I dont belive in anything but my own eye.
The images I posted please my eye regardless of the camera that was used to create them.

NOTE:

It's not the camera that counts, It's the photographer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.
It's not the camera, It's the photographer.
Not everything that is done with a Holga is bad, not everything is art.
Your photos are good.
Not talking about them, if the orientation that was imposed on the "art" in a moment. Where all do the same, copied the same. And if you do you are dangerous and are out.
Greetings Smile

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio wrote:

I am basically of your opinion.
I never work hard in photoshop on a photo. All my photoshop work usually is limited to removing that sensor dust spot. Other simple work (reframing, adjusting white balance or saturation) I do directly in the RAW software.
Very rarely I make an exception when I have a very special and not replicable photo that needs to be rescued. But that happens, like, one time a year.
I agree with your concept: if I need to work hard in Photoshop on my photos, then it means that I've been sloppy or plain wrong at the shooting time. Which then usually means that unless exceptional cases, the photos do not deserve all that work to be saved.

Good Christ!!! You shoot digital????

ohhh the banality!!!

it's the butler calling the footman a cad..

just kidding

but holga schmulga, i say.

The image is interesting or it is not.

Some images depend on the striking clarity your carefully selected kit can produce--maybe the contrast and color as well.

Then you see an image like that Vivian Maier shot of the gal in the white dress at night approching the car at night.

Now I admit the white dress didn't hit me at first like it has so many.

here's something I don't hate looking at for at least 15 seconds:

by design4food

God knows there are uninteresting images from every source. Can you really say you never saw a single holga image you didn't hate? (that's oversimplfying your point, i know)

I mean one might easily say: I can't stand images with the color removed. And god knows there is no faster way to make a crappy photo into pusedo-art than to go B&W. It somehow nulifies judgement and replaces it with the same sort of nostalgia and forgiveness you get looking at a well-dressed corpse.

I suppose implicit in your annoyance is the duplcity of image and photographer. Fantastic shots can come from otherwise unremarkable shooters.

I think it's the randomness that really gets you.

A true contest of photographers would be to turn them loose somewhere with a single shot limit in 24 hours.

I know I would not stand a chance in those parameters--I shoot the crap out of everything and find a few I can stand.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same people using the Holgas are the people who only a few years back were haunting Goodwill looking for Old Polaroids to do their "art" thing with. Only now getting Polaroid film costs so they have to use something that they can more easily afford. My roommate used to do this with Polaroids, take blurry pics of herself in the bathroom mirror and call it art.

Whatever...

I can well understand the charm of old cameras, SPII girl here, and I don't even mind a grunge filter used appropriately now and again for the sake of fun. But slapping a grunge filter on a bad photo isn't art. A light leak seldom is art.

It's pretentious BS that any 6 year old can do, but then again so is about 65% of anything you see in half the modern art exhibits around the globe. One dot on a canvas does NOT a painting make, sorry.

There's real art and there's art for made for the posers. The former sometimes ends up in museums but usually the latter has the bigger price tag, unless of course the painter, who probably wasn't appreciated or popular enough in his or her lifetime is long dead and preferably had a tragic story attached to his/her art. Then of course it sells, and in the end that's what most "art" is about these days, how much $$$$ it can command.

If a trendy "artist" sneezes, then puts their wadded up, snot filled kleenex on a canvas, touches it with gold and hangs it on a wall, that in some people's minds will be ART.

Go figure...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
+1

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humerous read but you're right magkelly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

A true contest of photographers would be to turn them loose somewhere with a single shot limit in 24 hours.

Yes, and with a P&S 35mm with a fixed focal length lens.

And, being a self-taught artist, I'm pretty much in total agreement with Mag Kelly too.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I see in my country (USA) is a group of art insiders who went to the same schools and subscribe to the same aesthetic. They exhibit and create mundane images which make photography into a boring medium, which appears to make it seem that, as my mentor used to say (sarcastically): "Anyone can do it, it's the button on the right."

That's part of the art world, but in the end, real artists will survive the test of time. I prefer those with a unique vision, those who's work you can recognize without being told who created it.

This thing, this finding a unique voice can be very difficult but is most important.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

Yes, and with a P&S 35mm with a fixed focal length lens.

Make it a 3-day, 1 shot per day.

Day 1: what you say
Day 2: whatever they like to use--but 1 shot only
Day 3: holga

Could be a fantastic reality show.

Each week a different location. Horrible nasty judges. Online voting.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh7 wrote:

And one I most assuredly would not watch.

Can't stand "reality" shows.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cooltouch wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

What, you missed Sarah Palin's Alaska?

hehe, I don't watch em either, but the thought of 5 determined shooters fanning out with reality camera crews in tow looking for that one great canidid.....

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhoh- what a concept! You should pitch that to Hollywood (if it hasn't happened already)!
Twisted Evil

Haley, you nasty coffee-drinking hypocrite- you forgot to mention that you use a lensbaby!
Twisted Evil

I don't care what people shoot as long as they help keep film alive, especially medium format.
Cool

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been done in UK where they gave various people a camera phone, a P&S a bridge camera and a DSLR..

The most intersting images often came from the P&S where the lack of fussing over controls gave a ceertain spontainaity, the camera phone ones were almost always blurry and often the bridge camera was too slow.. so the winners were usually the fast simple P&S and the DSLR?

Doug

uhoh7 wrote:
cooltouch wrote:
uhoh7 wrote:

What, you missed Sarah Palin's Alaska?

hehe, I don't watch em either, but the thought of 5 determined shooters fanning out with reality camera crews in tow looking for that one great canidid.....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orio has reinvented the argument of Tom Wolfe and applied it to photography.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Painted_Word

Very funny book really.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2011 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

francotirador wrote:

So what's the problem? As long as they are happy with the work they produce?

Nobody forces me to take cliché pictures with a toy camera, but if someone else feels that need ... please feel free to do so.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't like reality shows to begin with. But even the thought of a weekly reality show with Sarah Palin in it is enough to make me gag. If that woman were to ever win a presidential election I would probably marry an 80 year old lecherous undertaker if that's what it would take to get my arse out of this country permanently.

At that point. I don't think I could take it, stay here and not end up raving in a mental hospital over what my country has become. That woman in office would end up making Bush look like a lightweight in the "I'm so mentally deficient I should be committed for everyone's own good before it's too late" department and we'd never survive any war she'd participate in.

I'd love to see a competent female president in office in my lifetime. (Or a competent male president either for that matter.) But Palin?

Oh F- NO!

That woman is completely NUTS and every word out of her mouth lately confirms it. Let her stay a television personality. I don't have to watch her in that case. But if she becomes president I'm giving up on my birth country and running for Europe because at that point I will KNOW that America has truly gone to H-E-L-L and there is no chance of recovery.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

magkelly wrote:
I would probably marry an 80 year old lecherous undertaker if that's what it would take to get my arse out of this country permanently.

That's a shame, I'm only 64. Will you still marry me ? Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeyore_nl wrote:
francotirador wrote:

So what's the problem? As long as they are happy with the work they produce?

Nobody forces me to take cliché pictures with a toy camera, but if someone else feels that need ... please feel free to do so.

Yes, and as long as they're at it, I wish they would please use lots and lots of various types of film. Lots and lots of film!

Mag, you have nothing to worry about. The mainstream media is in the middle of doing to Palin what they did to Newt Gingrich and to Dick Cheney. When they are finished with their process of demonization -- which they are very good at, you gotta admit -- the Republicans will be running and hiding from her, being the cowards they are, and not having the guts to stand up for their own principles.