Home

Please support mflenses.com if you need any graphic related work order it from us, click on above banner to order!

SearchSearch MemberlistMemberlist RegisterRegister ProfileProfile Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages Log inLog in

I am about to run first roll and we have IMAGES
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: I am about to run first roll and we have IMAGES Reply with quote

I hope to run my first roll today. Here are the steps that I intend to take:

Spool film in the dark
Place reel in Paterson tank in the dark
Put tank funnel in place in the dark
Put agitation cylinder into tank in the dark
Turn on light
Pour in developer, start timer, agitate with cylinder, put on lid
Agitate as instructed
Remove lid and dump developer
Add distilled water and agitate for 30 seconds
Dump distilled water
Pour in fixer solution, agitate frequently for 2-4 minutes
Dump fixer
Wash in running water for 20-30 minutes
Photo-flo solution for 30 seconds
Hang to dry

What am I missing?

Last edited by fish4570 on Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use tap water instead of distilled water. Works fine for a stop bath… I also usually do a pre-soak with water, i.e. put in water for a minute or so before developer.

I also replace the photo-flo with a drop of dish-washing soap instead, but of course if you already have the photo-flo, one bottle will last for so long that the cost per film is negligible.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before pouring the developper, "pre-wet" the film with water 5 minutes to avoid air bubbles.

Between developper and fixer, I just rinse with water. In the past, I used a mixture of water and vinegar but I really hate the smell ...

The tap water has an ideal Ph (thanks to a water softener). I use distilled water for the last wash, no wetting agent

In fact, the only chemical profuct I use is the fixer. I developp with instant coffee Laughing

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Paterson tank instructions say it is lightproof when the funnel is twisted on. Is this true?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
The Paterson tank instructions say it is lightproof when the funnel is twisted on. Is this true?

Make sure the reel is bone dry before starting. Plastic reels really suck if they are even a little damp.

Yes on the light tightness. Be sure to turn the funnel clockwise to seat it in the tank, tap the tank to remove the bubbles as has been already suggested, and as already suggested, use water as a stop bath, but rinse a couple of times if using water as a stop bath.

Keep the temp. as close as possible wth all the liquids.

You should be OK.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The distilled water is only needed for the final wash, to avoid leaving drying stains.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie, dokies. Thanks, fellas. Still waiting for night to fall ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Film is drying now. Things look sharp.

Hallelujah! Will get the negs scanned Monday morning.

Well, not really my first roll. But it has been 30-something years, and boy did I have buck fever (bad case of nerves for you non-hunters) ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Walgreens' scanner computer said my negatives are too "light" and will not scan. They look dense enough to me, with good range. Rats ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:
Well, Walgreens' scanner computer said my negatives are too "light" and will not scan. They look dense enough to me, with good range. Rats ...

Fish, Walgreens is BS! "Light" negs scan excellently and allow you to add lots of contrast if wanted. Go somewhere else. I would do it for you but my sacnner has issues at the moment (Scratches on the negs).

Jules

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish4570 wrote:

Wow that is messed up. Software surely can be forced to cough up test roll scans or adjust exposure; if losing future sales isn't enough incentive, operator might learn how to please a kind customer by getting help or looking for scanner docs. Maybe someone else there is scanner expert. Maybe your wife can help? Wink

I wonder what would happen take a roll of this and a roll they scanned before; for new scans would computer reject both rolls?

Very odd imho. Of course you know what a good negative looks like. Comparing side by side with neg that scanned okay should show huge density difference if Walgreen's computer is right.

Foxes ...or fleas Laughing I bet if you showed up with a cart full of film to scan they would have noooooooooo problem Sir!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is an utter lack of in-depth training for the young man who tried to help me; not his fault. There is a pro shop I can try, but a 30-mile one-way drive. Might be worth it ...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A scanner will scan anything you can put under the lid (no suggestions please!), faint or dense. It's the software that does the corrections, not the scanner.

Paul, after a few of those 60-mile round trips you'll be wondering why you haven't bought a scanner of your own.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am mentally shopping right now. The Epson v300 seems to be highly thought of. I can get one new - from Walmart, of all places - for $81 ...